+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Apple Biometrics! are they secure? in Other News; Hi All, According to this video: hacking iphone 5S touchID - YouTube could it be that the latest IPhone has ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts

Apple Biometrics! are they secure?

Hi All,
    According to this video: hacking iphone 5S touchID - YouTube could it be that the latest IPhone has vunerabilities in trying to make things easier for the enduser?

What do you all think?

Thank Post
    Standard fingerprint bypassing from what I've heard. Doesn't show how they produced that replica so you don't know if that is the result of non stop tinkering since the iPhone was released or 5 minutes with some PVA. So if you are keeping nuclear secrets on your phone it probably isn't any safer. For day to day protection and ease of use wouldn't be worried.

Thank Post
    not on the iphone but mythbusters did that ages ago with what was then a state of the art door lock that the manufacturer said couldnt be bypassed and they did it. IMO fingerprint readers arnt secure they are just convinient to use for low security stuff like say library software to book out a book sounds odd with the yank narator

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apple bringing out a pointless and potentially dangerous feature... never
    "managed to break Apple's TouchID using everyday material and methods available on the web. Explaining their method on their website, the CCC hackers have claimed that all they did was photograph a fingerprint from a glass surface, ramped up the resolution of the photographed fingerprint, inverted and printed it using thick toner settings, smeared pink latex milk or white woodglue onto the pattern, lifted the latex sheet, moistened it a little and then placed it on the iPhone 5S's fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone."Update: 09/22 21:32 GMT by T :Reader mask.of.sanity adds a link to a video of the hack.
    CCC Says Apple iPhone 5S TouchID Broken - Slashdot

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Apple bringing out a pointless and potentially dangerous feature... never CCC Says Apple iPhone 5S TouchID Broken - Slashdot
    Waste of time / effort and money etc. I still have the 5 ( not the C or S ) Just the 5 as I don't want a finger print reader !!!

Thank Post
    As much as I don't really like Apple products - I feel they're bloated, overpriced, overhyped, and I hate how you can't customise them - I can't help but think people are over-reacting.
    This fingerprint reader is meant to stop your friends looking through your texts, or seeing those naughties you sent to your significant other. Nobody is keeping nuclear launch codes, government secrets or FBI information on them, regardless of how self-important their owners may be (not all of you, mind, but obviously there are some). Plus, a thief isn't likely to go through all this effort unless they're stealing iPhone 5S's on a massive scale.

That doesn't mean it's acceptable to be insecure, just saying, it's being blown out of proportion a little bit. Put it in perspective.

Much better than a fingerprint scanner would be vigilant protection of your property. I fear a lot of iPhone owners will be more lax with their new shiny because they're thinking 'Nobody can break my fingerprint'. Much like the iOS7 waterproofing..

Thank Post
    Getting into devices shouldn't be done with information that is publicly available.

You can always change a password.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It falls back to a password/pin code anyway right?

So, no, it's no more secure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    It falls back to a password/pin code anyway right?

So, no, it's no more secure.
    I believe ( could be wrong here ) that you can register for a me / icloud account for free, enable find me iOS device on said device whether iPhone / iPad etc and have a pin on the device anyway. I don 't think there are any other settings ( aside from adding the same icloud account details onto the device ) but you can remotely wipe the device and as of iOS 7 should lock the phone completely unless they know the logon details for the icloud account. You can still track the iOS device etc using your icloud account from another device

Not saying its perfect but hey ho
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th September 2013 at 09:49 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread