+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Google Helpouts - A new video chat service where experts can sell their assistance in Other News; Interesting new service from Google: helpouts.google.com Source : Android Police The idea behind Helpouts is that folks with a certain ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts

Google Helpouts - A new video chat service where experts can sell their assistance

Interesting new service from Google: helpouts.google.com

Source: Android Police

The idea behind Helpouts is that folks with a certain area of expertise will set up an account with their skills, qualifications, availability and rate. Then users in need of a helping hand will be matched with the right experts in a live video chat. The service will be tied into Google+, but what isn't these days? Experts that charge will take payments through Google Wallet, and Google will get a 20% cut. If a user isn't happy with the service, Google is promising a 100% money back guarantee.

According to the support pages, Helpouts will work with desktops, Android, and iOS. Experts will also be able to build their offerings like a multi-level course with additional materials to go along with the video chats. None of this is live yet, but you can request an invite for when Helpouts gets up and running.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The idea behind Helpouts is that folks with a certain area of expertise will set up an account with their skills, qualifications, availability and rate.
    Interesting - I spoke to a startup company running a very similar-sounding system a year or two ago at a jobs fair. I'd be interested to see this working, and how they'd get around the potential problem of this becoming full of adult content (I'm sure with Google's expertise and resources this is quite solveable).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if the amount of IT 'professionals' signing up their services for that will correspond with an increase in hi-jacked computers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    how will you know if the person or people you speak to are actually giving you genuine help / advise as opposed to making you do things that may make the situation worse ( depending on what the original issue was )

Presume they will do this for repairing cars and other things not just computers running slow or my computer has malware or viruses / trojans etc ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Helpouts has officially launched.

Website / Blog / App (Android)

Last edited by Arthur; 5th November 2013 at 07:28 AM.

Thank Post
    This isn't a new idea. About 15 years ago when I worked on HP-UX and AIX, both HP and IBM hosted websites where you could post support calls. These calls could be answered by anyone who signed up as an answerer. The person who logged the call, rated your answer on a scale of 0 to 5, and over time your points were totted up. When you had a certain number, you could trade them in. With HP, you got goods; my colleague managed a cap, a few T-Shirts and eventually a PC. He did have to pay VAT on it, but still a good deal. With AIX, which I did, it was much better. You just got good old fashioned money. I managed a few hundred dollars over the five years I was involved in the scheme.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread