+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
IT News Thread, [Guardian] Schools ask parents to stump upfor iPads in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts

[Guardian] Schools ask parents to stump upfor iPads

Schools ask parents to stump up £200 for iPads | Guardian

" Now, ahead of the new school year in September, many schools are asking parents to stump up between £200 and £300 for an iPad or other tablet for their child, or pay for a device in instalments that can vary from £12 to £30 a month, as they rush to keep at the head ofthe information revolution."

Anyone on here got a school doing this?

" Providing tablets is not an unquestioned money saver for schools. Honywood community science school in Essex gave all its 1,200 pupils a tablet computer for free, although it did ask for a £50 contribution towards insurance. The cost was estimated at around £500,000. But 489 tablets had to be replaced after a year, while four out of 10 needed to be sent for repairs."

This doesn't sound good, but I am not surprised.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 28th July 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    We tell all 6th formers to bring in their own devices. KS4 it's 'recommended' but not compulsary.
    We have a bursary scheme for students who can't afford it to get a device provided by the school.
    The breakage rate is also high (50%) for devices provided by the school but much lower when the students or parents pay for them.

Thank Post
    We were looking at something like this a few years ago (we compared laptops, tablets, etc) and in the end, not only was the initial cost high, but also the running costs (this would have included the VDI infrastructure, the increased IT Support staff, network infrastructure, etc)...

Thank Post
    Not quite yet. We are running a trial with chromebooks this year, with the intention that they will be rolled out to year 7 from Sept 2014. I suspect it will quickly become unsustainable - the devices themselves are not very robust. They scuff and scratch up easily and tatty devices will not be well looked after by students. Still, TPTB have spoken and we, we obey!

Thank Post
    We used to have a laptop scheme.

Parents would pay a set amount per month and all repairs were fixed under warranty and insurance.

It was more trouble than its worth, high costly outlay with laptops ruined within a year or two.

Thank Post
    But did the grades improve?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    This is what I asked our Head when he wanted 1400 iPads. I said prove it improves grades and I will support it. As yet every single article or school he has pointed me to I have countered it views. iPads are great 1:1 tools for home, but in my eyes no where near as good as a laptop or netbook for what the students/staff "actually" need to use it for.

Thank Post
    We did a trial several (4?) years ago with netbooks given to Year 8 and 9 classes and one set given to a teacher for use in all their classes. Our data didn't show any statistically significant difference between groups with netbooks and groups without.

IMO a lot of data that does proport to show gains associated with the introduction of technology, fails to decouple the changes in teaching culture that are usually a part of the overall project. I suspect you would get the same improvement if you put the same effort into (say) pencil and paper or <gasp> books. That's not to say technology isn't important, but the stats trotted out by the likes of the E-Learning foundation are not ... 'robust'.

Thank Post
    It's also worth looking at attendance figures etc.
    2 or 3 hundred pounds every couple of years isn't a great deal of money in the context of how much each pupil brings into the school ( £4k per yearish depending upon your area, pupil premium, sixth form etc.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is my question every time this subject is brought up. I've seen statistics for one school saying they had an increase in grades but when compared with the national average? They had increased less.

There are countless examples of students themselves thinking the devices are a waste of time too, literally, as many students spend their time messing around on their device rather than actually working.

Without a complete rethink of the curriculum to integrate the devices, combined with a thorough staff training course, they can't make much difference.

Thank Post
    One of my friends son's goes to a school that requires kids have iPad's, they've currently got iPad 2's but they're moving to iPad mini's and still wanting the same £16/mo!

He still treats it as a toy and spends most of his time at home playing on it... I can't imagine its much different at school as he spends time on facebook during lessons. He's also ended up buying dozens of paid apps because "the free ones are rubbish" - giving 13 year olds their own ipad's is crazy. Part of me thinks that if they were given laptops or netbooks they'd be used more for work had have far less of the fun/shiny shiny factor

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seriously? If that is the main definition of success, then we should go back to the rote classroom lessons of 50 years ago and abandon everything else, pack all the computers back in the box and pull out pen and paper. Done and dusted.

http://danhaesler.com/tag/grades/

http://youtu.be/zT4i3MqhJXs

I know people like to have some quantitative measure to justify success, but grades aren't the best measure. Just ask the Finns.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    One of my friends son's goes to a school that requires kids have iPad's, they've currently got iPad 2's but they're moving to iPad mini's and still wanting the same £16/mo!

He still treats it as a toy and spends most of his time at home playing on it... I can't imagine its much different at school as he spends time on facebook during lessons. He's also ended up buying dozens of paid apps because "the free ones are rubbish" - giving 13 year olds their own ipad's is crazy. Part of me thinks that if they were given laptops or netbooks they'd be used more for work had have far less of the fun/shiny shiny factor
    Parents (or teachers in the classroom) having seemingly NO CONTROL over 13 year olds and letting them play games or post on Facebook on iPads (or any device) whenever they want or purchase whatever apps they want is the real, actual problem you've pointed out. That is a social problem, not a technical problem. It has nothing to do with the iPads (or Chromebooks, or Galaxy Tabs, or MS Surface, etc.).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I know people like to have some quantitative measure to justify success, but grades aren't the best measure. Just ask the Finns.
    So what is?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Seriously? If that is the main definition of success, then we should go back to the rote classroom lessons of 50 years ago and abandon everything else, pack all the computers back in the box and pull out pen and paper. Done and dusted.

http://danhaesler.com/tag/grades/

http://youtu.be/zT4i3MqhJXs

Not sure what you think schools are there for, if you think requiring improvements in pupil outcomes is strange when wanting to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast