+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
IT News Thread, Yahoo Offers Abandoned E-Mail Addresses For Re-Use in Other News; Link 1: Yahoo giving people chance to request up to 5 email addresses from pool of dead accounts | Fox ...
  1. #1

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,716
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1124

    Yahoo Offers Abandoned E-Mail Addresses For Re-Use

    Link 1: Yahoo giving people chance to request up to 5 email addresses from pool of dead accounts | Fox News

    Make your request for up to 5 Yahoo addresses via the wish list:

    Link 2: Yahoo! Wish List

    If you have old Yahoo! contacts that you haven't heard from in a while it might be time to delete them from your contacts otherwise you could be sending your message to a complete stranger.

  2. #2

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,432
    Thank Post
    1,432
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Rep Power
    705
    This looks like an accident waiting to happen...

    Picture this:
    Joe Bloggs registered an account with GambleYourCash.com a couple of years ago using jb@yahoo.com. He only used the site once, but registered his card for a free 10 bet and never went back because their odds were rubbish.
    He then moved over to gmail and forgot about his old yahoo email.
    Jim Bloggs now requests use of jb@yahoo.com and gets it. He signs up for GambleYourCash.com but is informed he's already registered, so gets sent a new password. Upon logging in, he sees good old Joe's card details are still sat there, so places a few 1,000 bets for a laugh.

    [NOTE: GambleYourCash.com does not, as far as I'm aware, exist]

    I know that's a very simple way of looking at it, and I know Yahoo claim they have measures in place to help sites recognise a recycled email address, but they can't honestly expect every webmaster in the world to start running additional checks on email addresses just because they've decided they want to offer this service.

    I give it 3 months (from launch) before some major privacy breaches are reported because of somebody exploiting this service.

  3. #3

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,131
    Thank Post
    1,907
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    This looks like an accident waiting to happen...

    Picture this:
    Joe Bloggs registered an account with GambleYourCash.com a couple of years ago using jb@yahoo.com. He only used the site once, but registered his card for a free 10 bet and never went back because their odds were rubbish.
    He then moved over to gmail and forgot about his old yahoo email.
    Jim Bloggs now requests use of jb@yahoo.com and gets it. He signs up for GambleYourCash.com but is informed he's already registered, so gets sent a new password. Upon logging in, he sees good old Joe's card details are still sat there, so places a few 1,000 bets for a laugh.

    [NOTE: GambleYourCash.com does not, as far as I'm aware, exist]

    I know that's a very simple way of looking at it, and I know Yahoo claim they have measures in place to help sites recognise a recycled email address, but they can't honestly expect every webmaster in the world to start running additional checks on email addresses just because they've decided they want to offer this service.

    I give it 3 months (from launch) before some major privacy breaches are reported because of somebody exploiting this service.
    You've hit the nail on the head there. Stupid idea from Yahoo.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    binladen@yahoo.com? The guys dead so won't be needing it!!

  5. #5
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,022
    Thank Post
    803
    Thanked 346 Times in 270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    This looks like an accident waiting to happen...

    Picture this:
    Joe Bloggs registered an account with GambleYourCash.com a couple of years ago using jb@yahoo.com. He only used the site once, but registered his card for a free 10 bet and never went back because their odds were rubbish.
    He then moved over to gmail and forgot about his old yahoo email.
    Jim Bloggs now requests use of jb@yahoo.com and gets it. He signs up for GambleYourCash.com but is informed he's already registered, so gets sent a new password. Upon logging in, he sees good old Joe's card details are still sat there, so places a few 1,000 bets for a laugh.

    [NOTE: GambleYourCash.com does not, as far as I'm aware, exist]

    I know that's a very simple way of looking at it, and I know Yahoo claim they have measures in place to help sites recognise a recycled email address, but they can't honestly expect every webmaster in the world to start running additional checks on email addresses just because they've decided they want to offer this service.

    I give it 3 months (from launch) before some major privacy breaches are reported because of somebody exploiting this service.
    This is why I renewed my first domain, it's blackholing E-Mail from sites I used to sign up to a decade ago but forgot about.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,711
    Thank Post
    220
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,927 Posts
    Rep Power
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I give it 3 months (from launch) before some major privacy breaches are reported because of somebody exploiting this service.


    Some Yahoo users describe recycled email addresses as a security nightmare The Verge

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    This looks like an accident waiting to happen...

    Picture this:
    Joe Bloggs registered an account with GambleYourCash.com a couple of years ago using jb@yahoo.com. He only used the site once, but registered his card for a free 10 bet and never went back because their odds were rubbish.
    He then moved over to gmail and forgot about his old yahoo email.
    Jim Bloggs now requests use of jb@yahoo.com and gets it. He signs up for GambleYourCash.com but is informed he's already registered, so gets sent a new password. Upon logging in, he sees good old Joe's card details are still sat there, so places a few 1,000 bets for a laugh.

    [NOTE: GambleYourCash.com does not, as far as I'm aware, exist]

    I know that's a very simple way of looking at it, and I know Yahoo claim they have measures in place to help sites recognise a recycled email address, but they can't honestly expect every webmaster in the world to start running additional checks on email addresses just because they've decided they want to offer this service.

    I give it 3 months (from launch) before some major privacy breaches are reported because of somebody exploiting this service.
    To be honest a gambling site would have their own controls to stop something like this - even with your own account you can't just go and deposit thousands straight away, you need to go through the whole 3D secure process to deposit money and I'm pretty sure a sudden 1000 deposit from a dormant account would flag up something on the betting sites fraud alerts

  8. #8

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,432
    Thank Post
    1,432
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Rep Power
    705
    Well, that didn't take long: BBC News - Yahoo in recycled email privacy row

    EDIT: whoops, just noticed @Arthur already posted about this - the man is an IT news machine!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 26th September 2013 at 03:27 PM.

  9. #9

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,716
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1124
    Link: Microsoft is quietly recycling Outlook email accounts | PCWorld

    ...The Microsoft Services Agreement mentions that users are required to log in to their Microsoft accounts "periodically, at a minimum of every 270 days, to keep the Microsoft branded services portion of the services active." Otherwise "we may cancel your access" and "your data may be permanently deleted from our servers."

    Microsoft does not mention the possibility that email account names will be recycled. The company confirms that this is the policy, however. When the account becomes inactive "the email account is automatically queued for deletion from our servers. Then, after a total of 360 days, the email account name is made available again," according to an email statement from Microsoft...
    ...Google, meanwhile, has confirmed to Webwereld that it does not recycle unused accounts. Users can delete their accounts, but this "won't free up your username. Once you delete your Gmail address, you won't be able to use that same username (username@gmail.com) in the future," Google says on its site...

  10. #10
    hawc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in one of the Shires.....
    Posts
    752
    Thank Post
    71
    Thanked 75 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    I just put in for my 5.
    I asked for 5 accounts that were all expletives. I will see if I get any!

  11. #11

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,716
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1124
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    I just put in for my 5.
    I asked for 5 accounts that were all expletives. I will see if I get any!
    Interesting: These 5 that you have requested: Did they exist before [have you asked for them to be recycled] or did you simply take this opportunity to ask for these expletive laden addresses to be created from new?

  12. #12
    hawc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in one of the Shires.....
    Posts
    752
    Thank Post
    71
    Thanked 75 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    I don't know. I just filled in the form and paid.

  13. #13

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,037
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 908 Times in 712 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    270
    In regards to Debit/Credit card information, In theory it will depend on how long the account has been inactive before the card is removed. If I remember correct an active card only lasts around 3 years before you then get a new one so if someone was to leave the card details on an account then it would mean that it wouldn't be able to be used. The website that asks for such information, never gives the full details back to the owner of the account anyway it's always hidden apart from the last 4 digits of the card number & name of the account holder... so even if someone was to recover an account then they would not be able to do much in that sense.

    It's the other information I would be more bothered about such as Address/Contact Number... If you registered your address and phone number... this could still be the same information although again someone can't really do much with it, knowing that some random person will know my address might be someone upsetting for some people?

    Just saying... :-)

    James.

  14. #14
    hawc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in one of the Shires.....
    Posts
    752
    Thank Post
    71
    Thanked 75 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    @EduTech Your point about address is interesting. Imagine that a person had left home to escape their partner and the ex requested their person who had escaped email from yahoo and the escapee had abandoned their email? Then the escapee's partner would know their address and then be able to go 'round. I know someone who was in a similar state and found their information including their phone number on 192.com and the ex had found it. The ex of the escapee went 'round and tried to attack the escapee. Ended up calling the police and the police forcing the website to remove the data. (Sorry I got in to a ramble then!)

  15. #15

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,275
    Thank Post
    614
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Rep Power
    412
    $1.99 talk about money for old rope.

    Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th November 2012, 04:58 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th May 2008, 11:09 AM
  3. Exchange Compatible E-mail Client For Mac
    By FN-GM in forum Office Software
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 9th April 2008, 12:10 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 23rd November 2007, 08:24 AM
  5. MSN, E-mail address
    By FN-GM in forum General Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 20th June 2007, 07:53 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •