+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, USB 3.5 set to arrive in early 2014 with 10Gbps transfer speeds and 10x more power in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts

USB 3.5 set to arrive in early 2014 with 10Gbps transfer speeds and 10x more power

With USB 3.5 being able to supply upto 100 watts of power, it won't be long until we see external 3.5" HDDs without any mains adapters and monitors that can charge laptops.

I would also like to see laptop manufacturers standardize on USB for charging (as they have done for smartphones), although without the EU forcing the matter I don't think we will see this happen.

Sources: Geek.com / Tech Power Up

For the last couple of years USB 3.0 has been left in the shade by the speed offered through the Thunderbolt interface. Whereas USB 3.0 is 5Gbps, Thunderbolt doubles that to 10Gbps, and even quadruples it to 20Gbps over optical cabling.

Even though Thunderbolt has a major speed advantage, it hasnít exactly become commonplace since its introduction in 2011. And now USB is fighting back with the introduction of USB 3.5, which equals Thunderboltís standard 10Gbps transfer speeds.

The new spec is being viewed as a stop gap solution on the way to USB 4.0. Both the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) and Intel are thought to be working on the spec, with Taiwanís ASMedia expected to be the first company to offer a USB 3.5 host controller early next year. That should mean we see motherboards and interface cards supporting the faster standard appearing around the same time.

One of the reasons USB has remained so popular is its backwards compatibility. That will remain the case for USB 3.5, so manufacturers of devices that can take advantage of the faster transfer speeds, e.g. external hard drives, will surely embrace it quickly while retaining USB 3.0 compatibility.

Even if you wonít be making the upgrade to the 3.5 spec, USB 3.0 is also being improved upon. An updated SuperSpeed spec sees the total maximum power output of each cable increased from today's 10 watts up to 100 watts. That basically means you could power most laptops over a single USB 3.0 connection, as well as a whole host of other USB-connected devices.

XiJ

Thank Post
    100w over USB?

I do like the idea of monitors powering laptops though (or small systems). Can we standardise on Apples MagSafe connector - just thinking on how many DC-in jacks I find broken in schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope you mean "the power connector that Apple stole" rather than "Apple's Magsafe"?

Quite looking forward to 3.5 though, always fond of backwards compatibility with USB and would love to be able to see USB chargeable laptops!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I hope you mean "the power connector that Apple stole" rather than "Apple's Magsafe"?
    Sorry, I couldn't let that one go. By "steal" you mean like Henry Ford "stealing" the idea for a mass produced car from the guy who invented the wheel? Because I don't remember seeing anything like MagSafe on any electronic device before Apple introduced it their laptops and I used to work for Sanmina-SCI, one of the largest electronics contract manufacturers in the world at the time.

Any basis for this other than a two pronged magnetic power plug on a Japanese kettle, which is the only use of a magnetic plug of any kind I can even remotely find reference to? On the other hand, that charge and sync connector on the Microsoft Surface looks a lot like a MagSafe connector. I won't hold it against them though, it's a great design for a charger.
    ImageUploadedByEduGeek1371299542.565059.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @seawolf - Apple admitted it, like they often do (Yes, from Sanyo - or was it Seiko, can't remember)

Don't mind me, I love having a dig at people like Apple for very good reason (see one of my blog posts for a reasoned account why)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    (see one of my blog posts for a reasoned account why)
    @synaesthesia

Linky to the blog post ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apple. Love or loathe... - Blogs - EduGeek.net

Don't take it the wrong way of course - there's no denying it's a good charging system! Not faultless, but as someone who spends quite a lot of time soldering bloody power connectors back onto motherboards, appreciated!

** edit, sorry rather deviating from this thread **

Just realised too after skimming that blog post how much the bit about unified hardware should be applying to the "next gen" consoles too!
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 15th June 2013 at 03:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Apple. Love or loathe... - Blogs - EduGeek.net

Don't take it the wrong way of course - there's no denying it's a good charging system! Not faultless, but as someone who spends quite a lot of time soldering bloody power connectors back onto motherboards, appreciated!

** edit, sorry rather deviating from this thread **

Just realised too after skimming that blog post how much the bit about unified hardware should be applying to the "next gen" consoles too!
    Link doesnt appear to be working

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fine here. Just search all my blog posts.

XiJ

Thank Post
    Oh what did I start?! I forgot apple don't invent or innovate anything

Seriously, the MagSafe style connected would make a difference to my schools - I wonder how much apple would charge for a license?!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, if they do the USB thing it'd negate many of the problems. USB leads are replaceable and cheap

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Finally. iPhone 7 or the one after the next S model will be great

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread