+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
IT News Thread, Yahoo unveils the new Flickr with 1TB of free space in Other News; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,007 Posts

Yahoo unveils the new Flickr with 1TB of free space

I'm impressed!

Source: Flickr / Yahoo / Android App (via The Verge)

Your World, in Full Resolution
    Photos tell the stories — stories we’re inspired to relive, share with our friends, or capture simply to express ourselves. Collecting these moments is a part of our everyday. Since 2005, Flickr has become synonymous with inspiring imagery. Today, we’re thrilled to take Flickr even further with a beautiful, completely re-imagined experience that puts photos front and center. When it comes to photography, technology and its limits shouldn't hinder the experience. So we're also giving our Flickr users one terabyte of space — for free. That’s enough for a lifetime of photos — more than 500,000 original, full-resolution, pixel-perfect, brilliant photos. Flickr users will never have to worry about running out of space.

Flickr’s stunning new desktop design puts photos at the heart of the experience. Built around a new photostream that gives you a vivid and endlessly scrolling gallery, it’s easy to see what your friends are posting and what they’re saying about your photos. And because Flickr has always been about exploring photographs from users around the world, we’ve also created a new slideshow that displays the most spectacular Flickr photos in gorgeous full-screen.

With smartphones in our pockets at all times, we’re all photographers on a daily basis. That’s why we’re also excited to launch new version of the Flickr app for Android phones and tablets. Similar to the iPhone app we launched in December, the new Flickr for Android maintains your photos’ original quality, so every image you take, edit, share, or view on your phone or tablet looks spectacular.

Check out the new Flickr starting today, and you can download the Android app in the Google Play store, available in 10 languages worldwide. We hope you’ll agree that we have made huge strides to make Flickr awesome again, and we want to know what you think and how to further improve!
    In short, Flickr's done away with nearly all of the white space on Flickr, across every page you visit. Other new features include iPhoto-style slideshows (complete with music), full-bleed photos with significantly-reduced UI elements, and extensive sharing options — you can push photos out to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Pinterest. It's a massive redesign, and it came together pretty fast — Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer said that the company talked about this project in March and "rallied as a full company" to get the project done in this quarter.

However, the big news is the free space — "we want all of your images," said Cahan. He said it was 70 times bigger than what other sites offer, and said it could store 537,731 photos in "full quality." Yahoo directly mentioned the 15GB of storage space "other" companies offer, and it was a pretty direct shot at Google — a company that has made no secret recently about making photos a key part of its services.

Yahoo also announced a new Android Flickr app, which matches the capabilities of the recently-updated iOS app. "Upload once, send to any device, any screen, any friend, any follower, on any service, and make it absolutely beautiful," said Cahan. Along with this new service, Flickr is revamping its Flickr Pro service. Previously, free Flickr users could only display 200 photos at a time, while paid users had unlimited storage and display capabilities as well as analytical data about your photos. However, Yahoo introduced a few new paid options — for $49.99 a year, all ads on the site will be removed, and you'll get access to the standard set of Flickr analytics. For $499.99, you can double your storage space to 2TB. All in all, it looks like a long overdue and hugely-needed update — but now Flickr has an arsenal of new tools to take on sites like Facebook and Google.

Free-Accounts
    • 1 Terabyte of photo and video storage
    • Upload photos of up to 200MB per photo
    • Upload 1080p HD videos of up to 1GB each
    • Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
    • Upload and download in full original quality

Ad-Free Accounts (older pro-accounts are gone!)
    • £32.78 / $49.99 per year
    • All the benefits of a free account
    • No ads in your browsing experience

Doublr-Plan (extra 1TB space)
    • £327.89 / $499.99 per year
    • 2 Terabytes of photo and video space
    • You get all the benefits of the free account

Last edited by Arthur; 21st May 2013 at 04:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Good to see that Yahoo has finally updated Flickr at last! although some of the pro users might be rather angry that the web version is too similar to the mobile version that was released. I myself however, will be interested to try this new update out and see what it's like compared to the old version.

Thank Post
    Do Yahoo / flickr own the rights to your 1Tb of photos though? It's a deal-breaker for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    Do Yahoo / flickr own the rights to your 1Tb of photos though? It's a deal-breaker for me.
    Not unless they've changed their terms.

This is great for non-paying customers, but a kick in the teeth for paying. There was no limit on space for paying customers before, nor was there a limit on upload size. It's also more expensive now. Glad I opted to cancel my "pro" account, I'll live with the ads or completely move to 500px

Thank Post
    I guess they really don't want people to buy extra space.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I guess they really don't want people to buy extra space.
    That's my guess too! I've paid the pro fee for 2 years just to make sure none of my shots are hidden (previously, only your most recent 200 shots would be visible on a free account). Now they've taken that restriction away and simultaneously added the same space restriction to paid accounts (apart from the ridiculously priced "doublr" account) - cancelling my subscription couldn't have been easier.

Also, this "fresh new look" is what 500px has been for ages, except 500px don't put ads on free accounts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    and simultaneously added the same space restriction to paid accounts (apart from the ridiculously priced "doublr" account)
    You have more than 1TB's of photos?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You have more than 1TB's of photos?
    No not yet, I'm up to about 300GB, I dare say some of my flickr friends will be close to the 1TB mark (although as only JPG's are stored, probably not)

My point was that there was no restriction on pro accounts before, now the only benefit to paying is the stats, which are laughable anyway, and the ads being removed, which aren't that bad anyway (although again, 500px has no ads, why does flickr need them?)

It just seems a strange angle to play, as I know there is a not insignificant percentage of my flickr contacts who are now talking of switching to free accounts as the only thing that kept them paying was the 200 photo limit on free accounts previously. I think Yahoo stand to lose a lot of revenue by doing this.

Thank Post
    I have literally just renewed my pro account. If I switch to free do I get a refund? Their FAQ is not very helpful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I have literally just renewed my pro account. If I switch to free do I get a refund? Their FAQ is not very helpful.
    Yeah, if you hover over your buddy icon (top right) there should be an option to downgrade to free, then they'll refund you.

I actually pulled a fast one - I had cancelled my future subscription already which would have meant I kept "pro" until it ran out but by doing this I'll now get a refund

Thank Post
    Downgraded, I only used it as a backup location and to share with family. Saved me some ££

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent. I approve of this development.

Thank Post
    Doublr-Plan (extra 1TB space) £327.89 / $499.99 per year
    2TB of space for under £30 a month? That's comparable with Amazon Glacier, and with rather better photo-related features. Can you open institutional accounts for schools and similar, does anyone know? I'd check but their website seems to be down right at the moment...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    2TB of space for under £30 a month? That's comparable with Amazon Glacier, and with rather better photo-related features.
    Exactly! I don't know what people are complaining about. The same amount of storage from Google would cost ~£79.09 ($99.99) per month. There also isn't anything stopping you from opening a second Flickr account for free if you need more than 1TB.

Btw, you might be interested in Filr.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    2TB of space for under £30 a month? That's comparable with Amazon Glacier, and with rather better photo-related features. Can you open institutional accounts for schools and similar, does anyone know? I'd check but their website seems to be down right at the moment...
    Exactly! I don't know what people are complaining about. The same amount of storage from Google would cost ~£79.09 ($99.99) per month. There also isn't anything stopping you from opening a second Flickr account for free if you need more than 1TB.

Btw, you might be interested in Filr.
    The difference is, you can only upload JPG's, which makes the whole thing pretty useless as a backup service

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast