+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
IT News Thread, Yahoo unveils the new Flickr with 1TB of free space in Other News; Originally Posted by LosOjos The difference is, you can only upload JPG's, which makes the whole thing pretty useless as ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    The difference is, you can only upload JPG's, which makes the whole thing pretty useless as a backup service
    But it was never meant to be a backup service.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Exactly! I don't know what people are complaining about. The same amount of storage from Google would cost ~£79.09 ($99.99) per month. There also isn't anything stopping you from opening a second Flickr account for free if you need more than 1TB.

Btw, you might be interested in Filr.
    Because the cost jumps significantly if you have > 1TB of photos vs paying the old fee and using whatever you like. It turns a "hey, why don't I pay <£30/yr for pro Flickr access into" "ok, that's more than double my Technet sub".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    But it was never meant to be a backup service.
    I know, that was my point, @Arthur and @dhicks seemed to be suggesting it was a very well priced backup service, my point is, it isn't a backup service! Unless of course you only want to backup JPG versions of your photos, 1080p copies of your movies in 1GB chunks and nothing else!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Because the cost jumps significantly if you have > 1TB of photos vs paying the old fee and using whatever you like. It turns a "hey, why don't I pay <£30/yr for pro Flickr access into" "ok, that's more than double my Technet sub".
    Anyone that has a current Pro subscription can just carry on using that, so no change for current customers unless they want it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    I know, that was my point, @Arthur and @dhicks seemed to be suggesting it was a very well priced backup service
    Where did I say it was a backup service? It obviously isn't.

Thank Post
    The difference is, you can only upload JPG's, which makes the whole thing pretty useless as a backup service
    Drat - many thanks, I didn't realise that. You're right, that's not going to be much good as a general backup / store place for a school's photos. Can you control the quality settings on the JPEG compression used, does anyone know? I wonder if that's how they're offering so much storage space for free - they compress your images in a way which suits them and their storage backend.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    that's not going to be much good as a general backup / store place for a school's photos.
    Which format(s) are your school photos in? Raw?

I wonder if that's how they're offering so much storage space for free
    Flickr are counting on most people never using all of the space. As I am sure you are aware, that's how shared web hosting providers like Dreamhost work too. They know that 80-90% of their customers use such a tiny amount of space they can get away with offering unlimited storage and bandwidth for $8.95 per month.

Can you control the quality settings on the JPEG compression used
    No (you would adjust the quality before you upload the photos).

The new interface and new pricing should make Flickr a lot more competitive. On top of that, Yahoo has promised an advertising campaign to promote the site and win new users. Flickr is now getting the love it has long needed.

For free users this is clearly massive upgrade. In fact, it's an astonishing new pricing model. You have to hate ads an awful lot to pay $50 a year just to remove them. That's twice as much as Pro cost, but without any of the extra features that Pro offered (removal of limits, detailed stats). And if 1TB really isn't enough—it's hard to imagine that Flickr has many users for whom it isn't—the next storage option isn't cheap and unlimited, as it is in Pro.

All in all, it seems that the new Flickr is designed to do one thing in particular: discourage people from buying any of the upgrade options so that they keep viewing ads instead. Subscriptions are no longer the point. Yes, there's a token effort to continue subscriptions, but $500 a year for an extra terabyte is never going to be a big seller.

The new pricing will make it a lot more viable for snap-happy casual users, which must surely be the point, but Facebook has become a dominant monster in this space. Flickr has its advantages—for example, it lets you upload full-size images with no resizing or recompression, and it has a clearer position regarding photo licensing. While these are important to photography enthusiasts, Yahoo's real job will be to make them appeal to the Facebook generation. The new site and pricing are a start, but there's much more work to do if Yahoo wants to make Flickr the photo destination it once was. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 23rd May 2013 at 07:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Where did I say it was a backup service? It obviously isn't.
    I was referring to this exchange:

2TB of space for under £30 a month? That's comparable with Amazon Glacier, and with rather better photo-related features. Can you open institutional accounts for schools and similar, does anyone know? I'd check but their website seems to be down right at the moment...
    Exactly! I don't know what people are complaining about. The same amount of storage from Google would cost ~£79.09 ($99.99) per month. There also isn't anything stopping you from opening a second Flickr account for free if you need more than 1TB.

Btw, you might be interested in Filr.
    Just wanted to clear up any confusion about exactly what can be backed up. Yeah, £30 pm for 2TB space is cheap, but you don't have the freedom to use that space for anything you want like you do with a real cloud storage service

[BTW, I'm not being an arse, genuinely! Emoticons have gotten to the point of being almost sarcastic...]

Thank Post
    I was referring to this exchange
    I think you're getting confused. The storage I was referring to was the new unified offering from Google for photos, documents and e-mail. Once you have used up your 15GB you have to buy more (if your photos are more than 2048 pixels wide) and it's more expensive than Flickr.

Google is clearly leveraging its massive cloud capabilities to try to make Google+ the best home for photos online — and attract users to a social network that's struggled to carve out its own niche in a world of Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Most of the changes are focused on making uploading and sharing photos — a very tedious task — less painful. The company has already introduced photo-friendly features like unlimited uploads for photos under 2048-pixels wide, a fullscreen picture viewer, and 15GB of free space for photos that break that limit, and with all of the additions today it looks like the company has put together a very compelling package. (Source)
    See also: Can fancy photos and lavish linking help Google+ take off?

The storage @dhicks was talking about is just for backing up/archiving files.
    Last edited by Arthur; 23rd May 2013 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    The storage I was referring to was the new unified offering from Google for photos, documents and e-mail. Once you have used up your 15GB you have to buy more (if your photos are more than 2048 pixels wide) and it's more expensive than Flickr.
    Heck, now I'm confused. I'm looking at storage from the point of view of backing up a school's-worth (5TB upwards) of images, video and assorted associated files - as LosOjos points out, the storage that Flickr now offers isn't really going ot be suitible for that. I was hoping I'd be able to use it as a cloud-backed storage repository, where I have a local server sync stuff to a Flickr account for backup purposes, but I'd need to do that with PNG, TXT and assorted other files, not just JPGs. I'm currently investigating Amazon's storage engine - I'm installing Eucalyptus on my own server to see how GBs of file uploads translates into Amazon's I/O operations. Can you buy a single (5TB) wodge of storage from Google, or does it all have to be assigned to a specific user?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12