+ Post New Thread
IT News Thread, Google announces ‘Keep', its Evernote competitor in Other News; I wonder how long it will be before Google decides to retire Keep ? Source : Official Google Blog / ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts

Google announces ‘Keep', its Evernote competitor

I wonder how long it will be before Google decides to retire Keep?

Source: Official Google Blog / Play Store

Every day we all see, hear or think of things we need to remember. Usually we grab a pad of sticky-notes, scribble a reminder and put it on the desk, the fridge or the relevant page of a magazine. Unfortunately, if you’re like me you probably often discover that the desk, fridge or magazine wasn’t such a clever place to leave the note after all...it’s rarely where you need it when you need it.

To solve this problem we've created Google Keep. With Keep you can quickly jot ideas down when you think of them and even include check-lists and photos to keep track of what’s important to you. Your notes are safely stored in Google Drive and synced to all your devices so you can always have them at hand.

If it’s more convenient to speak than to type that’s fine—Keep transcribes voice memos for you automatically. There’s super-fast search to find what you’re looking for and when you’re finished with a note you can archive or delete it.

Changing priorities isn't a problem: just open Keep on your Android phone or tablet (there’s a widget so you can have Keep front and centre all the time) and drag your notes around to reflect what matters. You can choose the color for each note too.

Pro tip: for adding thoughts quickly without unlocking your device there's a lock screen widget (on devices running Android 4.2+).

Google Keep is available on Google Play for devices running Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich and above. You can access, edit and create new notes on the web at http://drive.google.com/keep and in the coming weeks you'll be able to do the same directly from Google Drive.
    With Google Keep you can:

• Keep track of your thoughts via notes, lists and photos
    • Have voice notes transcribed automatically
    • Use homescreen widgets to capture thoughts quickly
    • Color-code your notes to help find them later
    • Swipe to archive things you no longer need
    • Turn a note into a checklist by adding checkboxes
    • Use your notes from anywhere - they are safely stored in the cloud and available on the web at http://drive.google.com/keep

Last edited by Arthur; 20th March 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Thank Post
    just downloaded it, it seems pretty good!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    It's alright for a basic note-taking app, and the cloud sync is a bonus. Calling it an Evernote competitor is a bit of a stretch though. Both Evernote and OneNote allow for more structured organising. I know Google are all about search, but even they added folders to Google Drive once they realised what a pig's ear they'd made of it insisting on a flat file structure where you just search for everything.

I also would have thought Google would allow sharing of notes between accounts, for example to share a to-do list or shopping list between people. Seems like something they should already have the infrastructure for; perhaps it will come later once it better integrates with Drive.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 21st March 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Thank Post
    One note on my Windows Phone, Surface and SkyDrive web app works just fine for me

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well its ok, but it certainly doesn't compare to Evernote and I won't be moving.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the plan now from Google is just to copy everyone elses services, become the best/most used then retire them out from under everyone. Perhaps they are trying to teach people a lesson about the cloud.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread