+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, Essa Academy: Bookless school where everyone has iPad in Other News; For me, coming from a school that finds it a daily struggle to keep the IT running due to very ...

Thank Post
    For me, coming from a school that finds it a daily struggle to keep the IT running due to very low budgets, I find this a complete waste of money and a bitter pill to swallow. Not sure where they would find the money to fund it all as well! They also say that they have gone from 80k to 15k on photocopying, but our photo copying and printers combined only comes to 8k!
    Last edited by techie08; 8th January 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    In theory i like the idea, but i'd say approach with caution.
    We had enough wifi issues before BYOD was trialled, and Y6 just started bring your own tablet. Mostly it went the ipad direction. Staff initially wanted android but soon gave those back and swapped for ipads. Just getting them on the wifi is a big enough challenge, and we don't even have access to an education store here, so restricting ourselves to free apps at the moment.
    With the new iPad mini coming in at around £200-300 it's not bad, and the size may make it less likely to be dropped by teh young uns

I just fear that we're going down the same route as we did with Interactive Whiteboards not so long ago. First we got one to try out then maybe a department and soon every classroom had to have one. There were still staff who couldn't use a mouse, but all rooms had interactive whiteboards.
    I'm sure you've still got staff who think the projector IS the whiteboard. How many are actually using them interactively ..?

I can see tablets as the next step for sure, especially for differentiation, but it's only going to work where there is already a base of interactive teaching going on. It's very rare you see the whiteboard being used as anything more than a glorified screen.
    I don't mean to generalise, but if people jump on the bandwagon too quick, without planning i just see it as a waste of money.
    Do the staff actually want to use the technology? I've met a teacher who denies there are any useful educational maths apps out there.
    The cost saving aspect should be an indirect benefit of the greater good being done, not necessarily a focus.

SPM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    BBC News - Essa Academy: Bookless school where everyone has iPad

Apparently they have reduced the printing costs dramatically, i wonder how much they ended up spending on the iPads, and if they factored in that they would need replacing often, maybe completely in a couple of years when all the apps only work on newer models.

We have been trialing a few here, and they have been a nightmare to support.
    iPads are personal devices and aren't really built for centralised management. Getting apps correctly installed and wiping and reinstalling apps with each new year is tedious on an iPad. I think Chromebooks are a much better choice for schools. They are eminently shareable and easily centrally managed. With Chromebooks you could have less than 1:1 deployment if you likes with students sharing Chromebooks, and/or a Chromebook trolley to collect Chromebooks so kids don't take them home if this helps reduce breakage or loss, and pupils could still work at home using a Chrome browser on their home PC if they wished unlike iPads because Chromebooks save all user data, and settings in the cloud, and the apps are in the cloud.

Thank Post
    does anyone know what ESSA are doing about controlling what apps students can and can't use, we are having a nightmare here, even down to things like puffin browser. which uses cloud based servers to handle the traffic and therefore bypass our content filtering. We can't block SSL traffic on ipads either because we have to let them go out transparently. The reason for this is that if you have to have the ipads going out with proxy settings in, those proxy settings only get passed on to an app if a developer has built proxy support into their app.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    I'm just trying to imagine little johnny has done a nice drawing / painting on his shiny ipad but they can't print it off, so he can't show off his creation to his mum and stick it on the fridge......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Course they can print it - can use wireless printing easily enough, and manage via papercut.

Thank Post
    I must admit I was a little sceptical about it all, however I've actually been to this school and I think it's fantastic. Everyone with a "can do" attitude and it's quite amazing how they're all drawing on walls (all walls are basically whiteboards) and have apple tv's hooked up all over the place to beam lessons from a teachers ipad.

The place was practically paperless.

Oh the best thing though is that they also use one of our fabulous 1GIG Internet connections, much faster than the old LA

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    BBC News - Essa Academy: Bookless school where everyone has iPad

Apparently they have reduced the printing costs dramatically, i wonder how much they ended up spending on the iPads, and if they factored in that they would need replacing often, maybe completely in a couple of years when all the apps only work on newer models.

We have been trialing a few here, and they have been a nightmare to support.

Thank Post
    Hi,I am a student who attends Essa Academy and would like to start by saying that the whole thing is a show.

When visitors such as the BBC, heads of other school, etc. come to our school and take a look at out lessons, students as well as staff must put on a show and demonstrate the use of iPads and technology. Teachers have been given a telling off after the visitors have gone if the IT was not demonstrated during lessons and also, a the SLT have said to the staff: "The students are not important. The visitors have more importance than the kids."

The 3D Theatre rarely get's used. In fact, the only time most students have ever been in there is when we first moved into the new build and a demo of the 3D Theatre was shown.

Books are not used as much as before but still are used very often.

iPad's can be helpful at times but they act as distraction's as many of us students play games/message on the iPads during lesson. The iPads have Mobile Device Management software installed on them (via Profiles) which allows staff to view all the information they need from our iPads. iPads do get confiscated but only when a teacher physically sees someone doing something which they're not supposed to be doing.

The iPads rarely get damaged as the school has provided us with a case and a bag.

The reason why results have slightly improved is not because of the iPads, but because of strict discipline which causes a change in our attitudes and things like compulsory after-school revision sessions.I'll be happy to reply to any questions or comments!
    Last edited by Python; 31st January 2013 at 01:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Just about says it all really. Thanks for the posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Python View Post
    Hi,I am a student who attends Essa Academy and would like to start by saying that the whole thing is a show.

When visitors such as the BBC, heads of other school, etc. come to our school and take a look at out lessons, students as well as staff must put on a show and demonstrate the use of iPads and technology. Teachers have been given a telling off after the visitors have gone if the IT was not demonstrated during lessons and also, a the SLT have said to the staff: "The students are not important. The visitors have more importance than the kids."

The 3D Theatre rarely get's used. In fact, the only time most students have ever been in there is when we first moved into the new build and a demo of the 3D Theatre was shown.

iPad's can be helpful at times but they act as distraction's as many of us students play games/message on the iPads during lesson. The iPads have Mobile Device Management software installed on them (via Profiles) which allows staff to view all the information they need from our iPads. iPads do get confiscated but only when a teacher physically sees someone doing something which they're not supposed to be doing.

The iPads rarely get damaged as the school has provided us with a case and a bag.

The reason why results have slightly improved is not because of the iPads, but because of strict discipline which causes a change in our attitudes and things like compulsory after-school revision sessions.I'll be happy to reply to any questions or comments!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds more like a disgruntled tech than a student to me...especially with the passion in the post.

Thank Post
    I can believe that a lot of it is for show though, it seemed obviously staged when it featured on the BBC, I would wager that its "Top Students" only to face the cameras

Does seem to be an interesting idea though, possibly a trailblazer in terms of schools for their area, though costs must have been pretty eye-watering.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks, thats actually quite good feedback.

Thank Post
    Would love to see how they've integrated the iPads into administration roles. Using Avaya phone system?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Sounds more like a disgruntled tech than a student to me...especially with the passion in the post.
    Has a lot of truth though, bit too much to be a disgruntled tech.

Sounds like some one who wants to put the truth out there without getting sacked, reminds me of the person who was involved with the whole BSF thing. Got the sack because he told us the truth.

Thank Post

How come your profile location says Germany?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast