+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
IT News Thread, Apple Apology Posted In Samsung Vs Apple Case in Other News; Just wait until someone does the whole anti-trust thing on them as happened to MS. MS got screwed because no ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just wait until someone does the whole anti-trust thing on them as happened to MS. MS got screwed because no other browser was included on their software by default, as a result they were fined massively, and set things straight (as did linux distro's by bundling loads of them in). Apple have breached so many anti trust regulations is bordering on ridiculous...Micro-USB as charging dock, safari is the only browser available by default, most parts in Apple products such as RAM in MACs, or batteries in iPhones are soldered or set into place, making it difficult to swap out parts, thereby making it difficult to use other hardware for mac's (something MS was initially lambasted about by AMD back in the day and was told by EU courts they have to make it so they could all work properly). Let Apple fall I say, this is just a step towards the nails in the coffin!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Just wait until someone does the whole anti-trust thing on them as happened to MS. MS got screwed because no other browser was included on their software by default, as a result they were fined massively, and set things straight (as did linux distro's by bundling loads of them in). Apple have breached so many anti trust regulations is bordering on ridiculous...Micro-USB as charging dock, safari is the only browser available by default, most parts in Apple products such as RAM in MACs, or batteries in iPhones are soldered or set into place, making it difficult to swap out parts, thereby making it difficult to use other hardware for mac's (something MS was initially lambasted about by AMD back in the day and was told by EU courts they have to make it so they could all work properly). Let Apple fall I say, this is just a step towards the nails in the coffin!
    I've been wondering about the anti-trust situation with Apple for a while now - how do they get away with it? The samsung product uses the Android operating system, but in and of itself, the OS is a separate product by a separate company (and it's open source) so it can hardly be argued as anti-trust there, yet the Apple products only run on their proprietary OS and getting them to do differently is complicated (mostly because of driver issues). It is probably not unreasonable to expect that a user of an Apple product buys the whole package - hardware and OS coming as one as that is how the solution is marketed - but even so they should offer other software options!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've a theory. Perhaps the best 12 year old employees at Foxconn get promoted to the legal and marketing departments at Apple by the time they're 13.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I've a theory. Perhaps the best 12 year old employees at Foxconn get promoted to the legal and marketing departments at Apple by the time they're 13.
    Whereupon they manage to get jobs in public relations for their 7yo siblings...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I've been wondering about the anti-trust situation with Apple for a while now - how do they get away with it? The samsung product uses the Android operating system, but in and of itself, the OS is a separate product by a separate company (and it's open source) so it can hardly be argued as anti-trust there, yet the Apple products only run on their proprietary OS and getting them to do differently is complicated (mostly because of driver issues). It is probably not unreasonable to expect that a user of an Apple product buys the whole package - hardware and OS coming as one as that is how the solution is marketed - but even so they should offer other software options!
    Apple don't have a monopoly in any markets.

Smartphones? Nope. Google has a larger share if you go by OS. Even RIM has a larger share.
    Tablets? Nope. Apple have a majority, but it couldn't be seen as a monopoly - it was about 60% in March, with the rest being pretty much Android.
    Music sales? Apple have about 29% of music sales, and 60% of online music sales. So still not a monopoly.

So, how would they be taking advantage of a monopoly to force their way into another market - which is what anti-trust is all about.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been wondering about the anti-trust situation with Apple for a while now
    It's because they are technically a cult/religion so they get all sorts of breaks over and above that of a normal company, especially in the US

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    News sites are basically things that have been on Twitter already.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is that even an apology?! it just posts up the ruling!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Is that even an apology?! it just posts up the ruling!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Samsung / Apple UK judgment

On 9 July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited’s Galaxy Tablet Computers, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple’s Community registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of
    the High Court is available from Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWHC 1882 (Pat) (09 July 2012).

That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal of England and Wales on 18 October 2012. A copy of the Court of Appeal’s judgment is available from Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWCA Civ 1339 (18 October 2012). There is no injunction in respect of the Community registered design in force anywhere in Europe.
    It's not. Apple are petulent children. This saga is doing nothing for their reputation. It would be less painful for them to put up something that says 'We acknowledge the decision of the UK courts in the following ruling: Blah blah blah, and accept that in this instance copyright infringement has not occurred.' - that would be more of an apology than anything they have posted thus far, and would comply with the ruling and there would be none of this negative publicity surrounding their childishness!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are rather courting* the Streisand Effect here, if they don't just get on with it soon it'll backfire horribly.

*pun not intended, but I'll gladly leave it in

Thank Post
    So what do you think is going to happen next?

Im going to make a stab at a possible future headline...

"Judge orders Samsung to design Apple Uk's Website"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    So what do you think is going to happen next?

Im going to make a stab at a possible future headline...

"Judge orders Samsung to design Apple Uk's Website"
    Well, I'm not convinced they aren't being sly about it as usually when I visit 'Apple.com' it auto-redirects me to Apple.co.uk based on my IP location but this morning it didn't - I was left on Apple.com and had to manually change to the UK site to see the announcement. It might be a caching issue but I can't help but feel they might have jimmied with the auto-redirect so that UK customers aren't automatically sent to the UK page... Then again this might be my tin-foil-hat brain seeing conspiracy theories everywhere...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm not convinced they aren't being sly about it as usually when I visit 'Apple.com' it auto-redirects me to Apple.co.uk based on my IP location but this morning it didn't - I was left on Apple.com and had to manually change to the UK site to see the announcement. It might be a caching issue but I can't help but feel they might have jimmied with the auto-redirect so that UK customers aren't automatically sent to the UK page... Then again this might be my tin-foil-hat brain seeing conspiracy theories everywhere...
    Happening for me too, now you mention it. Sneaky buggers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast