+ Post New Thread
New Project Ideas Thread, Network Damage Reporting Tool in EduGeek Projects; I have been working on a project that when a student logs onto a computer they are presented with a ...

Thank Post

Network Damage Reporting Tool

I have been working on a project that when a student logs onto a computer they are presented with a form asking for information on the condition of the computer.

After the form is filled the information is picked up by a second application that compares that information to previous information reported, if there is a change or information that is deemed inappropriate is detected an e-mail is sent.

The stored information can also be condensed in to a single report that can be printed, emailed or copied to another application we have been using this very effectively to track damage back to the culprit and to prioritise repairs.

Network Damage Reporting Tool-lcf.jpgNetwork Damage Reporting Tool-lcfmonitor.jpg

Here are some screenshots of the student front end and the back end monitoring application, I would appreciate some feedback on the idea and possibly some new feature ideas.

In the future I will post the project if I can come up with a way to install and configure the system.

Thank Post
    While your intention is good....

If I'm a student I'm just going to button mash through it as fast as I can in order to get logged on.*
    If the keyboard / mouse is damaged and there's a spare machine, I'm not going to use the damaged one so you won't get a report that it's damaged.
    If the teacher has to wait for a class of kids to fill in the form every lesson, they're going to whine too.

*"But they'll be in trouble!" I hear you say. Maybe....

Parent: So why did you get a detention?
    Child: Because every time I log onto a computer, I have to fill in form about whether the computer is broken or not. We've been in computer rooms for 5 lessons and I'm fed up filling forms in rather than doing my work. So I just button-mashed past the stupid form."
    Parent: That seems a reasonable response, why are they asking the students to do it?

3. Thanks to pete from:

jwalkerHAC (4th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    While your intention is good....

If I'm a student I'm just going to button mash through it as fast as I can in order to get logged on.*
    If the keyboard / mouse is damaged and there's a spare machine, I'm not going to use the damaged one so you won't get a report that it's damaged.
    If the teacher has to wait for a class of kids to fill in the form every lesson, they're going to whine too.

Parent: So why did you get a detention?
    Child: Because every time I log onto a computer, I have to fill in form about whether the computer is broken or not. We've been in computer rooms for 5 lessons and I'm fed up filling forms in rather than doing my work. So I just button-mashed past the stupid form."
    Parent: That seems a reasonable response, why are they asking the students to do it?
    I agree with you there. I think it could work, but I'd personally simplify the form down to a couple of check boxes and nothing more.

5. Thanks to TheMan100 from:

Thank Post
    "My computer works <<Y/N>>, I hereby understand if the next user says no i'm in doo doo up to my ears <<OK>>."

Job done.

7. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another problem ... you could fill the form in using just the keyboard so might not know the mouse if broken. You just *know* that someone will say they filled it in but didn't *need* to check the mouse so didn't.

It might be an idea that the suer logs in and is then presented with the option of completing the form as this is a way of them being helpful ... and reward the helpful folk.

Instead of selling it as a negative (things get broken and we want to know who did it) turn it into a positive (To help us and to help fellow students we are looking to see what needs improving and fixing).

Just some ideas on it ... but good start though.

9. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

jwalkerHAC (4th May 2012), Sylv3r (5th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thank you for your comments and I am going to try to answer some of the points.

This has been an issue with a small number of students and certain elements built into the form to try to guide them to answer sensibly but the vast majority do seem to answer sensibly anyway.

In general we have found that if a student realises they are logging onto a faulty computer they do tend to fill the form in then move to another, but even a lack of reports can be helpful because if we have not received a report from a certain computer for awhile it then begs the question why are the students not using it?

Surprisingly we have not had any complaints from staff and many are quite supportive.

I agree detentions in this case would not work and would be counter-productive so our policy is to give the students a certain amount of leniency but if the comments become abusive or excessively silly then there access to the computers are removed for a time depending on the misuse, this shows the student that use of the computers as a privilege not a god given rite.

I'd personally simplify the form down to a couple of check boxes and nothing more.
    How complex to make the form was a heavily discussed topic during the design phase of the project and it was a very hard to decide where to draw the line. I realise that not everyone is going to agree with this but just check boxes do not give enough information to allow us to solve the problem efficiently.

Another problem ... you could fill the form in using just the keyboard so might not know the mouse if broken. You just *know* that someone will say they filled it in but didn't *need* to check the mouse so didn't.
    I cannot say I have seen this happen but it is a good point I will need to have a think about it.

It might be an idea that the suer logs in and is then presented with the option of completing the form as this is a way of them being helpful ... and reward the helpful folk.
    In my experience if something like this is optional not even the good students will do it but if its compulsory the good one will fill out the form honestly and sensibly and you just need to accept that there will be some misuse. But I will look into adding an option for places that may wish it to be optional.

Again thank you all for your comments so far they have been very helpful and given me some ideas for improvements so please keep them coming the positives and the negatives.

Thank Post
    Bringing up an old thread I know, but did you manage to release this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread