+ Post New Thread
New Project Ideas Thread, Mini Asset Managment in EduGeek Projects; Hi there, I work in a large college, with a fairly large IT Support Dept. 10 Techs and 3 Admins. ...

Thank Post

Mini Asset Managment

Hi there,

I work in a large college, with a fairly large IT Support Dept. 10 Techs and 3 Admins. We run an inventory system that stores details of where the hardware is located, and who it is allocated to. SMT have now asked us to keep a record of what equipment comes in and goes out of the office. We have a scanner on our service desk, and can scan serial numbers on the hardware.

Im just wondering if anybody has come across anything open source, or whether it would be a system that could be developed?

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Spiceworks does all that for you i think

Thank Post
    Im not sure that that does exactly what we want? I have installed Spice works, and looked at the asset management side of things. I think that what we are looking for is something simple, so we can scan the bar code in and it records it as being in a certain room. Then when we scan it out, it takes it out the list?!

Thank Post
    i know people on here regularly recommend spiceworks and GLPI i think....but if your anything like me and you don't want the extraneous 'asset discovery' and other elements of such packages, there seems to be very little out that does purely fixed asset mgmt with an elegant interface [preferably web based] and the ability to modify elements to suit your environment.

You might be best served brewing your own if your handy with HTML/CSS for the UI and PHP/MySQL for the backend. one or two posters have produced really excellent looking webapps, not sure there's an asset db app which stands out amongst the stuff i know about...

Thank Post
    try 10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer. It allows to maintain the inventory database of network computers. You can track configuration changes and get notifications if some hardware have been missed (stolen or something else). I guess it is what you exactly need. Anyway to my mind it has 30-day trial versions. Enaught to try and decide

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread