+ Post New Thread
New Project Ideas Thread, Active Directory - Simple FrontEnd in EduGeek Projects; Hmm during my period of doing my nvq appretiship I assume that the school's local authority created some bespoke using ...
    Thank Post

Active Directory - Simple FrontEnd

Hmm during my period of doing my nvq appretiship I assume that the school's local authority created some bespoke using VB6, (I assume it VB6 since I notice VB6 Form Icon in the courner).

Features It could do,

Add User - Also setted up the folder for the user.

Delete User

Disable User

Add notes/comments

(same applies for computer)

Move the componets between Organisation Units

View by organisational units or groups

Hmm cant rember else I see what else it prob come to me lol.

(see what other users thinks might be intrested if this can be web based too)

Thought we could create our own but make open source like.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Ive done a lot of vb 6 myself so am more familiar with that then vb 2008 so unless there is something on WiseSoft - Resources for IT Professionals or elsewhere that can already do this then if everyone agreed to use vb 6 or vb.net 2008 or something along those lines then I would be willing to help out some what as I would like to learn more about the .net side

Just sort of doubting it will be vb 6 as thats quite old now in comparison to the .net coding

Thank Post
    AD *is* the simple front end.

Thank Post
    Just had another thought - you could make an mmc snap in to do this and make it simpler for certain OU's etc

Get IT Done: Create a custom MMC to remotely troubleshoot XP systems

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Still would be nice to do it as a personal project to get some coding experience in vb 6 or vb .net

Just my $0.02

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    lol well it sort of is, but it can be vastly implemted with features such as search, looks much simpler for beginners, I understand some concept of the active directry from this but i assume the only way is background command lines are used. but if we have it we can personalise it such plus im sure we can do much more.

But what do people think of it good or bad idea, plus with this be easier to manage it wont be as clutted, we could do simple design 1st before making it look fancy. plus if schools got a prefix like XXX-00001, and other stuff like the deployin of apps and settings, but variaotion to operating systems and classrooms, but of course this has to be stored on the main server because it v.rare a sever fails or portable but requries the School's Admin username and password to be used for serity, workstations are more prone due to kids access lol so it wont be wise. and well a back-up feature too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisredfield93 View Post
    lol well it sort of is, but it can be vastly implemted with features such as search, looks much simpler for beginners, I understand some concept of the active directry from this but i assume the only way is background command lines are used. but if we have it we can personalise it such plus im sure we can do much more.

But what do people think of it good or bad idea, plus with this be easier to manage it wont be as clutted, we could do simple design 1st before making it look fancy. plus if schools got a prefix like XXX-00001, and other stuff like the deployin of apps and settings, but variaotion to operating systems and classrooms, but of course this has to be stored on the main server because it v.rare a sever fails or portable but requries the School's Admin username and password to be used for serity, workstations are more prone due to kids access lol so it wont be wise. and well a back-up feature too.
    hence my suggestion of the mmc snap in and you can only allow or assign to relevant users and deny other users who try to use it because you would have to delegate rights to the users who are allowed to use it as far as I am aware or know ( correct me if I am wrong ? )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    hence my suggestion of the mmc snap in and you can only allow or assign to relevant users and deny other users who try to use it because you would have to delegate rights to the users who are allowed to use it as far as I am aware or know ( correct me if I am wrong ? )
    Web based access over https would be good though (a la RM Management Stuff)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    Web based access over https would be good though (a la RM Management Stuff)
    easily done using php and ldap requests i believe.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread