+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
New Project Ideas Thread, Edugeek Linux...again in EduGeek Projects; What is the EULA for WinPE?...

Thank Post
    What is the EULA for WinPE?

Thank Post
    Bartpe - You wouldnt distribute it as an iso just a script to run to build the iso as required.

Automating the building of a BartPE bootable disk (updated for pebuilder 3.1.3) | smithii.com - similar to

Enabling techs then to create the ultimate bootable environment saving time etc

BartPE t&c below

In order to make a BartPE installation, your must have a properly licensed copy of the operating system. BartPE does not grant users who do not have a proper Windows XP/2003 license the right to use a BartPE installation.

Also, according to the Microsoft EULA for Windows XP/2003, a user may not simultaneously use more installations of these operating systems than the user has license(s) for. This also goes for BartPE. In practice this means that the user may not use, for instance, a single license installation on one computer while simultaneously using a BartPE installation (created using that license) on another computer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Lovely? Strange descriptor there mate
    We shipped a bunch of machines to Africa with Edubuntu on them and it was a pleasant enough experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been having a think about this and the question of whether to do this or not comes down to what we want to achieve.

I agree that creating a distribution from scratch is probably infeasible for the reasons stated above. Also hand modifying a distro is probably not a sustainable project either.

However, using instalinux.com you can respin a distro (from a selection) with your own packages and settings. I could see that an Edugeek linux for administrators could be possible using this method. I would quite like a ready made version of linux that provided all the tools I use on a regular basis. Slap a Edugeek theme in and it could be a good project.

In addition, Fedora provides 'revisor' to respin Fedora and Debian has live-magic which is similar in nature.

With this approach though, there is still the problem of agreeing on what distro we respin and what packages to include.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

6. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

sparkeh (19th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Thanks, another option
    Really liking Suse 11.1 btw

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Thanks, another option
    Really liking Suse 11.1 btw
    Amen to that! rocks my world...lol

Thank Post
    Someone must really give me a wave when posts like this come up I only found it looking for something else

Right, couple of thing Karoshi is server side, though it does have profiles etc for both Linux and Windows clients that join it.
    I don't think I got your email nephilim But it might have gone to Paul?! or got
    Karoshi supports iTalc, got it here and the staff love it, not sure if its coded into the frontend yet, will have to ask Paul.
    I do have a Linux client which I have worked v v hard on, I can post it to anyone who would like a play but I can't put it on the internet a) because its 4gb and b) cause it wouldn't be legal in certain countries. Lots of things like flash, wmv, mp3 support etc etc. Though the lock down etc come from the profile server side, so it might not be what you want, as it assume (unless standalone) that you will be joining a karoshi domain.

Hmmmm,

I think thats it.

Oh! Also I am trying to do documentation...honest, but its not on my radar at the moment, got lots more to do.
    Also yes please please please please help us, with suggestions, ideas, coding, translations, testing, documentation anything that will help us improve the system.

Thanks,

Jo

ps. Forgot to say we didn't put much description on the page because we thought people would prefer to play with the demo instead.
    Last edited by linuxgirlie; 23rd February 2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Thank Post
    Ok, you got me all thinking. What do people think of this style of documentation:

http://linuxgfx.co.uk/moodle/mod/res...iew.php?id=209

You might want to PM me instead, don't want to high jack the thread!!

Thanks,

Jo

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123