+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
New Project Ideas Thread, Edugeek Linux...again in EduGeek Projects; If Karoshi does exactly what the members here are asking for then great. If it does not then why contribute ...
    Thank Post
    If Karoshi does exactly what the members here are asking for then great. If it does not then why contribute unless you are interested in that? Someone earlier mentioned it was a server and not a client. I found out very little from the Karoshi site when i went there a week or so ago. Very little documentation and just an iso which basically says here you go!!!

What happens after i install it?

Is Karoshi an Edugeek project? I could not see it on the forums and don't recall seeing it on the projects page. If it is not Edugeek related why not just sign up to Edubuntu or something else instead?

Why are the Karoshi developers not here asking for more help? Forgive me if they are but i have not seen them. Didn't even know they were related to Edugeek until Grumbledook mentioned someone. Perhaps they have a vision for Karoshi that does not involve what has been suggested here? Don't want others telling them what they want included etc?

Perhaps get them on the forum to explain that they want help and what we are discussing is exactly what they are doing would be a start

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Linuxgirlie aka Jo is on here every so often but like people have said doing your own linux dis is hard job. So with that and her full time job means she trouble getting onto forums like this.

I do like idea of the add on pack as half way house as my honest feel you would be biting off more than you can chew with a full dist.

Russ

Thank Post
    I don't think people (a general consensus) understand the effort and skills required in even modifying an existing distribution. Who handles quality ensuring we're not committing poor code/ideas, who has the overall steer of the potential project etc and who has the funding to back such a venture? We could look at outside support from OSULabs, SF or so but it's an awful lot of effort before we even start.

I see much more potential for taking stock of what we want an existing something to do and then going with it; there's plenty of scope for addons whether we look at OpenSuse or Debian or any other as powdarmonkey said. I'd say Debian personally as I know people don't like waiting for Gentoo to compile stuff mind you, the idea of a 600 machine distcc set up makes me smile.

So, refocus time; what does this "EduLinux (Desktop)" product have to do that something else cannot?

It would be wise to make use of existing support chains (ie, don't hack just patch) for escalation beyond our own skills but anything one can install via aptitude/yast2 and configure we could use with our own repository.

I don't see a shortage of ideas; but a shortage of the relevant skills and time I fear like many other small projects will be our disadvantage.

Thank Post
    I've got to agree with the majority of posts here (even though I was one of the people pushing it in the earlier threads). It just doesn't seem feasible.

As others have already said, I think it would be a much better idea to create 'EduGeek' add-ons that can sit on top of current distro's.

Thank Post
    I think we would be much better giving our support to one of the education based distros. As already said there is Karoshi, but what about Edubuntu?
    I'm sure they would really appreciate the help of such a community.

6. Thanks to teejay from:

CyberNerd (19th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Edubuntu is lovely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Edubuntu is lovely.
    Lovely? Strange descriptor there mate

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I've got to agree with the majority of posts here (even though I was one of the people pushing it in the earlier threads). It just doesn't seem feasible.
    Hey, if more people changed their minds instead of arguing about why they shouldn't, the world would be better

What is it that you don't like about EduBuntu?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    What is it that you don't like about EduBuntu?
    Nothing - I think *buntu is brilliant. It's the only distro I use. I just thought it was a strange choice of words by kmount, that's all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of Edubuntu, for the fact that it doesnt recognise my network set up. OpenSUSE does. However looking at the posts people have made, an add on pack that covers what we want would be more beneficial and we could all have a say and a vote on what went in. Would be a good idea IMO.

Thank Post
    A possible alternate!!!

How about creating an EduGeek version of BartPE, with specific EduGeek type/targeted tools....

Italc
    AV
    Disk tools
    Error Checking tools

Etc etc etc

I feel this would be more usefull as a whole to the community then yet another flavour of linux.

Thoughts???

13. Thanks to damienharrison from:

Gatt (19th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by damienharrison View Post
    A possible alternate!!!

How about creating an EduGeek version of BartPE, with specific EduGeek type/targeted tools....

Italc
    AV
    Disk tools
    Error Checking tools

Etc etc etc

I feel this would be more usefull as a whole to the community then yet another flavour of linux.

Thoughts???
    I was thinking about this recently - a suggestion to add to the list would definately have to be Putty..

Might be time to have a serious play with WinPE 2.0 ...

Thank Post
    All ready helping a "distro"

Tho I think they would be insulted if I said it was linux, It's BSD!! OpenBSD

Secure, simple, light. Fine not for everyone, but if you setup a server with Openbsd (like a firewall) it just runs. Fine, not a desktop os you would want to give to kids tho.

Donations to OpenBSD - Matt Smith

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I was thinking about this recently
    Me too, I recently create a Ubuntu USB rescue stick with lots of handy tools included, looked interesting but didnt have the time to take it forward.

Could be a good idea.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    BartPE licensing is questionable, you can't redistribute a bartCD lbecause the locensing is more restrictive than linux.

edugeekers can't decide which O/S, let alone which distro.

IMO distro's always want more volunteers. If you have the time then help them, and make them better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast