+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
New Project Ideas Thread, PILOT in EduGeek Projects; Originally Posted by ComputingData I've almost written the 'tokenizer' for the interpreter now. I have a bad feeling about this. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputingData View Post
    I've almost written the 'tokenizer' for the interpreter now.
    I have a bad feeling about this. Are you writing the tokenizer using regular expressions or a compiler compiler (YACC, or whatever)?

PILOT lasted over 30 years until higher level languages (imho more difficult for non-programmers to use) became popular.
    I think you're underestimating your market's technical capability. There must be a few dozen teachers who'll actually know what you're going on about. Teachers can handle GUI wizard-based stuff, but I doubt there'll be much interest in an imperative programming based paradigm.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    PILOT is a 'column' based language - it's extremely simple to write an interpreter for it. The semi-tokenizer took about 30 minutes to write, including mundane setup code. I've put an auto translator in the code to parse the various PILOT dialects and 'fix' them to my token format (including BYTE magazines infamous 256 byte SEMI-PILOT interpreter 'WADUZITDO' - btw I'm also calling the system Waduzitdo? [with the question mark!])

It takes no expertise to write a PILOT program. Anyone can do it, look up some examples on the net.

Thank Post
    I think that instead of asking us, you really need to talk to some teachers.

To make a sweeping (if possibly accurate) generalisation: Teachers aren't willing to write code. It needs a full drag and drop gui that can be mastered in no more than 5 minutes or else you may never see it used.

I could be wrong, but after 5 years observing them I can say that all staff members have a much shorter attention span when it comes to learning computer applications than they used to.

Thank Post
    I was planning to add some kind of 'wizard', template or drag/drop system (for beginners) eventually - but I wanted to get the 'code' side of the system right first - this is the core of the system.

I have spoken to a couple of teachers, they liked the idea of instead of trying to get new programs bought from the budget, they could simply (and easily) create similar programs themselves. The system would have to be easy to use and be masterable in a couple of minutes though - your right.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12