+ Post New Thread
New Project Ideas Thread, using Games consoles in the classroom in EduGeek Projects; is anyone using games consoles in there lessons? there are a few articles on the net exploring the ideas around ...

Thank Post

using Games consoles in the classroom

is anyone using games consoles in there lessons?

there are a few articles on the net exploring the ideas around using Nintendo ds and PSP, we were looking at the PSP with its cam for multimedia ideas.

any info about applications, suppliers and costs involved would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Our maths department I believe considered Nintendo DS's with Dr Kawashima's Brain Training at one point I think the cost aspect turned them away a bit..

As a department here, we have an Xbox and a PS2... but they're only used for fun since we have no educational games for them :P

I could see a use for a Wii in PE lessons when used alongside the WiiFit board...

Thank Post
    We have a couple of Nintendo DS's which are used in our inclusion centre with our EAL students and as a tool in use with our bottom set maths classes. We have the brain training titles.

I wouldn't necessarily say its a been a success or failure and it won't have any impact on our exam results, but the students seem to enjoy using them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireTechie View Post
    is anyone using games consoles in there lessons?
    We have a bunch of Nintendo Wiis ready to be installed, but we're rather backed up on work at the moment so they won't be being used for a little while as yet. The ICT teacher has just bought a Wii Fit board to use with the Wii in his classroom. The art teacher with a Wii in her room had "De Blob" and something else recommended to her by some pupils as good software / games for an art lesson. Also, Forever Blue looks interesting for biology - the biology teacher is a keen diver, so a game that basically involves diving and looking at different fish sounds good.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    We have a bunch of Nintendo Wiis ready to be installed, but we're rather backed up on work at the moment so they won't be being used for a little while as yet. The ICT teacher has just bought a Wii Fit board to use with the Wii in his classroom. The art teacher with a Wii in her room had "De Blob" and something else recommended to her by some pupils as good software / games for an art lesson. Also, Forever Blue looks interesting for biology - the biology teacher is a keen diver, so a game that basically involves diving and looking at different fish sounds good.

--
    David Hicks
    I also like the look of Wii Music for Music.

http://www.wiimusic.com

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    It's pants unfortunately... a real disappointment. Guitar Hero all the way...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post

what, semi rhythmic flailing to a dodgy midi track.

Even not taking into account the shocking movement detection that doesn't sound good.

And who decided the acordian was a good idea....?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post

I fail to see how waving your arm about to the beat has any educational value whatsoever.
    Dont get me wrong. I wish our school had taken music more seriously and got us into it, but playing silly computer games is not the answer.

Piano hero game here except you actually play the piano rather than randomly mash buttons on a plastic guitar - Synthesia, Piano for Everyone
    Ive used it and it seems good actually, but im no where near a good enough pianist to play along to anything worth playing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Even not taking into account the shocking movement detection that doesn't sound good.
    I thought Wii Music was supposed to be the exemplar game for the new Wii controller, the one with the better motion detection? I've got to admit, it sounds like a good idea when you first hear about it and see the glossy video adverts ("Woa! 100 instruments in one! Anyone can make music!"), but then you realise that many schools (ours, defiantly) have whole orchestras and the children have the opportunity to play real instruments on a regular basis, so you kind of get to thinking your music department's ICT budget could probably be better spent on recording equipment of some kind, or some editing software, or similar.

And who decided the accordion was a good idea....?
    Nothing wrong with accordion music! Well, okay, I mean there's some stuff wrong with accordion music, but hey, you grow to like it. Or you do if you work here, anyway...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a Wii that students play with on the big screen in the hall at dinner. Whilst not in use it lives in our office, good for getting things off your chest.

Thank Post
    The PE teachers were saying to me about wii's but I said its cheaper and more beneficial for the students to do some proper exercise!! I had to the cross country in the rain and PE in alsorts of weather. Kids nowadays have got it easy!!

Thank Post
    Our Year 12 ICT classes are studying OCR nationals Level 3. A unit of which involves the reasearch of programming for video games. For this reason we are currently in the process of aquiring one of each of the current and previous generation consoles.

As far as suppliers go Westwood Associates (Forum Sponsers) are pretty much unbeatable in my experience.

We have had interest in the use of PSP's and DS's but I can't see the benefits when you consider the cost of the devices and the fact that a lot of the "educational" software is available for a PC in some freeware form.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    good for getting things off your chest.
    Most of the games on the included Wii Sports are a bit duff, but we've found it's remarkably easy to work up a good sweat with the boxing game! We'll see how we get opn when the Wii Fit board turns up.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I've been looking for a way to get one here in my primary school as i could see great benefits here. This school is a huge gaming community. I have been toying with the idea of setting up a gaming tournament for year group and the winner of each then plays the winner from a different year group.

How is this going to help? Well i was going to ask Game station to donate some vouchers for their store and all the pupils buy into the tournament for 10p.

10p for the chance to win £35 worth of vouchers just before christmas sounds a good idea to me. Especially how everyone thinks that they're the bees knees at games anyway

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread