+ Post New Thread
New Project Ideas Thread, All-In-One in EduGeek Projects; So we have an EduGeek Joomla Package. I was thinking what about an all in one package? Something like: Website ...

Thank Post

All-In-One

So we have an EduGeek Joomla Package. I was thinking what about an all in one package? Something like:

Website
    |______ Staff Intranet (via ldap auth)
    | |__________ Room Booking
    | |__________ Helpdesk
    | |__________ Other stuff to do with staff only
    |
    |______ Student Intranet (via ldap auth)
    |__________ Stuff to do with pupils only (i.e. Announcements)

This kind of thing I'm thinking about - Just so everything is under one roof with single sign on.

Is this kind of thing possible?

Thank Post
    That would be immense!
    Would love to be a part of any help I can offer on a project like this.
    It would provide such a great resource for schools without technical teams (primary sector etc).

Anyone needs me I'm available!

Thank Post
    I just think that things will be so much easier to use (for staff) if they all sit in the same place and require one password.

There's no way I can manage this on my own so that's why I am pushing it out there for thoughts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @Hightower:
    sharepoint will allow you to do all this and more and it's also free for the portal services. Why re-invent the wheel?

Thank Post
    Well I've worked as a primary school ICT teacher so I would be happy to share my experiences in the project. If we could gather a team of volunteers and discuss what we'd like to see from a low and high level then things could start to happen.
    I would be happy to setup some sort of base for the project with regards to hosting space, I really don't use enough of what I've paid for.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower:
    sharepoint will allow you to do all this and more and it's also free for the portal services. Why re-invent the wheel?
    All of it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower:
    'Free'? Don't you mean 'Free, once you've bought a Windows 2003 server license and CALs, and most likely an SQL server license, and CALS'. Free some becomes expensive.

Such a project could easily be managed with a VMWare appliance - Ubuntu back end and then the components (RT or GLPI, OCS-NG, MRBS, Joomla etc...) installed on top.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows Sharepoint Servers (currently v3) is free - assuming you have a suitable Windows Server 2003 box to put it on.

Office Sharepoint Server (aka Sharepoint Portal Server) is not free.

Started off with WSS3 here, and moved up to OSS in the summer so could get the Exchange Webparts and also the MySite bits. Great for an intranet - now being used as our VLE platform.... just got to convince Moodle to play nice with it (or reverse!).

Thank Post
    Surely this can all be done through a rather more extensive version of the Joomla Package though. I'm not saying it would be a small task, or that any single person would have time to do it, but as a collective, the world is an Edugeek oyster.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    Surely this can all be done through a rather more extensive version of the Joomla Package though. I'm not saying it would be a small task, or that any single person would have time to do it, but as a collective, the world is an Edugeek oyster.
    Doing it all in Joomla would probably not be the best solution though, as it would require a *massive* amount of work. Integrating external software (GLPI etc...) into Joomla as elements would work a lot easier, and would mean it could be simple to keep up to date also.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IF people are interested in this then I would recommend considering how it would fit into solutions such as karoshi.

Thank Post
    Just so everything is under one roof with single sign on.
    Absolutely, good idea, although I'd favour each of the items you suggest being on the smaller and self-contained side. This is just from my experience developing with Moodle - an open source project that has hit a certain scale, and attracts developers of varying degrees of competency. Moodle is now a fair wodge of code, much of it undocumented, some badly written (well, that's what you get on PHP-based projects: PHP programmers...). If you simply aim for a set of components that happen to work well together then if someone screws one up it doesn't affect the others.

To be honest, "integration" probably doesn't need to mean anything more than all authenticating against an LDAP server. Maybe some kind of single-sign-on system would be doable, maybe some kind of well-defined SOAP/REST/etc web-services API to let different components talk to each other would be nice. I think I'm more aiming for a lightweight "framework" idea than some great slab of code that people have to wade through and add bits to. It lets people use different languages, too, so those of you upset by the PHP comment above don't have to put up with me :-)

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Unfortunately my programming skills end at "As IF".
    If theres anything else I can do though i'm more then happy to chip in, i'm reasonably handy with an Iron Mongers hammer!
    All jokes aside though i'm happy to help!

Thank Post
    Would be great to do something like this! I'm certainly interested in helping. Can't do design and I can't program though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Website
    |______ Staff Intranet (via ldap auth)
    | |__________ Room Booking
    | |__________ Helpdesk
    | |__________ Other stuff to do with staff only
    |
    |______ Student Intranet (via ldap auth)
    |__________ Stuff to do with pupils only (i.e. Announcements)
    This isn't a million miles from how our setup is. We went for the 'mashup' option using separate apache virtual hosts on discrete sites for things like room bookings and VLE. all the services authenticate to the same LDAP (apache provides layered auth to AD). it's tied together with drupal (similar to joomla). Some of the sites appear as one as they share similar themes. things like zimbra email and the helpdesk are just a link to another server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information