I'm testing iTalc 2 (I tried V1 a while back with no success) and it looks like it could be ideal here.
But I can't get this to work either. Installed the master on a Windows 7 (32bit) PC and the client on some test XP PCs on the same subnet. When I add them to the classroom they appear (eventually) but cannot be managed - you can't play the demo screen or share the screen/lock the session etc. When you view the screen it does show the screen but its incredibly slow to render it. Once someone logs into the client you get 'unreachable' at the master end!
I've tried with the firewall disabled/enabled and it makes no difference (the client installer seems well designed in the fact it adds its own exception - nice touch) and I'm frustrated as this has so much promise for use in our classrooms!
Anyone got any setup tips I can try?
Are you importing the master certificate? I've been playing with iTalc 2 for some time now. When I found the program I set it up and had similar issues. This to me sounds like your not issuing the certificates properly. As far as I have found you need to generate an Administrator certificate to be able to take full control of a system. In each of our IT Suites I have setup a Teacher and Administrator Certificate which seems to give me full access using the administrator certificate on my workstation.
I'd love to use Italc in my primaries (as there's never going to be he money to buy in other products for this) but the reall killer for me is that I couldn't find anyway of manually unlocking a client once its locked (and central control unlock fails) as it means pupils losing all there work so far :(