Solution to stop people disconnecting network cables (Testers wanted please)
Note: This is in test currently, Not for live deployment!
As from the amount of posts in the scripts forum about getting help with disabling a computer once someone disconnects the network cable, I decided to go about writing a little free program designed to easily do this.
The main idea of the program being able to totally lock the student out of the computer while it's disconnected from the network. Thus stopping any issues with GPOs not applying, games not being blocked, etc etc.
Hopefully few people wouldn't mind testing it for any holes/bugs, I might have missed :doh:
How's it look:
The program "should" run unseeable during normal use, and like this during lock (aka disconnected network):
- Locks the computer screen on a disconnection from network.
- Relocks the screen if a teacher unlocks the program while it's still disconnected from network.
- Checks the network connection on program load, so even if it's already disconnected it will lock.
- Unlockable through simple password on lock screen.
- Records time of lock.
- Records attempted bypasses, and password entries. (In debug only currently)
- Windows XP: FN-GM Tested (Didn't work, but think it's due to not having .NET framwork installed)
- Windows Vista: Tested (But would like more tests if possible)
- Windows 7: FN-GM Tested (But would like more tests if possible_
- Wireless: Not Tested
- Wired: Tested (But would like more tests if possible)
- If you have any secondary network connections, e.g. hamachi it still classifies this as a network connection, so won't lock. As "officially" you're not disconnected :P (Trying to fix this, but I assume most school computers don't use multiple connections anyway, at least not that I've worked with) (If you're not getting locked, good idea to check this, and disable 2nd connection while testing program)
- Bypass attempts don't update during graphics update (but looking to sort this)
- Very dark/hard to see colours. Due to it being totally random in choosing colours currently, it will sometimes pick stupid colours. This will be sorted shortly!
Q: What can disable this?
A: Obviously items like taskmanager, and/or WMI scripts "can" kill the program, but this shouldn't be available to students anyway.
Q: Red Buttons on program?
A: Aren't shown in proper release, just there for debugging. Kill switch (Incase i/you break something major and can't get out :P) and Force Redraw just for testing.
Q: What's the password?!?!?!?!?
Any and all testing on it would be appreciated, Would be nice to get a final live version up and sorted :P If you have ANY suggestions, feedback etc would all be greatly welcomed.
(Also I've only tested this on a computer with Visual Studios on, so would be nice to know if it requests any installs to work)
v2 - Added secondary admin login, and enabled auto-unlock
v1 - Original