MSI package creation on CC3
Hi. We've been creating MSI packages on our CC3 network at a primary school with mixed success. Sometimes we can do it without a hitch and other times - often for very basic software - we get nowehere. We're using WINLE and the AppWiz. Neither of us has been on the package build course, and are not likely to get ever get funding for it.
Our biggest problem is that the shortcuts don't show up in the program set. Or when they do, they seem to "displace" another shortcut. And once in a while, the shortcut shows up but doesn't work. We do know about copying and pasting into the shortcut bank, and we always start with a clean workstation. And we have declared surrender on DigiBlue.
Can anyone give us any tips, or any recommendations for a package build sequence that helps? If the RM course really does help, we'll start a campaign to get one of us sent on it. It looks like RM used to have a troubleshooting guide on the Knowledge base, but it's vanished.
Thanks! I have some ideas already
Thanks very much, everyone. Some of the things you've said have helped already. I feel incredibly thick for not knowing about the shortcut folder. I have been on the CC3 course, and we did a highly condensed session on package building, but the instructor didn't think he could really go into much detail. Fridays are "package build" days, and I would like to finish one with all the hair I started with.
If I had my druthers, I would go on the course. We also have used the Blueprints for a couple packages. I come from a programming background and don't find the ideas about it difficult, but I always have the feeling that the RM stuff is doing things I don't know about. (Wearing a tin foil hat helps, I am told.)
Cheers. An don't feel you need to quit talking....
Many thanks - packages now working!
Many thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I went in this afternoon and shifted some shortcuts, tweaked some targets, renamed a few things and now all those noddy little annoying packages are in their program sets, working nicely for garden-variety students. We may now go back to a CD-based program we had given up on and have another crack at it.
The troubleshooting package pdf seems to have been taken off the RM site. If anyone has a copy banging around, I would love to have one.