+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger Remote Control ... Slowly starting to annoy me... in Technical; Morning all, The time has come to actually make use of the program we have, Ranger Remote Control. Im sure ...

Thank Post

Ranger Remote Control ... Slowly starting to annoy me...

Morning all,

The time has come to actually make use of the program we have, Ranger Remote Control. Im sure most of you have heard of it!

We dont use it to its full extent we only use it for classroom management, to monitor the kids e.t.c

So whats the problem?

We have installed the client software on all of the machines in the classroom we wish to deploy Ranger, we have given all of the computers a reservation on the DHCP, lets say this reservation is 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.26.

Once all of the computers are turned on, i go to the teachers machine, of which has the management console, and input the IP range into the network side of the software so that the software knows where to look for the computers... I click browse... and no computers show... WHAT?! (EDIT - of course all of the computers are on the same subnet, i have made sure they have the correct network settings and the correct IP etc... and all cables are in etc)

So my questions is, how does everyone else set up their Ranger, is there an easier way... easier may be the wrong word to use... is there a more effective way?

Any help is hugely appreciated as im on my last nerve with this software.

Ryan
    Last edited by RJohnson91; 9th August 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Thank Post
    I assume it needs some firewall ports open on the clients to listen for the console

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I assume it needs some firewall ports open on the clients to listen for the console

See thats what I dont understand, we dont use Windows firewall, we use Sophos... and some computers come up in other rooms on Ranger.

Thank Post
    If your Tutor console is on the same network then you should just be able to connect out of the box. There are a few different ways of connecting to student machines with Ranger Remote Control (aka NetSupport School).

If all your machines use a naming convention with some sort of prefix you can connect to all machines based on a prefix. Alternatively you can create a list of computers that you can connect to, finally there is a way to connect to a room of computers. Each student machine is configured for a room (or the student can choose) and the Tutor connect to that room.

You shouldn't have to tell the Tutor the IP range, in all of the above modes it will browse the network to find the relevant students that should be in its class.

There is an article here about how to connect to students -
    http://www.netsupportsoftware.com/su...kb/TechDoc.xsl

Rob
    Last edited by rdhawkins; 10th August 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post

Hope this helps

Sounds like the clients have a firewall on.

Ranger remote requires the following to be open through a workstation firewall

Technical Document Number - 441

use the nss option which is the same as Ranger Remote

Rgds

Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson91 View Post
    Morning all,

The time has come to actually make use of the program we have, Ranger Remote Control. Im sure most of you have heard of it!

We dont use it to its full extent we only use it for classroom management, to monitor the kids e.t.c

So whats the problem?

We have installed the client software on all of the machines in the classroom we wish to deploy Ranger, we have given all of the computers a reservation on the DHCP, lets say this reservation is 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.26.

Once all of the computers are turned on, i go to the teachers machine, of which has the management console, and input the IP range into the network side of the software so that the software knows where to look for the computers... I click browse... and no computers show... WHAT?! (EDIT - of course all of the computers are on the same subnet, i have made sure they have the correct network settings and the correct IP etc... and all cables are in etc)

So my questions is, how does everyone else set up their Ranger, is there an easier way... easier may be the wrong word to use... is there a more effective way?

Any help is hugely appreciated as im on my last nerve with this software.

Ryan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread