+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Does anyone else use PaperCut? in Technical; What multifunctions are you using, could be on the release station app side that issues are being generated....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What multifunctions are you using, could be on the release station app side that issues are being generated.

Thank Post
    We are getting it shortly and I know that @jonnykewell1 has it at his school

Thank Post
    We're running NG happily here!

I suggest seizing admin access!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    What multifunctions are you using, could be on the release station app side that issues are being generated.
    Yup that sounds more like the embedded client causing an issue then the Server Side - what Devices are you using?

Thank Post
    Well it was installed by a third party with no input from us, and we don't have admin access, we could get the password from the Resources people but we are taking a hands off approach at the moment. The key problem is mostly that jobs aren't recognised by the printer devices at all. The setup is a bit strange to me, we have 3 "public" printers, one in the staff room for just staff of course, one in the Library for everyone and one in the office for... Well just for the office really. The idea being all these printers are referenced by the virtual printer "School Printer". When printing to that printer you should then be able to go to any of the public printers, type your PIN in and it will print out your job to that particular printer. It works for the staff room but the library is a different matter... Students don't have PINS, their jobs should just spew out, but that doesnt happen, the librarian has to input her code which then allows the student jobs to proceed. This happens apparently at random. Othertimes she will put her code in and it will display no jobs. The print history and queue on the device show no evidence of the jobs whatsoever. Windows itself is adamant that the job has been printed successfully.

As I said, it is almost random in that sometimes a hand full of the machines in the library will show these problems then they will work and others will fail or they all fail etc... We have had the third party installers in who provided the printers and installed the software and on both occasions they happened to turn up at the exact time that it started working temporarily and as we all know if you can't replicate the issue you can't do much with it.

The devices are Ricoh branded I believe.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I use papercut print logger here which I think is great. I'd love to use the full product, but there just isn't the backing from staff to limit/charge for printing. Maybe this is what the OP doubts? I doubt our school could use it successfully.
    Didn't even know they had that as a free bit of software, cheers for the heads up. Installed and logging away! Cracking little utility thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbygaz View Post
    Didn't even know they had that as a free bit of software, cheers for the heads up. Installed and logging away! Cracking little utility thanks!
    Papercut Print Logger Free edition - Log Distiller ASP page

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    The devices are Ricoh branded I believe.
    We use the Ricoh stuff to and it works ok here, We use direct printers though. Sounds like it could be config based with clients pushing jobs into the wrong queues. I'd just keep calling them back, as its mf you'll have to go through the suppliers for upgrades, there is a tech support forum for it but you'd need your licence key to get in.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

gumbygaz (5th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Papercut Print Logger Free edition - Log Distiller ASP page
    2009! blimey, I have been slow on the uptake then!! Cheers for that!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    I just doubt the fact that it is as popular as it is claimed to be, but evidently I'm wrong! To me it seems like the kind of software that would be a lot cheaper or even free or at least something that could be hashed together from free products. But then what would I know? We (The network admins) don't have admin access to it so perhaps it is great after all!
    Maybe it's for the best? There are a couple of departments around here that are going to wish I didn't have admin access to Papercut when I send them their print usage reports for this academic year in September. And sending them termly reminders that they should photocopy not print multiple copies, grrrr....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Maybe it's for the best? There are a couple of departments around here that are going to wish I didn't have admin access to Papercut when I send them their print usage reports for this academic year in September. And sending them termly reminders that they should photocopy not print multiple copies, grrrr....
    Our copiers are our printers so luckily that is not a distinction is not one we had to deal with, they do get stroppy when they actually have limits imposed on their tree genocide.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just hope they appreciate the irony when I print out these, colour coded, reports telling them they shouldn't print as much!

I'm trying to avoid setting limits, but thats what happens if they ignore the report. One department in particular printed more last year than any one year group or our admin team! Not bad for 8 teachers!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PaperCut NG here. Same as @alan-d: We do not charge but use it for monitoring both staff and student printing. Students see the widget that tells them how much credit they have left. If they run out of credit they cannot print again until their account is automatically re-charged or they come and see us to get more credit assigned manually.

Thank Post
    When it comes to the administration of printing itself the Resources department handle it all, they used to do it more manually, collating the reports from the individual Multifunctions and pulling out who spent what, now papercut handles some of that so thankfully I don't have to content with staff who are convinced they need more printing credit and what not.

Ultimately though I don't want to get bogged down in silly printing issues which is my main reluctance to get admin access to paper cut. As with most things if I/we have access to it we become the sole operator of it in the staff's eyes and then we would end up with the whole banning kids for printing too much and all that. I have emailed our installer/supporter regarding admin access as it turns out that even the Resources lady who should have admin doesn't actually have true "Operator" status if you like, she has "Account/Budget administrator" type access so as it stands no-one has true admin status 0.o Probably a mis-communication somewhere...

Thank Post
    good bit of software. I have installed it on several occasion. NG is pretty basic, only used the full blown version

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast