+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger Desktop Issues in Technical; Hi When I build a new build and log on without installing Ranger the PC acts notally and a user ...
    Thank Post

Ranger Desktop Issues

Hi

When I build a new build and log on without installing Ranger the PC acts notally and a user can modify the desktop..

If I add Ranger and they are a member of the Staff Group they get the staff Desktop, with ICons and unable to copy or save to the desktop.. (which is how it should be)

But If I take Ranger off of the PC the user does not get the modifyable desktop as before Ranger was installed ..

They get the default Ranger Desktop and cannot save, modify or find the normal programs..

But Ranger has been uninstalled .. so why cannot the user modify the desktop..

I deleted all the profiles but still this default destop with restrictions keeps enforcing itself....

Any IDEAS ON HOW i CAN STOP THIS ?

Thank Post

Re: Ranger Desktop Issues

When Ranger is removed, it does not revoke the registry changes that were made to the users. Therefore, the desktop folder redirection is still in place and pointing to the read-only folder that it was when the client was on.

Deleting the user profile completely, from the roaming profile location and its cached local copy or just the local copy (if roaming not in use) will always set it back to the pre-Ranger client form.

Thank Post

Or in other words

RANGER uninstall is not worth a dollop of cow dung.

It can naff-up a lot of other settings as well so be careful.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by snrweb
    Deleting the user profile completely, from the roaming profile location and its cached local copy or just the local copy (if roaming not in use) will always set it back to the pre-Ranger client form.
    I did delete all the profiles that I could.. but is still forced the Ranger Desktop :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly_Transport
    Or in other words

IS there a dubng removal registery key ?

Thank Post

I did delete all the profiles that I could.. but is still forced the Ranger Desktop :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly_Transport
    Or in other words

IS there a dubng removal registery key ?

Thank Post

I can't see how any Ranger client registry settings could remain if all profiles are gone. Try creating a brand new user with nothing in their profile properties (IE local profile) and log on to a non-Ranger client machine. Do you still get it?

Thank Post

i had this too, i changed the ranger settings , installed, and then removed.

tis a pain.

Thank Post

I can't see how any Ranger client registry settings could remain if all profiles are gone. Try creating a brand new user with nothing in their profile properties (IE local profile) and log on to a non-Ranger client machine. Do you still get it?
    I did.. removed all the profiles from the Documents and settings folder .. even the hidden ones...

And then logged on as a domain user and the ranger" lockdowns were still enforced?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    i had this too, i changed the ranger settings , installed, and then removed.

tis a pain.
    What ranger settings did you change ?

Thank Post

What about the default user profile? If all profiles are removed including the cached local one and any roaming folder one AND the Ranger client is removed from the computer (via rangerremove) then the only way they can still be there is if the default user profile (either in c:\documents and settings\default user or <server\netlogon\default user>) must contain them.

Ok try this.

1. configure all the ranger environment settings as white (off) for a user who is a member of one of the groups.
    2. logon as this user to a machine that does not have Ranger client installed (IE no Ranger logo in tooltray)
    3. Do the settings get revoked? If so, Ranger client is on the computer. If not, carry on:
    4. Log off as the user and on as the local administrator.
    5. Delete ALL local profiles except default user
    6. Delete that users roaming profile
    7. reboot and logon as this user. No ranger client or profile so it is created for the user on logon.
    8. what does it look like? If it is the teletubbies desktop and xp start menu then it is the typical default user profile. If not, it is either that users profile still or someone has replaced the default user profile with another and if that one had Ranger settings, they will of course come back.
    9. If it is not the teletubbies one, open regedit and look for HKLM and HKCU\Software\Hyperion registry keys. This is evidence of Ranger client having been installed to that profile which if the client is not there anymore would explain it.
    10. Finally, make some changes to that users Ranger group settings and log on as the user. is there a Ranger splash screen? There should not be as there is no client and also those changes should not be set.

I don't doubt what you say so therefore it must be the default user profile.

<gets out hat and put salt'n'pepper on ready to eat>

Thank Post

i'll look it on monday when i'm back in the office, but i think i set the default startmenu to be none then installed ranger, then removed.

Thank Post

How did you get on?

Thank Post

How did you get on?
    I will be trying it again today..

But from your description of "<server\netlogon\default user>) must contain them" I think you are suggesting that we arre using roaming profiles.. ??

We are using local profiles .. and I did delete the Default User and every other profile apart from the All Users.. which is empty...

Plus bvefore I started I Rangerremoved and then deleted the Ranger Profiles..

Thank Post

the problem is that the computer remembers the last ranger setting it saw, which is why you need to show it ranger with no settings, then change all your current ranger machines back to normal ( as they can still see settings)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit

But from your description of "<server\netlogon\default user>) must contain them" I think you are suggesting that we arre using roaming profiles.. ??

We are using local profiles .. and I did delete the Default User and every other profile apart from the All Users.. which is empty...

Plus bvefore I started I Rangerremoved and then deleted the Ranger Profiles..
    On some system i have seen a default user folder in the netlogon share. If this is present, all new user logons will use this as the basis for their new profile, regardless of local or roaming. This can catch people out who then change a local default user profile and wonder why it is being ignored for new user logons. Its a throwback to NT Server / NT Workstation days when Microsoft used to recommend doing it to standardise the default user profile across all clients.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread