+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Using RANGER with Windows 7/2008 R2 Network in Technical; We currently have a really old version of Ranger (5.8). Currently with no upgrade protection. We run XP and 2003 ...

Thank Post

Using RANGER with Windows 7/2008 R2 Network

We currently have a really old version of Ranger (5.8). Currently with no upgrade protection.
    We run XP and 2003 R2 Network. As we are looking to progress to Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 we are now pondering whether it is worth paying for the new version of Ranger or is it time to ditch it?

Any opinions? Anyone actually using Ranger successfully with Win 7 and Server 2008 R2?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally i would ditch. What features do you use?

Thank Post
    @FN-GM - not sure - I am 2 weeks into the job. Never used Ranger before so not sure what it can do over and above what GPO can do.

Thank Post
    The only thing that Ranger has that I miss is the LanRanger Realtime interface, everything else is replaceable with either native or low cost tools.
    RM wanted it dead and that's where it is. I too would ditch it and get on with Win7 and 2008R2 there are too many schools that have held back network development due to the staff reliance on these tools.
    Free yourself and the school and save money at the same time.

5. Thanks to m25man from:

stevenlong1985 (25th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Not cheap, but we purchased Impero when we moved away from Ranger to a Vanilla Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 set up.

Works a treat, seems to fill most of the gaps that ranger leaves behind (but in a less intrusive way) and is popular with the staff for managing student computers.

7. Thanks to Ashm from:

russdev (20th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Other than Ranger Remote and Print Management (which work reguardless) we are ditching Ranger with our Windows 7 deployment.

Both work perfectly fine on Server 2008 R2 and Win 7 though

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Other than Ranger Remote and Print Management (which work reguardless) we are ditching Ranger with our Windows 7 deployment.

Both work perfectly fine on Server 2008 R2 and Win 7 though
    You should look at Lanschool its cheaper than Ranger Remote (and better i think)

Thank Post
    I am currently using ranger with win7, winxp and 2 server 2008 DCs, no issues, but I am too thinking to ditch it due to the added cost. Impero to replace lanranger and use third party form print management. The other thing you might find difficult to replace is Ranger User Account Manager, whihc allows bulk creation, modification of usernames and migration of users' files.

My only concern is ranger removale from workstations, it always leaves a trail and that might intefere with machine config and make the machines unstable; Please advise if any of yu guys have managed tp clean the PCs without having to re-image with a clean image.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

11. Thanks to armadillo from:

russdev (20th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You should look at Lanschool its cheaper than Ranger Remote (and better i think)
    Quite happy with the current version we have as far as I can tell we won't have any serious money for at least another year for 'non essential' software updates anyways.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would strongly suggest ditching it (Ranger isn't exactly great with Win 7) in favour of doing it properly, and Impero on top. Worth it's weight in gold, that thing. Dunno how much Russ and Mark weight between them but it's worth it

14. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

russdev (20th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Having installed nearly 50 Ranger systems over the last few years it's still very much a viable and cost effective solution to a large number of schools both Secondary and Primary. As for Ranger being killed off, that is definitely not the case, if anything there are more resources being put into Ranger and you can expect some new features and improvements coming out this side of the Summer holidays.
    Ranger if set up properly is still a very good product, speak to the people that use it and install it every day to find out what it can do and about the new add-on that is being included when 7.4 rolls out shortly.

Thank Post
    If you wan to run Windows 7 with Ranger you will need to upgrade anyway so have a look around is always a good idea. I would suspect that your Ranger hasn't let the shcool down for a good while hence using 5.8 still - value in that reliability for sure.

All systems will have their pro's and cons even vanilla MS. Many here like to carve their own route and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem most school have is a lack of correctly skilled resource to manage and develop a network which is where products like Ranger came from by aggregating and simplifying tasks for those without time - nothing has changed.

Ranger development has been quiet for a while but it still works well and with a mix of windows 7 and xp clients on the same network which is a plus. The new version promised this summer apparently promises much so worth a look before you trash it.

These systems all do much the same thing it is how intuitive the system is to you and comfortable you feel with the product roadmap. We looked at Impero but as a small company still (companies house webcheck) we thought they may have a way to go to support their product development and become a mainstream supplier maybe next incarnation of the network will be their time.

Good luck

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 57chevvy View Post
    ....These systems all do much the same thing it is how intuitive the system is to you and comfortable you feel with the product roadmap. We looked at Impero but as a small company still (companies house webcheck) we thought they may have a way to go to support their product development and become a mainstream supplier maybe next incarnation of the network will be their time.

Good luck
    Wow where do I start i broken this into sections for easy reading.......

Pinch of Salt Time
    I think my undercover supplier alert is going off at moment an account opened in 2010 has 14 posts all about ranger and in last 12 months been used twice and last time it was used was January. This raises questions of either you work for Ranger/RM or a Ranger/RM partner school and either way if you do need to declare this to everyone. Obviously only mods/admins will be able to tell for sure...

Size Of Impero
    First company house records just say how long you have been a company the product has been developed for 10 years as the directors Lee & Jon worked in a school were this software came about. Currently on Impero 3 (so had two incarnations of the software and arguable Impero have done more in last 2 years in terms of moving the product forward then any of our competitors). Impero is a main stream supplier we on daily bases take people move away from likes of Ranger, RM, Netsupport (in fact had a well-known Academy who were a 'netsupport' school moved over to Impero last week). Several high profile local authorities have moved to Impero and several high profile contracts currently being worked.

Development

You talk about roadmap seriously you can argue that as a product Ranger is still same product it was back when RM brought it even now that Ranger is part RM software Division RM they haven't done much with it. You look at power management is a big area for schools and cost saving is part of Impero but lot of our competitors do not have power management.

Better questions to ask are how much development has been done to a product what new features have you added in last 12 months and does it work on platforms our customers want (Windows 7 which some of our competitors are still having issues with).

Customers
    However I like to let Impero customers speak for themselves on here which they have done time and time again. Same as I let Ranger, netsupport, cc3, cc4 , ab tutor customers etc etc speak on how a product performs (and again they do)..
    Last edited by russdev; 22nd June 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    So looks like the majority of regular contributors to Edugeek suggest ditching it and a couple of non-regulars (one being a declared Ranger Dealer) suggest to keep it.

Thank Post
    still using it here, the reporting and recording tools are a real bonus along with the title checking etc.
    we have started looking at how it works with Win 7 and were suprised that there is currently just one set of policy/control template for it currently.
    We have queried this and all of a sudden seem to have had more contact with them, a while back we were talking directly to one or two of the developers but since the take over they appear to have disappeared.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast