+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Using RANGER with Windows 7/2008 R2 Network in Technical; Originally Posted by SHimmer45 still using it here, the reporting and recording tools are a real bonus along with the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    still using it here, the reporting and recording tools are a real bonus along with the title checking etc.
    we have started looking at how it works with Win 7 and were suprised that there is currently just one set of policy/control template for it currently.
    We have queried this and all of a sudden seem to have had more contact with them, a while back we were talking directly to one or two of the developers but since the take over they appear to have disappeared.
    This is my worry. What benefits does Ranger provide under Win 7? I dont want to pay to upgrade then find there is nothing there for us!!!

Thank Post
    I would say most of the functionality is the same from XP to 7 from what i have looked at so far. In fact to use it on 7 you might need to upgrade anyway to give you the support to work with the newer templates.

Thank Post
    As an independant dealer we will always offer impartial advice based on the schools requirements and current system. I can understand the frustrations that existing Ranger customers have had in the past with lack of support and development from Ranger, we have expierenced that as well. But what I can say is that this has now changed, RM are putting resources in to developing Ranger and a new version 7.4 is due out by the end of term. This will add more functionality to Ranger and Windows 7, improved open and saved paths as well as ADMX support. To complement this they are also including with the next version 'Ranger Portico'.
    This will allow users to access their shared folders from home or anywhere else for that matter on your own device (BYOD), be it PC, Mac, iPad or mobile. Final field trials are currently underway for this.

Thank Post
    @MarkArmstrong Are there any whitepapers to go with the new version? I would be interested in what the new features are.

Thank Post
    I will speak to the developers and see what I can get for you, if you want to contact me directly I will happily share the information with you.

Thank Post
    @MarkArmstrong - Mark, we are also a Ranger school (7.2.03) looking at Win 7 - if you can send me any details of 7.4 and Win 7 support that would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drdos256 View Post
    @MarkArmstrong - Mark, we are also a Ranger school (7.2.03) looking at Win 7 - if you can send me any details of 7.4 and Win 7 support that would be much appreciated.
    I am out of the office Ranger training so will reply tomorrow.

Thank Post
    I spent 4 years installing, supporting and training Ranger until RM bought it then the next 4 years removing it and going Native.
    I guess it still has a place, but on the whole since my first posts on Edugeek in 2005 when 60% of the networks were CC3 and 40% Ranger, CSE & Classlink, the skill and knowledge levels of technical staff in schools has evolved at such a rate I find it hard to believe that there are many sites out there that would actually want to pay for such tools and overlays any more.Group Policy Management is now most school technicians second language and resources and peer groups such as this have almost killed them off completely.
    I wonder what the year on year sales figures have been for some of these Managemant tools in say the last five years?

Thank Post
    We ditched it a couple of years ago and have only missed 1 thing, the live lanranger bit. Everything else has been much less complicated using standard Server2008 and win7. Although we are still using V10 of ranger remote control, with no support which i am looking at binning too.

Thank Post
    I'm about to ditch it. If i need anything to run on my vanilla network i will get Impero in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkArmstrong View Post
    I will speak to the developers and see what I can get for you, if you want to contact me directly I will happily share the information with you.
    Hi Mark, have been using ranger since 2003 and I am still happy with it. I use a ombination of GPOs and ranger. Could you please send me the information about version 7 and its support of win7.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Rangers print management software is this re branded, GAIA Print Charger: Print, Net & Copy Cost Recovery & Monitoring

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12