+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Asset inventory in Technical; Hey guys, Either im not searching for the right things and/or terms on google, or there is really nothing out ...

Thank Post

Question Asset inventory

Hey guys,

Either im not searching for the right things and/or terms on google, or there is really nothing out there for me.

I am looking for a simple Network Inventory, Asset Inventory, Endpoint inventory system, that had a web interface to view and edit and ideally runs on some sort of database, mysql, mssql, oracle etc. Whether is runs an agent or not to probe the information is not much of a concern. Most of them use WMI.

My main issue is that the inventory system would require a people and location option that the assets could be assigned to. If custom fields can be created too would be a big asset. Any ideas? I've been searching for weeks tried a few but always came up empty handed.

Tried Spiceworks/LanSweeper, issue is that it scans via ipscope. Our IP environment is shared within a university and our ip's are scattered over a (Ex: 192.168.X.X) range. The infrastructure is AD based, some pc's are not attached to the domain, an agent running would help.

many thanks for your time, i've been searching for countless hours.
    OpenAudit is cool, though not maintained for a few years, it does the job, but no people, location attributes. I know it's alot to ask for, but i'm sure there is something out there I haven't found yet. I need help! Thank you
    Last edited by Fred2k; 5th June 2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: few typos

Thank Post
    @Fred2k,

I have 4 suggestions for you,
    OCS inventory NG
    GLPI
    Webhelpdesk
    PDQ Inventory

I started with OCS and GLPI they integrate well together and OCS uses an agent. They are both free GPL

Webhelpdesk is commercial helpdesk software with asset management. I like to use it to manage my static assets with serial numbers. I can assign people to each asset. It also supports many custom fields and allows you to import from spreadsheets so getting your data in is easy.

My favorite is PDQ inventory there is a free and pro version. You can sync your computers in from AD and get hardware and software inventory. It's only down side is that it is dynamic, and updated with your AD, this is usually good but for records something static is nice. This is why I use webhelpdesk for assigning devices to people with serial numbers etc. and I use PDQ to keep track of software currently on the network and who needs software update xyz.

Hope this helps.

3. Thanks to ADMaster from:

speckytecky (5th June 2012)

Thank Post
    I'd recommend Network Inventory Explorer Network Inventory Software for Windows: Audit and Track Network Computer Inventory (Hardware & Software)
    it uses wmi and agents if I am not mistaken and it has the web interface as well.

Thank Post
    We inherited OCS, and have trialled glpi, both of which seem pretty simple, but sadly they are not comprehensive enough for our needs so we are going with Real Asset Management's solution.

Thank Post
    We use glpi but not with discovery.

Does a good job for us and we have over 8581 tickets submitted in the last 12 months by Staff.. As much as possible is inventoried in terms of hardware so we can eaily see what's been done to what.

Rob

Thank Post
    What about Spiceworks? (Spiceworks - Free Community, Help Desk and IT Management App.) it's free, has an inventory, helpdesk, pulls serials numbers where it can and you can manually add in other items as you need (monitors, cameras etc)

Thank Post
    We use LanSweeper - It is basically Google for our internal PC/Server environment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread