+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM networks - the important bits in Technical; Witjout going into too much detail I have a job interview in a weeks time for a role I was ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

RM networks - the important bits

Witjout going into too much detail I have a job interview in a weeks time for a role I was previously interviewed but unsuccessful as another candidate was more experienced. A few months on the role is vacant again but I now know several of the schools the team and i will be supporting in this role are RM networks.

Having only ever used vanilla setups and not even looking at RM before could anyone help with some key details? What's so different what makes an RM do different from vanilla besides a few bits of software?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Network and Classroom Managment forum.

3. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

bondbill2k2 (23rd May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's a few different RM networks to consider. The main two are CC3 and CC4, the "other" is Ranger.

In a very nutty nutshell:

CC3
    Everything works in conjunction with Active Directory. Short of software and printer deployment, everything can be done in either CC3 or AD directly, however a small mistake in AD can easily break things. CC3 servers will either be Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 x86. Most likely the latter (you hope!)

CC4
    CC4 is just the newer version of CC3 adding support for Vista and Windows 7 and is far more modular. It's had a lot of slack but reliabilty these days isn't at all bad. CC4 servers can be 2003, 2008 or 2008R2 based depending on the network's age. It does share information with AD however it mostly works on it's own internal database. Being more modern, there's apps and ways of using things like iPads with CC4 too.

Otherwise, they share the same basic idea. A management console on the server(s) and stations (all stations for CC3, designated stations for CC4) is the hub for all network changes, from where you can deploy software, make global or group based changes to registry and security policies, drive mappings, printer mappings and credits, power management, wake ups, shut downs etc.
    Software deployment is usually done via a "clean machine" - designated station kept free of unnecessary software on which you create MSI packages using RM's Application Wizard which is a layer on Winstall LE. Once the package is complete, it's automatically uploaded to the server and able to be deployed to one or more stations via management console.

Both systems are quite intuitive if you're switchedon, however you can easily spend a lot of time drilling down into the specifics. I would probably suggest doing a lot more reading up on it better still finding a local school or techy willing to show you their setup.

Ranger
    Ranger is what I know least about - it's pretty much a GUI and client on top of a vanilla system and far less "built in" to the network compared to Community Connect. It's pretty much on it's way out I suspect, support for Win7 etc isn't great. Nearly everything is done via AD.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 24th May 2012 at 07:36 AM.

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

bondbill2k2 (24th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also don't know it it is still the case but RM CC3 you don't have DC separated form file servers. The other thing is the way that CCx deploys software each machine has an ini file that list what should be installed. I would try and sell your self at interview that you would be able to help the school move away from RM if they so which.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    The other thing is the way that CCx deploys software each machine has an ini file that list what should be installed.
    CC3 only.
    I would try and sell your self at interview that you would be able to help the school move away from RM if they so which.
    I probably wouldn't go to an interview for managing a particular system and spend the time telling them how to bin it. If they have advertised for someone to manage RM networks you need to sell yourself as someone who can manage RM networks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would try and sell your self at interview that you would be able to help the school move away from RM if they so which.
    The role is an LEA tech for multiple schools not all of which are RM. RM is not mentioned in any job description or person specifications so I only know this from the previous unsuccessful interview there.

Thank Post
    I went from next to no RM knowledge to this job that had a CC3 backbone and picked it up in a few weeks with no issues, upgraded to CC4.3 last summer and being involved with that process and a 3 day tech course at RM and I am sure I know enough to resolve just about anything (touchwood!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I see what they mean about CC4 management console being simple to use, practical test was mainly using that and a couple of other things. Passed fine and got the job They will also be running RM training for technicians so that should be useful!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    I see what they mean about CC4 management console being simple to use, practical test was mainly using that and a couple of other things. Passed fine and got the job They will also be running RM training for technicians so that should be useful!
    Just wait till it stops working. That's the real test.

Thank Post
    Where is the "Like" button @Edu-IT, But yes overall RM networks are a piece of p**s to run when it all works and are very good if you have more important things to get on with. However obvious stuff like a good knowledge of the server OS and features is essential. But congratulations anyhow.

14. Thanks to CharlieGreen from:

Edu-IT (5th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread