+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, AD Authentication through a QNAP NAS box in Technical; Afternoon all Having issues trying to allow AD authentication to a QNAP network NAS drive. We want to try out ...

Thank Post

AD Authentication through a QNAP NAS box

Afternoon all

Having issues trying to allow AD authentication to a QNAP network NAS drive. We want to try out to see if it would save thousands on replacing an antiquated server we are using only to host files.

I have the drive connected to AD and I am trying to allow the AD group "teaching staff" and "non teaching staff" read only access to files in the folder called Qmultimedia.

On the web console it looks okay, but when you try and access the folder it won't accept any authentication not even the admin credentials of the box!

Does anyone have any experience in configuring these devices?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Whoops wrong section, could a mod move this to the proper place - sorry!

Thank Post
    First of all, it is important to let us know what version of a QNAP device you are using. Because with the new "faster" atom models you get some different features. We are using two QNAP TS-459 Pro+ Turbo. The first thing is ofcourse you have to join your QNAP device to the Active Directory, in our current firmware I do that at the Access Rights Management -> Domain Security Tab. You join it to the domain to make sure it can retrieve all the domain information and allows you to assign AD groups/Users to the device.

Next when you go to the Share Folders option, select a folder you want to share and click on the Folder Permissions button. Now comes the "tricky" part, took me a while to actually find this. Add a new Permisison rule and if you properly connected the device to the AD it should take a while to load. When its done loading at the top left you will have a dropdown list with the default being at Local Users.

Change the option to Domain Users/Groups and select the group you want. After this you can define the read/write permissions however you like.

One final note though, when the computer password for the QNAP expires after 2/3 months or so it will not automatically renew this password. You have to rejoin the device. The downside to this is that the device will change all the SID codes for all users. So for us a user called: John Snow suddenly became Patrick Stewart. Its kinda weird and according to QNAP responses on their forums nothing can be done about it.

So every 2 to 3 months we rejoin the device and reset all permissions on all folders...

Some screenshots from my setup:

ad1.png

ad3.png

ad2.png
    Last edited by Wiebbe; 22nd May 2012 at 08:37 AM.

4. Thanks to Wiebbe from:

andyturpie (22nd May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread