+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, A couple of Ranger Primary questions. in Technical; Hi all. I have just finished setting up server 2003 with ranger primary installed and have added my first client ...

Thank Post

A couple of Ranger Primary questions.

Hi all.

I have just finished setting up server 2003 with ranger primary installed and have added my first client to the domain. I have a few issues I wondered if anyone has the patience to explain to me.

1, I am trying to create groups in the Ranger Account Manager for a class (Intake 2000) I then want to edit the policy for this group, change start menu etc. So I go into Ranger Administrator and click edit and settings and groups and synchronise. The manual says that I should now see the group I created, but I don't. Apparently I need to do this sync in order to view the newly created group in Ranger Administrator.

Have a done something wrong here and is that why the new Intake 2000 group is not listed?

2, We have an IT Suite here with different software than in classrooms. What is the best way to set up Ranger/Server 2003 so that when kids are in classrooms their start menu has only software for that classroom (I figured a group for each classroom woudl do this) but then when they log onto the computers in the IT Suite they have a different list of software. How would I do this in ranger? Do I need to some how assign a group to the IT Suite computers so that overrides the classroom group when they log on in the IT suite?

Let me know if I have not made myself clear.

As you can appreciate each classroom has different software as does the IT Suite however each group of computers in each room has the same software running.

IF anyone coudl point me in the right direction here, I am learning ranger and have only had brief training years ago! Looks like I should be able to do what I want in Ranger rather than Active Directory I just need a helping hand

Cheers

John

Thank Post

Re: A couple of Ranger Primary questions.

1. If you use Ranger Account Manager to create the group it will then appear in Ranger Administrator automatically. If you have created the group in AD then use the 'Synchronise' button in 'edit' - 'settings' - 'groups' to bring it in. Make sure you tick it in the list so it is then seen.

Remember its Groups that Ranger Acount Manager sees and not OUs

2. Different methods for this and all of them a compromise:

a. use a differnet user account for those locations with its own start menu/desktop. Difficult to manage as they will get user accounts mixed up and no central point for data.

b. use local start menus everywhere. Again, means some local management of each PC which does rather defeat the object.

c. use local start menu but network programs folder. Local only apps go in start menu. Needs some local management as above.

d. place a folder in the network start menu to a local folder where local apps are stored (eg c:\apps). Users click on this to see the local apps avaialble. Need to relax some security for this and again some local management.

e. Put all the apps on the network start menu and make folders in the start menu to match the locations. EG the 'maths' folder has the local maths apps and the 'library' folder has the local library apps. Tell the users to go the folder that matches their location.

There you go. How many PCs are we talking? Less than 20 i would use option B, otherwise E.

Thank Post

We're talking 50 machines. I have used method E. Our LEA recommended this. The first method would have been to just list all software ont he network for all users and they would just find out the hard way if software was installed or not. I felt this might lead to a little confusion so I sorted it into folders. Problem is I know reception kids are going to find it difficult to navigate to the software as they are used to shortcuts on the desktop.

Is there a way to have a log on script or something just ont he computers in the computer room that only allows the start menu folder for computer room to be displayed or is this too awkward to configure?

Thank Post

Not sure what you mean there. I think you are asking if computers in one specific location (computer room) can have their own local start menu for any user who uses them, as opposed to the network start menu those same users have elsewhere.

If that is right, then i do not think it is possible. You would need specific user accounts for that area.

Thank Post

You could use a loopback policy on the OU containing the suite computers. These machines could then have the start menu redirected to their own location.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by snrweb
    Not sure what you mean there. I think you are asking if computers in one specific location (computer room) can have their own local start menu for any user who uses them, as opposed to the network start menu those same users have elsewhere.

If that is right, then i do not think it is possible. You would need specific user accounts for that area.
    That's exactly what I mean.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    You could use a loopback policy on the OU containing the suite computers. These machines could then have the start menu redirected to their own location.
    So for this you mean override the ranger start menu settings with a GPO for the computer room machines that redirects to a different folder on the server? Thus giving each room it's own folder?

I believe ranger can only do this for users rather than computers so this should work shouldn't it?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by starscream
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    So for this you mean override the ranger start menu settings with a GPO for the computer room machines that redirects to a different folder on the server? Thus giving each room it's own folder?

I believe ranger can only do this for users rather than computers so this should work shouldn't it?
    I don't think this would work because Ranger settings are processed after GPO settings as mentioned earlier. In this way, the start menu/desktop locations would be overwritten during logon with the Ranger ones.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread