+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Deep Freeze Wake On Lan? in Technical; What's going on here? I recently installed Faronics Core Console 3 (ver 3.5) and Deep Freeze enterprise (just updated) on ...

Thank Post

Deep Freeze Wake On Lan?

What's going on here?

I recently installed Faronics Core Console 3 (ver 3.5) and Deep Freeze enterprise (just updated) on a Windows 2008 R2 server. The idea was to install the Core Console Agent Installer on our images for a certain lab. I wanted to then push the Deep Freeze Workstation Client to each lab machine with WOL and a scheduled windows update maitenance embbeded event. I made sure WOL relay was checked for the Core Console Agent Installer, and I setup the Deep Freeze Workstation Client to WAN and put the ip of the server. I gave it a few test and everything seemed ok. I could shutdown both the test laptop and the test desktop as well as wake up the desktops. I setup a scheduled wakeup time and watched the laptop and desktop, both came on. Everything seemed ok. Then I go to try it again and nothing, no response. I recreated the Workstation client and left just the defaul LAN settings, and the samething would happen. It would work sometimes and not work other times.

Currently I have:

Wakeup workstation: 730am
    Run Maitenance: 800am
    Shutdown workstation: 400pm

I have a feeling I will get to work tomorrow and it will say workstation was not responding.

Anyone have some ideas on this issue?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I recently upgraded from Faronics Deep Freeze Enterprise Console 7.2 to 7.3. I have 7.3 running on Server 2k8r2, i7, 4GB ram. While on 7.2 we pretty much had WOL working everywhere across our network. My WOL schedule on 7.3 has been very inconsistent since upgrading from 7.2.

On 7.3 about half of the systems fail to WOL per the schedule, but if I manually send a WOL command to the systems that didn't wake it works and the system WOL. That pretty much rules out ARP cache and network connectivity to me.

I've only ever used the basic Deep Freeze Enterprise Console, no faronics core or anything. Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mutseibert View Post
    I recently upgraded from Faronics Deep Freeze Enterprise Console 7.2 to 7.3. I have 7.3 running on Server 2k8r2, i7, 4GB ram. While on 7.2 we pretty much had WOL working everywhere across our network. My WOL schedule on 7.3 has been very inconsistent since upgrading from 7.2.

On 7.3 about half of the systems fail to WOL per the schedule, but if I manually send a WOL command to the systems that didn't wake it works and the system WOL. That pretty much rules out ARP cache and network connectivity to me.

I've only ever used the basic Deep Freeze Enterprise Console, no faronics core or anything. Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
    Ive given up with WOL. I have the bios set to auto wake the desktops at a certain time before the labs are opened, i have it set to say

Turn on 2am from bios
    Run Maitenace Mode at 4am, shut down after running.

This allows me approx 2 hours to schedule any software pushes i would need.

Just the other day we upgraded to System Center 2012, so the machiens woke up at 2am, rebooted thawed at 210am, remote launche the batch file to install System center 2012 at 230am. Then reboot forzen at 330am. The machiens then proceed to their "maitenance mode" and run windows updates.

Thank Post
    That's a bummer to hear. We had a pretty good hold on WOL with the Deep Freeze 7.2. I've not had the same luck with 7.3. Faronics keeps telling me to check network settings, bios settings, network card settings, but all that and our WOL is working all across our network, it's just the scheduled WOL that doesn't work well.

Thanks,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread