+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Papercut and Brother 3040cn in Technical; I am having a problem with a Brother 3040 printer. When loaded onto a computer from the server, with Papercut ...
    Thank Post

Papercut and Brother 3040cn

I am having a problem with a Brother 3040 printer. When loaded onto a computer from the server, with Papercut installed, the only thing that will print is a Test Print. If a user sends anything else, Papercut logs the print, the data light flashes on the printer, the printer motor whirrs, and nothing comes out. If however I load a local TCP-IP printer port on the machine and load the printer using the same drivers, it prints. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Hi Clare,

Can i suggest a few things. This can occasionally be caused by a couple of settings on the specific print queue, namely "Advanced printing features" and "Bi-Directional Support". We have details on how to change these settings here:

PaperCut KB | Disabling Advanced Printing Features
    PaperCut KB | Fixing Print Spooler Crashes - improving print spooler stability

Please let us know if changing these settings help.

Another option would be to tell papercut to ignore the printer or in this test just disable the print provider service and see if the same thing happens.

Thank Post
    Both Advanced printing features and Bi-directional support have already been switched off, to no avail. I have just found out how to tell PaperCut to ignore the printer, which allows printing, but I don't really want to leave the printer unmanaged for long.

Thank Post
    Do you have any filters or watermarking enabled?
    Is it possible you can try another driver?

Thank Post
    Watermarking is enabled. I've tried two or three drivers. I've found that enabling "send directly to printer" allows printing, but it appears to have reset itself twice now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is the platform, 2008 Server, 2003 Server? Are you printing from a client via the server or directly from the server and does that make a difference.

Which drivers have you tried, PCL, PS, ones from the ones from the Windows Update Catalogue Microsoft Update Catalog

The ones from the vendor site:
    Brother Solutions Center: HL-3040CN: Downloads: United Kingdom

There are XML ones, there is also a firmware update that may help, it is a Brother though which usually means dodgey drivers, at least in all my experience with them.

Thank Post
    2003 server. I'm printing from a client via the server. Printing from the server also fails, although I can print a test page! I've tried the drivers from the Brother site, and the ones on the CD accompanying the printer, which were slightly older. I'll have a look at the firmware update tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Clareq; did you have any further luck (or hassles) with this particular issue? If you are still experiencing the strange behaviour as above, I'd recommend contacting support@papercut.com, or call the relevant number listed here: Contact Us - PaperCut

You can link back to this thread for reference, but a quick summary of all the information you have provided in this thread would be of assistance as a starting point for the support tech who responds to your call or e-mail.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I should of updated - I had to remove watermarking on that printer. I'd like to switch it back on at some point, so I'll keep an eye on updates.

Thank Post
    No problem. It's likely that the issue you're seeing there is model-specific, so if you are able to perform some additional testing, raising a ticket with the support team would be the best way to get it working for you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread