+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, 2 Domains on 1 IP Range. in Technical; Hi I need a little help in trying to get my new network running. I've inherited a school where they ...

Thank Post

2 Domains on 1 IP Range.

Hi I need a little help in trying to get my new network running. I've inherited a school where they have one (semi broken cc3) domain (domain A), a 2nd (vanilla) domain (Domain B). For a short while (lets say a period of 3 months) they need both domains to run on the same network simoultaneously.

What's the best way to go about this. Can I run Domain A and domain B on the same DHCP Scope, obviously both have their own DHCP, DNS servers.

What I've come up with is I will exclude an IP range on Domain A (lets say 50 addresses) extending the exclusion as and when required. I will then statically assign the clients on domain B the excluded ip addresses, until such time where I will be in a position to completely switch off domain A.

I have configured WDS on domain B. During the middle of the day when its reasonably safe that everyone has turned their computers on and have an IP assigned,

1) I switch off dhcp and dns on domain A
    2) Activate the dhcp scope on domain B,
    3) Build the stations that I need to,
    4) Then deactivate dhcp on domain B
    5) and reactive dns and dhcp on domain A.

I have set my WDS to listen for unknown clients, but without an activated dhcp scope on domain B the pxe boot process does not pick up an IP address.

Is there a better way to get these two domains working on the same range simultaneously, or I just have to put up with this long winded process until they are back on one domain?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Domain A with a shortened DHCP scope and Domain B with a limited scope for exactly the number of addresses needed which are allocated via reserved IP addresses. Or DHCP reservations for both?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Yes I've seen this many times - one DHCP scope but two domains with a trust. Absolutely pointless these days, but back in the days of Windows 98 it was considered more necessary.

Thank Post
    ah yes ofcourse, If i reserve the mac address of the client for an IP in Domain B, i then don't need to set a static ip, and so avoiding a second visit to the machine to change ip allocation to DHCP, once domain A is decommissioned.

Nice one. I'll test that.. but I'm not sure with two DHCP servers running, how do I stop the client from getting an IP from DHCP on Domain A

Thank Post
    Use AD without DNS integration. Setup two DNS zones on the same server. DHCP with one scope.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread