+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger Deny Local Logons in Technical; Hi all, I'm supporting a site which uses Ranger and some of the staff have local logons for use at ...

Thank Post

Ranger Deny Local Logons

Hi all,

I'm supporting a site which uses Ranger and some of the staff have local logons for use at home. Trouble is when then try to login Ranger pops up with a message 'You are not allowed to login locally' and then shuts the machine down. It's probably staring me in the face but does anyone know where I can find the checkbox that controls this setting?

Thank Post

Re: Ranger Deny Local Logons

question is why are they using ranger on laptops!. i'm fairly sure that there is no way around this , i spent a while investigating it and didn't find a solution.

Thank Post

RANGER has to 'see' the main manager program on the local network.

for laptops you either have to allow the user to have the local admininstrator account password - no way in hell if you have the slighest common sence.

Or you invest in the pile of poop that is RANGER SOLO.

Thank Post

Right, not really the answer I was looking for but it stops me wasting any more time on it.

Thanks guys.

Thank Post

As above, Ranger will stop any local logon except for 'administrator'. (Thats THE administrator ID not someone who is a member of the local administrators group).

Most sites do not use Ranger client (or Ranger Solo) on staff laptops as they get a bit shirty with people trying to restrict 'their' computers in any way.

However, I have seen Ranger Solo used as a threat.

EG

"Mr teacher, if you continue to mess up your laptop with viruses/spyware/ adware/games etc etc and expect me to fix it as i clearly am a permanent 24*7 free IT help desk for all your home computing needs, then i will put Ranger Solo on it!"

Thank Post

I am the IT Manager, I say what goes on the laptops - there is no discussion about it since I have to maintain it.

I don't use Ranger solo because its a pain in the ass, however I do lock the laptops down and I do run automated purges of the data

As I "I don't care you lost your MP3, Family photos, banking details, ripped off games etc - this a WORK tool not your personal playground.

Now all I have to deal with is the thieving bastards that think that a laptop is theirs to keep when they go to teach at another school...........

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly_Transport
    I am the IT Manager, I say what goes on the laptops - there is no discussion about it since I have to maintain it.

I don't use Ranger solo because its a pain in the ass, however I do lock the laptops down and I do run automated purges of the data

As I "I don't care you lost your MP3, Family photos, banking details, ripped off games etc - this a WORK tool not your personal playground.

Now all I have to deal with is the thieving bastards that think that a laptop is theirs to keep when they go to teach at another school...........
    spot on matey, teachers sticking there own stuff on laptops is a PITA.

TBH the teachers running off with laptops are thieves, serial number and details to the police i'd say!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread