+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, iTALC Problem in Technical; Hey guys, So... I've recently explained to my boss about this piece of software that is able to view live-desktops ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy iTALC Problem

Hey guys,

So... I've recently explained to my boss about this piece of software that is able to view live-desktops in various computer labs (iTALC)

And for the past week, I've been slowly getting through each computer, even though there is only like 25... However...
    The install on all of them has gone fine, without a hitch. Key files are all setup, pointing to UNC file paths on the LAN - I've tested the permissions on these, and they are working fine, so is authentication.

However, when it comes to setting up the iTALC application on master computers, there is a little hitch-up which is making me want rip. my. hair. out.

I can connect the computers fine to them, I can see them being interacted with, however, after about 30 minutes, the iTALC application on the master computer will crash, completely, requiring the program to be restarted.

It keeps telling me that the application (ica.exe) has encountered an error and had to close... This is extremely annoying.

I have tried installing this on multiple iTALC versions - 2.0 and 1.9.7

But, it is still crashing, which I find to be very weird...

All the clients are running Windows XP Professional SP3 - Norton is installed on the clients, but I don't see how this could be affecting them?
    The master computers are all running the same except for the main server, which is running Windows Server 2008 Standard 64 bit

If you guys have any Idea what could be causing this, could you please, please let me know?

P.S - Would any of you know what the VPN feature of the program does, I am looking into a way that we could remote view students who are not currently in the lab but are at home doing work for their respective classes using some sort of a VPN/Terminal Server solution?

Thanks,
    - James

Thank Post
    the group I am part of is also using iTALC and is having a similar issue. We have recompiled the source again with a few minor tweaks and have gotten better results than the original 30 minutes. I cannot give you any details on the source or what had been changed because I was not the one who made the changes. however if you lower the refresh rate on the master system to 1per second or 0.5 it might give you a bit more stability. We had some success with varying the refresh rate, but ultimately it will still crash.

our team is currently debugging the error and we are fairly certain it has something to do with the older version of x11VNC that was compiled with it originally.

good luck with your problems, I'll try to keep you updated if we have any success.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's crap and crashy, which is why it's, well, crap and crashy for you. We tried it as a temporary alternative to Lanview but went straight back to lanview as it wasn't so prone. Well, lanview 3 isnt (and if you're XP then use that) but LV4 seems a bit iffy. Same job exactly.

Thank Post
    I understand your frustration with the program(and believe me I share it), however calling it crap because it's crap is ridiculous. it's like saying the sky is blue because it's blue -- of course it's blue but why is it blue? Why is iTALC crashing? Could be lots of things, could be one thing. If someone doesn't try to figure it out though then the software will still be useless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sariel View Post
    the group I am part of is also using iTALC and is having a similar issue. We have recompiled the source again with a few minor tweaks and have gotten better results than the original 30 minutes. I cannot give you any details on the source or what had been changed because I was not the one who made the changes. however if you lower the refresh rate on the master system to 1per second or 0.5 it might give you a bit more stability. We had some success with varying the refresh rate, but ultimately it will still crash.

our team is currently debugging the error and we are fairly certain it has something to do with the older version of x11VNC that was compiled with it originally.

good luck with your problems, I'll try to keep you updated if we have any success.
    Dear Sariel

Could you open all details of your work to improve ITalc stability?

I have exactly the same issues you described in your post.

Thank you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread