+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Net-Runna - Any Feelings and Opinions Wanted in Technical; Hi all, i am considering starting to use net-runna instead of ghost. mainly because it seams like the process is ...
    Thank Post

Net-Runna - Any Feelings and Opinions Wanted

Hi all, i am considering starting to use net-runna instead of ghost. mainly because it seams like the process is more streamlined with Net Runna. I would love any reviews, feedback etc on this product.

Also i noticed some people saying it is expensive-any suggestions on the pricing would be good too.

Thanks all

Thank Post

Re: Net-Runna - Any Feelings and Opinions Wanted

I have just finished a trial of it.
    It was ok, there were one or two problems, but it worked (mostly)
    however, for my school with 150 pc's, the head thought that £4k was far too much to spend on software.

If it had been half that amount, we may have been able to get away with it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah I think for our 250 it was around £5000 Stewart what were the problems? I have to admit it is much more expensive that Ghost and at present we are using Ghost and DeepFreeze and even combining the prices of these its more expensive. Good points, low storage every image uses very little space as it's based on a single install of an OS and the changes in regards to that so if you have XP, 2K and 98 five different systems and 10GB of apps for each instead of having say 15GB per image per OS per system 15 x 15gb = 225gb you'd have 10GB of apps 5GB per OS and the size of the drivers 30GB tops in other words very little space is used I saw a 2gb image install in a min or two at boot up, then saw it reboot and install 2K each time it took about 4mins from power up to login screen including the installation. They offer money if you can break it enough to stop it being able to repair itself. I can think of a few ways but they believe Linux boot disk et cetera won't find the hidden partition and that it will rebuild exactly as before. So it's faster to image than Ghost is, it provides better options than Deep Freeze which although is very good can't filter out certain files or folders without moving them to another volume and redirecting them. Net-Runna lets you filter on folders, files, extensions et cetera letting you say these areas of the hard drive don't need to be rebuilt every time a change occurs (Documents and Settings anyone?). The price is the stumbling block I'm afraid as I'd have already bought the product myself otherwise. £10 - £12 per client would be much more attractive and even though it has more features than I've talked about here such as the backup options for laptops away from the network I think lowering the price would mean a huge uptake in schools which would of course make up for the reduction in price. I have to admit I'm a big fan of Net-Runna!

Wes

we tried it but didnt work to well for us even in the demo
    and as said here it is expensive
    mind you i did hear of file image ghosting mentioned during the beta versions of vista,
    im guessing that didnt make it into the final build

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What didn't work on your site? I'd like to know of any problems I haven't come across before buying it next year?

Wes

it was about 12/18 months ago so cant remeber a great deal, but the test pc couldnt connect to the server, chap blamed it on too much inteference on our network. which i knew was rubbish.
    I certainly like the idea but i think a good solution in practise may be some way off and as StewartKnight mentioned as well it is very touch and go if it will work and i doubt it would work 100% each time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread