+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Impero Not picking up computers. in Technical; We got a stange problem. We use impero to turn on computers buy using the WOL . (all turned on ...
    Thank Post

Impero Not picking up computers.

We got a stange problem. We use impero to turn on computers buy using the WOL. (all turned on bios) and it only turns on 1/2 the computers. Also we not picking up all the computers that have got impero on.

Any ideas

Karl

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Ping @russdev a message - he works at Impero

Thank Post
    think i might have sorted currently. Switch playing up for that room...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    what was the switch doing ( or not as the case may be ) ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Let me know if got any more problems been bit manic as we had a few telephone issues with the phone provider which complicated matters today. Anyway give me a shout if running into any problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    what was the switch doing ( or not as the case may be ) ?
    It wasn't letting trafficthough. rebooted and it was fine

whole room turned on and off then.

1 room to do tomorrow

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh Yea - I was on hold for 35 minutes before resorting to e-mail for which I got an immediate response and as usual problem resolved. Fabulous software thanks.

Strangely, slightly hijacking the thread my 85 year old mum who has one of those council provided emergency care alarms switched from BT to Sky recently and this afternoon discovered her phone line had dropped off. Sky who identified the issue as a down line engineering problem gave a best offer is to look at the problem within the next 48 hours. now that's disgusting service. The Council were no better saying that it was nothing they could do anything about either! Luckily, a family member is able to stay with mum overnight in case of emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Hi

Let me know if got any more problems been bit manic as we had a few telephone issues with the phone provider which complicated matters today. Anyway give me a shout if running into any problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Oh Yea - I was on hold for 35 minutes before resorting to e-mail for which I got an immediate response and as usual problem resolved. Fabulous software thanks.

Strangely, slightly hijacking the thread my 85 year old mum who has one of those council provided emergency care alarms switched from BT to Sky recently and this afternoon discovered her phone line had dropped off. Sky who identified the issue as a down line engineering problem gave a best offer is to look at the problem within the next 48 hours. now that's disgusting service. The Council were no better saying that it was nothing they could do anything about either! Luckily, a family member is able to stay with mum overnight in case of emergency.
    Same here. We got problems ringing out currently.

back on topic. We use WOL here. All our classroom computers have the option turned on within the bios. But a few computers dont seem to start up. But it seems to be the same few.

Any idea? We are running the lastest impero client.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Same here. We got problems ringing out currently.

back on topic. We use WOL here. All our classroom computers have the option turned on within the bios. But a few computers dont seem to start up. But it seems to be the same few.

Any idea? We are running the latest impero client.
    Hi

Just pasted some info from KB article we are creating to diagnose WOL issues. If still got a problem PM the school details and I will give you a call..

Russell

Checking To See If Client Is Accepting Requests.

Please check that the machine can be woken up by a third party tool (some tools at end of this post) this will help you diagnose if the problem is with the Impero server sending out the WOL request or with the machine receiving the request.

If Third Party tool does not wake it up try the following suggestions (Step 5 and drivers is often the cause if Windows 7): -

Checking The Computer Settings
    1. Make sure that WOL is enabled in the BIOS
    2. Check that ACPI enabled in the BIOS.

Please note that Microsoft® Windows® XP should be installed on systems with ACPI enabled in the BIOS. Systems which do not support ACPI or are set to APM in the BIOS may not work correctly. If your system is set to APM, you must change this to ACPI and rebuild the workstation - you cannot simply change the setting without re-installing Windows.
    3. Make sure that the computer is powered in some way for example turned off but plugged into the mains supply.
    4. Check to see if the system is alive even when powered off by checking that both the network card and the hub/router link light is flashing.
    5. Check the drivers of network card are the latest manufactures network drivers and not the default ones from the operating system.
    Check that within Windows that the network adapter has been configured to allow WOL.
    Check in Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - (select network adaptor) - Properties - Advanced.
    1. Some computers must be powered up before they will respond and they have been correctly shutdown in a controlled manner. For example if you disconnect the mains supply, you must reconnect the mains supply and power up the system at least once.
    WOL & VLans
    If using WOL on a network that is VLAN’d then you should note the following: -

You will to have to make sure that either switches are configured to allow directed subnet broadcast through the different subnets or make sure that there is always a machine on within each subnet running the Impero client. This can be for example a server in each subnet.

Third Party WOL Tools
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../magic_pkt.exe - AMD utility
    Gammadyne's Free DOS Utilities - simple free utility
    Depicus Windows Graphical User Interface (GUI) - a free GUI WOL utility
    http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/w...-lan-cmd.aspx- a free WOL utility (wolcmd) and other interesting utilities
    Wake-on-LAN [ MATCODE.com ] - free WOL and GETMAC utilities

Further Information On WOL
    Network Connectivity — Remote wake-up basics
    Last edited by russdev; 6th December 2011 at 04:59 PM.

10. 2 Thanks to russdev:

mac_shinobi (6th December 2011), newpersn (13th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Russel

Just had a play with those tools above and not had much luck with them.

I just check the bios in a few computers and its all set like the others next to them.

Im out of ideas now..

Karl

Thank Post
    Interestingly we had the issue with MS LAN drivers, replaced with intel ones all working now (WOL enabled in BIOS)

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MGSTech View Post
    Interestingly we had the issue with MS LAN drivers, replaced with intel ones all working now (WOL enabled in BIOS)

Steve
    We not using the MS Drivers. Be the Intel Drivers or Dells Broadcom drivers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello Karl

If 3rd party tools above are not waking it up sounds like PC settings stopping it. However if PM me the school details I will give you a call and remote in and took a look...

Russell

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread