+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, CC4 and Printer Credits in Technical; Agreed, the CC3 to CC4 migration would be pretty seemless as most of it can be imported/exported only thing which ...

Thank Post
    Agreed, the CC3 to CC4 migration would be pretty seemless as most of it can be imported/exported only thing which cannot be migrated is your custom user templates. BTW we don't even let anyone bar my team reset passwords or add printer credits are we being too cruel lol?

Having been to a few schools with CC4 implemented, they seem happy enough (they didn't use the printer credit system anyhow). The blessing with moving away from CC3 would be the freedom of not faffing around with DOS network drivers to build, it really limited our choice in workstations and laptops this refresh......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    Having been to a few schools with CC4 implemented, they seem happy enough (they didn't use the printer credit system anyhow). The blessing with moving away from CC3 would be the freedom of not faffing around with DOS network drivers to build, it really limited our choice in workstations and laptops this refresh......
    Yep we are very happy with CC4.3, server 2008r2 and Win7 is working really well, the system is solid and leaves me times to get on with more interesting things than just managing the system.

3. Thanks to sparkeh from:

andyturpie (24th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Other than a niggling issue with Printers following users around the school (not literally!) we are happy with our CC4.3 Server 2008 R2 install with Windows 7 clients. Hopefully fix to sort the printer problem is due in the next few weeks.

Thank Post
    The list of things which won't be ported over from cc3 or cc4.2 as well as add ons under development is listed on the support website and is talked about on the RM communities website. Although this clearly hasn't been communicated by your account manager it would have been prudent to do some checks yourself. At any stage did you ask if all of your current cc3 options would be available on cc4.3?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    The list of things which won't be ported over from cc3 or cc4.2 as well as add ons under development is listed on the support website and is talked about on the RM communities website. Although this clearly hasn't been communicated by your account manager it would have been prudent to do some checks yourself. At any stage did you ask if all of your current cc3 options would be available on cc4.3?
    You assume people are told about things like this beforehand.

If it happened with the first HT I worked with, it would have been done, badly, over a weekend without anyone being told.

Thank Post
    Well printer credits for CC4.3 is under field trial currently by the looks of it so you may be able to get in on this if you dont want to wait. RM Connector it seems they have no timescales for if or when this will be available on CC4.3.
    CC3 - CC4.3 software compatibility

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    @Rooser:

Bought CC4 early doors cheaply and stipulated my own hardware for the job, obviously its 2003R2 but it was a brand new commission. We have always used the printer credits and the print management tools which work very effectively due to our printing strategy which the SLT team backed and has seen our printing costs fall dramatically from 14k to 3.5k.

Staff receive 200 printer credits every week and they are fastened down to printing off their own subject printers and non of the ICT suit printers so no one is using them as reprographics now like they used to.

@webman built a great web app called student viewer which allows the staff to view the students work and mark it without having to print it off and they can access this from home which saves drastically on toner and paper costs.

We have not looked back since migrating from our very rigid CC3 to our new CC4 which we did in 8 days, it has been a very successful migration.

I know that we have the odd printer mapping problem but this will hopefully be resolved shortly, it is nothing that the staff and students cannot cope with as they really don't need to print that often because of the strategy and the student viewer app.

We have now had 10 years of RM products and to be really honest it has been absolutely fantastic for our school and I hope it keeps evolving, we will see as I think they have learnt some very hard lessons of late but from this they have made a positive upgrade path from their earlier products.

I have no objections to using a Vanilla product either may I add as I do think that Microsoft have made valuable steps in moving forward. I do feel that when windows 8 becomes a full product we will see some real intuative use of an OS especially with the different hardware scenorios, can't wait

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Other than a niggling issue with Printers following users around the school (not literally!) we are happy with our CC4.3 Server 2008 R2 install with Windows 7 clients. Hopefully fix to sort the printer problem is due in the next few weeks.
    We are also having this issue but to be honest i have only just realized that its actually a issue now that i have seen this post.

This would explain why users are getting printers mapped to wrong rooms (or indeed to the room they were last logged into), anyway good to know and hopefully shall have a fix for this soon.

Would just like to point out that we hadn't been made aware that printer credits wouldn't be working, recently moved from CC3 to CC4 over the summer, the printer credits were even covered in the two day training along with the network recycle bin!!! and then when the product appears no sign of it!! same with the low level internet access control and domain content filtering.
    Last edited by MR3006; 25th November 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MR3006 View Post
    We are also having this issue but to be honest i have only just realized that its actually a issue now that i have seen this post.

This would explain why users are getting printers mapped to wrong rooms (or indeed to the room they were last logged into), anyway good to know and hopefully shall have a fix for this soon.

Would just like to point out that we hadn't been made aware that printer credits wouldn't be working, recently moved from CC3 to CC4 over the summer, the printer credits were even covered in the two day training along with the network recycle bin!!! and then when the product appears no sign of it!! same with the low level internet access control and domain content filtering.
    NRB, Printer Credits and Internet Control are all either currently in Fieldtrial or looking for volunteers for fieldtrial now - so hopefully shouldn't be much longer for you to wait.

Thank Post
    We too are in the same situation, upgraded from CC3 to CC4.3 in the summer and now printer credits, so we are using PCounter very successful

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Of course I asked, it was one of the main criteria.....a salesman wants his sale and now its come back to bite them in the backside....

At any rate we have come to an agreement, but it took a lot of shouting and steps up the managerial ladder to do so.....

Thank Post
    Have you asked RM to Field Trial CC4UPD109 (I think thats the right one) as they are currently in Field Trial for release in February 2012, It is supposed to be much petter than teh exsiting CC4 Printer Credits as they have had to rewrite evrything (As mentioned above) as teh regualr CC4 one is a very bad Add-On pack and extras for the CC3 one, If you have a valid Support Contract you should be able to Field Trial it just send an email to them (Email is on the Update page or PM me for it)

I have to admit teh 2008 CC4 System is much better and well built but i do think they should have waited a little longer and spent more time on it and getting it to work fully than partly. Hopefully though by the time they release CC4SR3 they will make everything work on CC4, However overall it is still a good improvement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12