+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Disable logon access to a PC in Technical; Hi, First post so be gentle with me... We have 44 PC's in a library that at present are open ...

Thank Post

Disable logon access to a PC

Hi,

First post so be gentle with me...

We have 44 PC's in a library that at present are open for all students to wander in and use whenever they feel free.

The librarians (bless them) have asked if they can move to some form of organised booking system.

They wish the PC's by default to bar students from logging in, they would like the students to have to book a PC from their reception desk, the student will hand over their ID card and be told which PC to use. At this point they hit a button/flick a switch and the PC goes from Deny to Allow.

Now with Group Policy I can specify that the Student Active Directory Group is blocked from logging onto the PC, but finding a way to do the changing of the Deny/Allow is causing a minor headache with my script kiddie tech.

Meanwhile my boss wants to throw money at the situation, he's got USB dongles in mind, personally I'd rather go down the "free" route.

So does anyone have any ideas how to do this with VB scripts or any ideas of companies that provide such a service?

Cheers

Rob

Thank Post

Re: Disable logon access to a PC

We have the AB Tutor Control software here. What you can do with the software is create a group and then "lock" those pcs using the teacher control. When the student books out the PC, the librarian can select to unlock the machine so the student can log on to it.

Its not automatic fancy keycard type stuff, but the AB Tutor control software is not particularly expensive last time I checked.

This is how I would probably do it....

Thank Post

What if the student turns the PC off and back on again? Would it still be locked?

Thank Post

You could give them access to an active directory task pad veiw with just the PCs in the libraries in then allow them to enable and disable the machine accounts.

That way they can assign the pupils to certain machines and know who logged on what last(good for keeping track of any vandalism)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts

we use NetOps in our ICT Suite which has a "locking" feature.

Click on Attention and the PC cannot be used. The student can reboot as often as they like, but it won't make any difference. Not sure what we paid, but it can't have been expensive!

Thank Post

Thanks for the responses so far, I've been looking at some remote control software for other things, but I'll look at the functionality of those you've mentioned. I'm kinda liking Mr_T's approach though... Anyone would think I'm Scottish!!

*no offense meant to any Scots on this board... *blows kisses*

Thank Post

Sounds quite easy to do if you can code. Have a database on the network which has a booking form, probably web based. Then set a small app on the client machine to run automatically on login. This app would check the DB to see if the user name was booked in at that time, if they are not it logs them out forcibly. Sounds complex but in practice it should be very easy.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    What if the student turns the PC off and back on again? Would it still be locked?
    Yes, you just have to enable Permanent Locks. The AB Tutor client runs as a service, when the service starts after a reboot the computer locks.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by klawd
    We have the AB Tutor Control software here. What you can do with the software is create a group and then "lock" those pcs using the teacher control. When the student books out the PC, the librarian can select to unlock the machine so the student can log on to it.

Its not automatic fancy keycard type stuff, but the AB Tutor control software is not particularly expensive last time I checked.

This is how I would probably do it....
    I setup a similar solution but using LanView from MST Software, which is free.

The Librarian has access to a LanView server and can use the "Get Attention" feature to lock the machines until such time that they are booked. She also has the LanView Traffic Lights available to turn the internet on or off.

Thank Post

You could give them access to an active directory task pad veiw with just the PCs in the libraries in then allow them to enable and disable the machine accounts.
    I've used this before for other stuff as well such as resetting passwords but be careful of the staff you give it too..................!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    I've used this before for other stuff as well such as resetting passwords but be careful of the staff you give it too..................!
    I agree with you there! Is it me though or do librarians seem to alot better with IT than teachers. I don't mean they are HaX0R 31337 but they are "good users"

Thank Post

Well once again thanks for the input peeps, the boss (in his infinite wisdom) wants some script...

so...

a front end with a button for each PC will send a single line to the Run part of the registry forcing it to immediatly shut the PC down. When a user books the PC the button is clicked and the line is removed from the registry allowing the Student to login, when they've finished and collected their ID card the button is pressed and the line is put back into the registry forcing the PC to shutdown if anyone tries to log in. A legal notice will be placed after CTRL-ALT-DEL informing the Student what will happen if they haven't booked in.

Not quite what I had in mind but it is is free... now just need to find the whip and get the bod out the back with the nimble fingers to make it work..

Thank Post

a front end with a button for each PC will send a single line to the Run part of the registry forcing it to immediatly shut the PC down. When a user books the PC the button is clicked and the line is removed from the registry allowing the Student to login, when they've finished and collected their ID card the button is pressed and the line is put back into the registry forcing the PC to shutdown if anyone tries to log in. A legal notice will be placed after CTRL-ALT-DEL informing the Student what will happen if they haven't booked in.
    Sounds al ot of work for such a simple task that could be done as we said above with task pad view.

Have you shown your boss the task pad view?

Thank Post

Yes I did and he was more worried about how it would look from an end user point of view. One can only do so much, I created the task pad and showed him how it worked but he still rather create work.

Oh well......

Thank Post

It always makes me laugh at how much work IT people have to do to complete a simple task as a librarian just policing the room... A simple 'No you do not use the computer' should easily be sufficient for the classroom management. IT should be a tool to assist.. not the primary control method - what happens when it fails?

That said - we use AB tutor control in the classrooms for demo's and lock outs and restricting internet access should that be needed. For about £100 a go and no client license its not that bad. We deploy the client via active directory so we can control each of the pc's across the domain (about 700).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread