+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Teachers resetting pupil passwords in Technical; As we are upgrading this summer from a server 2000 and classlink network to a new mostly vanilla server 2003 ...

Thank Post

Teachers resetting pupil passwords

As we are upgrading this summer from a server 2000 and classlink network to a new mostly vanilla server 2003 network with Netsupport schools or Manager installed, how easy is it for teachers to reset pupil passwords from there workstations? Is this something that server 2003 lets them do easily or can Netsupport do this?

Dave.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Teachers resetting pupil passwords

search the forums for 'self service password reset'.

Thank Post

Your best option and cheapest is to install the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 admin tools onto all workstations, which is an msi you can download. Then using the Microsoft Managment Console, add the Users and Computers snap in, then create a custom tasks view, and save it. Put a shortcut to it on your staff desktops, and also give deligation for staff to reset passwords permission the root OU of the pupil user accounts.

I've attched a screen shot of the password manager i created using this process. Only takes 5 minutes max to create.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Even easier (for teaching staff and yourself in less tuition time) is to use password control from wisesoft. No need to install the msc onto the client then, just delegate permisions to change passwords to the teacher group.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Only takes 5 minutes max to create.
    Looks good. Can you list the steps you took to create this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Self Service Password Reset lets pupils reset their own password when they forget it and also has a web based interface to allow teachers and other staff to reset pupils passwords.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    1. Go to an XP Station and make sure the Server admin tools pack is installed.

2. click start, then run, and type mmc

3. File, Add Remove Snap in

4. Click Add

5. Select Active Directory Computers and Users

6. Click Add

7. Click OK

8. You will then have the normal Active Directory user/computer manager, go to the root OU where your pupils are stored.

9. Right Click on the OU and select new window from here

10. Close the other window from the root of the domain as we do not need that.

11. Click View then "New taskpad view"

12. Select Horazontal List as style

13. Click Next and Next again giving the view what ever names you want.

14. Do not run the next wizard.

15. Highlight a user account, then go Action, Edit Task Pad View, then click on the tasks tab.

16. Click NEW then menu command, and then select Reset Password on the right hand pane. Click next, give it an icon. Click Finish close the boxes. Now when you click a user you get the reset password icon appear.

17. Now just do a tidy up, get the view as you want it, click file options give it a name, icon for the console, save the console and create a shortcut to it on a shared drive and as along as the admin tools are install on the station it will work.

Sorry if i have missed a bit off, i'm rushed this morning.

8. Thanks to Quackers from:

Harlquinth (7th July 2010)

Thank Post

I have to say, i disagree with giving staff the rights to change a student password. Staff are a pain in the ass for not locking there work stations when they walk away from the machine/classroom. This gives the carrupt student to go ahead and change the users password. armed with know the username and passwrod they could do all sorts, and most of time its cyber bullying or deleting student work. In my opinion I think it should be left up to us the tech support staff to change passwords.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

I only give it certain staff. those I know i can trust.

Sadly this doesn't include the IT teaching staff.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    I have to say, i disagree with giving staff the rights to change a student password.
    I agree with this in principle but in practice in a school of over 2000 users it's just not possible to keep control of passwords as pupils constantly forget them. It would soak up too much time if we didnt delegate some control to certain lab staff.
    There's also the possibility that if a member of staff asks us to do a passsword reset it may be that the pupils class is finished before we get a chance to do it if we're out of the office for any reason. This was one of the main reasons we relaxed the policy.

We use MMC console's aswell BTW

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Our receptionists are well versed in changing passwords via the SSPR web interface.

I can't remember the last time I changed one.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    I have to say, i disagree with giving staff the rights to change a student password.
    I agree with this in principle but in practice in a school of over 2000 users it's just not possible to keep control of passwords as pupils constantly forget them. It would soak up too much time if we didnt delegate some control to certain lab staff.
    There's also the possibility that if a member of staff asks us to do a passsword reset it may be that the pupils class is finished before we get a chance to do it if we're out of the office for any reason. This was one of the main reasons we relaxed the policy.

We use MMC console's aswell BTW
    I agree with you on a large scale, its difficult to meet the demand of students needing there passwords changing.

@ Dave-a

Im sure you probably aware of this but, I would double make sure that the password policy on the server is set high, so staff cant go giving kids passwords like 'Superman' etc.

I have very little confidence with staff when it comes down to network security. Some times I feel like they just laugh behind our backs.

Thank Post

Can you guys imagine what it's like in a primary school re kids forgetting passwords and staff being a bit lax??? to the point of going into liquid form?

On the plus side we have very few kids who think much above learning someone else's password as the height of Crowleyesque naughtiness, so I'll shut up now.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by becktonboy
    Can you guys imagine what it's like in a primary school re kids forgetting passwords and staff being a bit lax??? to the point of going into liquid form?
    How many primary schools give all the pupils a unique password? All of our pupils have the same network logon password for this reason. They WILL forget it.

At one school, pupils were allowed to set their own password for their new e-mail accounts. I counted at least 25 times within the first two weeks (and many more times afterwards) that the following conversation took place:

Teacher: Student X cannot log on to their e-mail
    Me: (to pupil) Did you change your password from the default password?
    Pupil: Yeah
    Me: What did you change it to?
    Pupil: I can't remember

My college had a great way of doing it. At the beginning of every year, all new students had an account and password generated for them automatically. The usernames and passwords were printed off and handed to the reception "helpdesk" staff in the learning centre. Students were not allowed to change their own passwords, so any student who forgot their password went to the helpdesk in the learning centre and it would be given to them once they proved who they were.

The above way of doing it meant that resetting passwords was never an issue for the IT support staff and the helpdesk staff only had to look up what the password was, not actually change it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    1. Go to an XP Station and make sure the Server admin tools pack is installed.

2. click start, then run, and type mmc

3. File, Add Remove Snap in

4. Click Add

5. Select Active Directory Computers and Users

6. Click Add

7. Click OK

8. You will then have the normal Active Directory user/computer manager, go to the root OU where your pupils are stored.

9. Right Click on the OU and select new window from here

10. Close the other window from the root of the domain as we do not need that.

11. Click View then "New taskpad view"

12. Select Horazontal List as style

13. Click Next and Next again giving the view what ever names you want.

14. Do not run the next wizard.

15. Highlight a user account, then go Action, Edit Task Pad View, then click on the tasks tab.

16. Click NEW then menu command, and then select Reset Password on the right hand pane. Click next, give it an icon. Click Finish close the boxes. Now when you click a user you get the reset password icon appear.

17. Now just do a tidy up, get the view as you want it, click file options give it a name, icon for the console, save the console and create a shortcut to it on a shared drive and as along as the admin tools are install on the station it will work.

Sorry if i have missed a bit off, i'm rushed this morning.
    Thanks for this - it makes building a 'emergency toolkit', for ordinary tasks if I am off ill, nice and easy. Just create a couple of these for different functions, bung em all under one MMC and voila, an easy to use admin tool.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast