+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Teachers resetting pupil passwords in Technical; _BAT_ stated:- >>My college had a great way of doing it. At the beginning of every year, all new students ...

Thank Post

Re: Teachers resetting pupil passwords

_BAT_ stated:-

>>My college had a great way of doing it. At the beginning of every year, all new students had an account and password generated for them automatically. The usernames and passwords were printed off and handed to the reception "helpdesk" staff in the learning centre. Students were not allowed to change their own passwords, so any student who forgot their password went to the helpdesk in the learning centre and it would be given to them once they proved who they were.

The above way of doing it meant that resetting passwords was never an issue for the IT support staff and the helpdesk staff only had to look up what the password was, not actually change it.<<

Hi
    I use a similar method, I give each student a username and password when they join the school and this they keep until they leave after 4 years (or sometimes sooner). I have all users names, year group, usernames and passwords on a spreadsheet which is only kept in the teachers resources area so it is only teachers who can access it and it is read only with the password written in white on a white background, the way they read it is to select the cell and read from the top box.
    I give each user a slip with all their details on and they are instructed to keep the slip until they know everything off by heart and they are told the consequences of telling others their details.

If a child forgets their password they simply ask the teacher who can get it easily for them from the teachers resource area. (Note: No techie involved ) )

This has worked extremely well for several years and I only have to change a password on a rare occasion.

Maybe this will give someone else an idea to make a system up for themselves using a similar base.

We are a middle school with about 600 students.

BR
    Trav

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trav
    _BAT_ stated:-

Hi
    I use a similar method, I give each student a username and password when they join the school and this they keep until they leave after 4 years (or sometimes sooner). I have all users names, year group, usernames and passwords on a spreadsheet which is only kept in the teachers resources area so it is only teachers who can access it and it is read only with the password written in white on a white background, the way they read it is to select the cell and read from the top box.
    I give each user a slip with all their details on and they are instructed to keep the slip until they know everything off by heart and they are told the consequences of telling others their details.

If a child forgets their password they simply ask the teacher who can get it easily for them from the teachers resource area. (Note: No techie involved ) )

BR
    Trav
    This is what we were doing until recently (even though it makes my teeth ache as a proper Network Manager - then some wonderful teacher left their station logged in, kids nicked the lists off the teacher area - and lo all hell broke loose. Cue a miserable couple of weeks for resetting 1400 passwords and dealing with the barrage of calls and visits about students who don't know their passwords - argghh.

I'm looking for a way to make it harder for them to get/change their passwords - as stroppy kid says to teacher "Can't remember me password", teacher kid spot this as code for "let me go off and wander about for half an hour or I'll be a pita in your lesson", kid is dispatched to tech support, where they arrive after a fag, snog and wander, disrupt us for a minute or two, and they a slow stroll back in time to collect their bag. Or praps I'm just getting cynical... :?

Thank Post

Hi again

This system has worked well for me so I'm sticking with it for now but will keep an eye for something better and more secure which again doesn't involve me keep giving passwords out time and again.

Hope you come up with something soon.

Keep us all posted.

BR
    Trav

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    How many primary schools give all the pupils a unique password? All of our pupils have the same network logon password for this reason. They WILL forget it.
    My understanding (which may be wrong) is that every primary school child has to have a unique username and password within the next year because of the forthcoming VLEs. That is certainly what we have been told by our LEA. We have always had one username and password per class. I am in the process of changing that because I've been asked to, and I'm certainly looking at the issue of password resets very closely now!

Thank Post

We've delegated AD control to certain trusted staff over the student OUs

Thank Post

a 50p donation to charity in order to have your password reset does the trick for us. I don't get more than 10 requests to reset a password a week ina school of 1300.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Teth
    a 50p donation to charity in order to have your password reset does the trick for us. I don't get more than 10 requests to reset a password a week ina school of 1300.
    we do exactly the same and we never get more than 5 or 6 requests a week.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    Self Service Password Reset lets pupils reset their own password when they forget it and also has a web based interface to allow teachers and other staff to reset pupils passwords.

Ben
    Where can I find this? I tried the link on your post, Ben, but I can't find anything there to download. I also tried the downloads section of Edugeek. Can find something called Self Service Reset, version 1.0. Don't think this is the right version and not sure if it is even the same program. Sorry - I'm obviously missing something.... Also, does it come with instructions for setting it up?

Thank Post

Will this get more and more complex in the medium term I wonder? Im wondering how people syncronise local accounts username / password with remote accounts (username / password) if there is e.g. local AD/email and LEA VLE? Anyone coming across the need to authorise access to remote resources (e.g. Premium content provider, secure access to school resources from home, etc. ) Anyone looking at a second way to secure accounts e.g. USB key. Anyone looking at account/settings transferability from school to school?

Thank Post

50p to change a forgotten password?

For god's sake dont tell our students - there will be a bl**dy riot if they find out that everywhere else isnt £1.50 and that they are not getting it cheap at £1...............

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SONAS
    Will this get more and more complex in the medium term I wonder? Im wondering how people syncronise local accounts username / password with remote accounts (username / password) if there is e.g. local AD/email and LEA VLE? Anyone coming across the need to authorise access to remote resources (e.g. Premium content provider, secure access to school resources from home, etc. ) Anyone looking at a second way to secure accounts e.g. USB key. Anyone looking at account/settings transferability from school to school?
    I hope someone looks into this soon, although I know some secondaries/colleges already have VLEs. The same set of questions are making for sleepless nights. We are a junior school, so not sure what will happen about account transfer from infants, for example. I am hoping that someone in the LEA is going to be able to shed some light on how the whole new setup is supposed to operate (meeting coming up in June).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

To answer your questions:

a) I expect so. Complexity makes fools of us all.
    b) We don't have to. Our VLE (Moodle) is sitting on our local network. So it has access to the same authentication information as everything else.
    c) Moodle can deal with this in several ways. The authentication sytem is a 'plugin' model. Most of the default plugins cope with any reasonably standard situation. Else ways, you are free to write you own. As Moodle is open source. Secondly, local moodle users can 'roam' to a remote moodle installation using their local credentials (and it'll still make sense) with 1.8. It's a new feature, and it's really cool. I suggest everyone gives it the once over.
    d) As for two factor authentication, I'd lean towards smart cards. They've been proven to work in other similar scenarios (indeed I think Ric, for example, uses them for registration purposes). So I expect they could be integrated (with some pain).

Thank Post

Hi,

You can make use of a Password Manager to effectively manage your passwords. Lot of free tools and low-cost commercial tools are available. Using such a tool would prove very productive. Just to a Google search for Password Manager and you will see the options.

Bala

Thank Post

We have an asp based application on our intranet that ties in with AD and lets you reset student passwords. As it also connects to the print charging software, it automatically deducts 'x' amount from the student's print balance each time their password is reset (they get the first 'y' number of resets free, then it charges them after that).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Your best option and cheapest is to install the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 admin tools onto all workstations, which is an msi you can download. Then using the Microsoft Managment Console, add the Users and Computers snap in, then create a custom tasks view, and save it. Put a shortcut to it on your staff desktops, and also give deligation for staff to reset passwords permission the root OU of the pupil user accounts.

I've attched a screen shot of the password manager i created using this process. Only takes 5 minutes max to create.
    How have you attached the OU view to the custom MMC?
    I created a custom MMC myself, but i cant get the view you have on the left without the entire AD showing.

Plus, is there a way i can stop the user pressing backspace too many times to get access to the rest of AD?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast