+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM Tech Seminars 2011 - should I stay or should I go? in Technical; I need some advice. I've booked in to go to this event below in November at the Exeter venue. 85 ...
    Thank Post

RM Tech Seminars 2011 - should I stay or should I go?

I need some advice. I've booked in to go to this event below in November at the Exeter venue. 85 is good value CPD I think! I'm going as an e-safety assessor hat part of which includes looking at the technical side in a bit of detail but i want to understand it more. However, i want to spend my time wisely at the event.

"CPD for Network Managers and Technicians Essential IT Training Seminars
    The Technical Seminars are designed for staff with technical or a managerial responsibility for the schools' IT systems and focus on the technical aspects of efficiently managing a complete network.
    Delivered at nine locations during November delegates will increase their technical skills and knowledge, by attending sessions directly related to their day-to-day roles.
    Please encourage your technical colleagues to book their places on these essential IT training seminars."

So, there are three seminars out of 9 I can go to, the first I'm going to is fairly straight forward and connected to my role:

- Network Security: Managing the Unmanaged - about using and managing personal devices using the network
    - The second I thought I'd go to is: Understanding the Virtual Network - although I don't think it's about Second Life it sounds worthwhile!

I'm undecided on the last one though, I under stand one title "The Technician's Toolkit" David Wrightbut but not the other two...I wondered, any chance one of you who knows about this stuff can take a look at the two seminars and see which might have most relevance to someone who is seeking to influence e-safety?

The two are:

- 64-bit:What's in it for me? Nicola Faulkner

- Ultimate Scripting: PowerShell Introduction Michael Oakes

It maybe its right out of my comfort zone so perhaps I should just take the time to browse round the stands! Anyway, any advice appreciated. : ) Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Powershell is probably going to be the most transferable and useful overall of those two. The 64bit one seems odd, go 64bit, yes, why, better drivers, memory addressing and futureproofing along with better use of the CPU and more security, next.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

TimMcShane (12th October 2011)

rad
    Thank Post
    I got the offer to go, but there are two close to us in West London, either Oxford or London town, one my boss is going on, and the other I am on a course anyway, so looks like I'll have to save the "offer" for BETT 2012!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimMcShane View Post
    I need some advice. I've booked in to go to this event below in November at the Exeter venue. 85 is good value CPD I think! I'm going as an e-safety assessor hat part of which includes looking at the technical side in a bit of detail but i want to understand it more. However, i want to spend my time wisely at the event.

"CPD for Network Managers and Technicians – Essential IT Training Seminars
    The Technical Seminars are designed for staff with technical or a managerial responsibility for the schools' IT systems and focus on the technical aspects of efficiently managing a complete network.
    Delivered at nine locations during November delegates will increase their technical skills and knowledge, by attending sessions directly related to their day-to-day roles.
    Please encourage your technical colleagues to book their places on these essential IT training seminars."

So, there are three seminars out of 9 I can go to, the first I'm going to is fairly straight forward and connected to my role:

- Network Security: Managing the Unmanaged - about using and managing personal devices using the network
    - The second I thought I'd go to is: Understanding the Virtual Network - although I don't think it's about Second Life it sounds worthwhile!

I'm undecided on the last one though, I under stand one title "The Technician's Toolkit" David Wrightbut but not the other two...I wondered, any chance one of you who knows about this stuff can take a look at the two seminars and see which might have most relevance to someone who is seeking to influence e-safety?

The two are:

- 64-bit:What's in it for me? Nicola Faulkner

- Ultimate Scripting: PowerShell Introduction Michael Oakes

It maybe its right out of my comfort zone so perhaps I should just take the time to browse round the stands! Anyway, any advice appreciated. : ) Cheers!
    I would go for toolkit (just for a chance to heckle David) as someone said go for Powershell. What you find within each 3 tracks there is one route which while is not beginners route but not your all out lets start editing routing tables I think you may found that more useful than 64 bit one. Don't worry about comfort zone Michael is very good speaker who can communicate to all the levels within a room.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice, Synack and russ, appreciate your time in answering. : ) I shall map out my day accordingly! I'm hoping to tweet during the day on their offical hashtag #rmtechsems2011 so if I do heckle it will have to be virtually so I don't get thrown out!

@innerquest

Thank Post
    I've stopped going more than year ago as RM seminars stopped being that useful, on last one when people ask a question on the subject, the guy who was doing presentation did not know most of the answer, but some one form audience did - and guy who was doing the presentation supposed to be technical. Those seminars used to be much better 2-3 years ago, now you will have 9 presentation and maybe 1 or 2 is worth the time. So in the end we decided no to go to anymore.
    But maybe they improved, I hope you get there what you expect.

Thank Post
    Kcymer, you make an interesting point, my experience of seminars and events generally is that they go up and down and with regional ones they can even vary region by region! I'm intending to tweet on the event I'm going to using the hash tag #rmtechsems2011 so I'll be happy to let you know how I get on! My twitter username is @innerquest

When I spoke to the organisers when booking my space they said it consistently got high marks on evaluations, I guess I'll find out once I get there. As you say, it may have improved since you went and maybe the guy was just having a bad day or looking for some audience participation!

I wonder, when you went, were there many teaching staff there, ie senior management team members or was it mainly network managers?

Am I right in thinking that there are more network managers, e-learning directors etc on the senior management team now than ever?

Thank Post
    The Technical seminars mainly get us technical bods attending it (well those who have valid support contracts which now rules us out), with the odd sprinking of teaching staff depending on their interests.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    The Technical seminars mainly get us technical bods attending it (well those who have valid support contracts which now rules us out), with the odd sprinking of teaching staff depending on their interests.
    No more freebies for you then Fred

Thank Post
    Nope, although I did get a nice letter and 2 tickets appear in the post yesterday about the seminar.... not sure if they were sent out before the account expired or not... then again the only thing on the round this time that sparks our interest is the Powershell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have also been invited to the Exeter event... Ive been spotted, has my cover been blown (LOL)... and will be blogging/tweeting for it too. Anyone in the Southwest region, we can also use our section of the forums (under Regional) to linkup...

Any items anyone would like raising - please PM me, or post here.

Thank Post
    Hi TheScarfedOne, I'm at the Exeter one as well! What will you be wearing? Star Trek (orginal of course) T shirt with Cheezy wotsit crumbs? : ) Or shall we be guided by our tweets...

Thank Post
    BoredGuy, they are open now to the non support contract holders for 85 so you could still come if your organisation ponies up the dough.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TimMcShane View Post
    BoredGuy, they are open now to the non support contract holders for 85 so you could still come if your organisation ponies up the dough.
    I could have gone for free this round as a long standing attendee (plus the fact they mailed me tickets before my contract expired ;P), but alas the sessions this time that would be of any use to us is down to 1, so it's not even worth the fuel cost of rumbling up to Oxford.

Thank Post
    I wonder if they'd consider streaming one of the seminars, anyway, I'll keep you in mind as I tweet away, and I'm sure TheScarfedOne will as well ; )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread