+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, CC4 Database, Can you rebuild it in Technical; Hello, This is my first post here so am sorry if this is all wrong... Can you rebuild the CC4 ...

Thank Post

CC4 Database, Can you rebuild it

Hello, This is my first post here so am sorry if this is all wrong...

Can you rebuild the CC4 database, Ours has become very slow and annoyingly painful.

If so what software do you have to have and is it on our server.

Additional Notes: We have a support contract with RM and our on a new CC4.1 network (Windows 2003 R2 SP2)

Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Warner View Post
    Hello, This is my first post here so am sorry if this is all wrong...

Can you rebuild the CC4 database, Ours has become very slow and annoyingly painful.

If so what software do you have to have and is it on our server.

Additional Notes: We have a support contract with RM and our on a new CC4.1 network (Windows 2003 R2 SP2)

Thanks for your help
    You have a support contract with RM. Log a call about your performance issues and they'll be able to advise you on the best cause of action to take.

How old is your network?

Thank Post
    I really wouldn't recommend doing this yourself as it's not designed with CC4 Network administrators playing with it in mind and so no tools are provided to rebuild it. Annoying as it may be you should log this with RM support and get them to investigate bacause if this is really noticeable there's more than likely something not quite right that needs changing and only TSG at RM will be able to correct this.

I take it you've tried restarting the RM Service Host service etc?

Thank Post
    Thanks for you reply, Yes I have logged 2 support calls with RM over it and all they tell me is to reboot server or restart server all work ok for about 2 - 3 days then slows again,

Does anyone have the RM Database Setup Files from the CC3 to CC4 Upgrade as Im so fed up with it and RM's silly responses that i just want to try it again

Thanks Paul

Thank Post
    Mine was done back when CC4 was first released so was done through RM installations and so don't have any setup files. I'd be surprised if anyone does seeing as a migration is the process that's used from CC3-4 now and again that's an RM process as far as I'm aware. Initially the upgrade was meant to be something the customer could run themselves but there were so many problems that this was quickly curbed. Also there'd be more involved than just rebuilding the database as AD would throw a wobbly unless you plan on starting from scratch but that would just be messy.

For the time being you should have the RM Service Host service restart batch file in place scheduled to run every morning as this will remove the need to reboot the server although you really shouldn't have to run this anymore as most memory leaks have been taken care of now. The script can be found under DWN1310981 in the RM KB.

You need to keep on at RM support and tell them that rebooting the server that often just isn't acceptable. Again this shouldn't need to be done anymore and so hints at a deeper rooted problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't warn you enough not to do this.
    If the database gets hosed through your own actions you could end up paying to get it fixed.

Make sure you are fully patched to care of the old problems that have been addressed and get onto your account manager and customer experience team to get something done.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 27th September 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    Mine was done back when CC4 was first released so was done through RM installations and so don't have any setup files. I'd be surprised if anyone does seeing as a migration is the process that's used from CC3-4 now and again that's an RM process as far as I'm aware. Initially the upgrade was meant to be something the customer could run themselves but there were so many problems that this was quickly curbed. Also there'd be more involved than just rebuilding the database as AD would throw a wobbly unless you plan on starting from scratch but that would just be messy.

For the time being you should have the RM Service Host service restart batch file in place scheduled to run every morning as this will remove the need to reboot the server although you really shouldn't have to run this anymore as most memory leaks have been taken care of now. The script can be found under DWN1310981 in the RM KB.

You need to keep on at RM support and tell them that rebooting the server that often just isn't acceptable. Again this shouldn't need to be done anymore and so hints at a deeper rooted problem.
    Ok thank you very much i have got that script to run at startup and at the begging of lunch time, I will keep on at RM i think as that is the best thing to do, But I still am tempted to try to fix the database, However i will run a P2V to test it out on first, So if anyone does have or know where i could get hold of it, it would be appreciated, Yes I agree rebooting is annoying and should not have to be done at all or at least not on a regular basis, Our CC4 networks was one of the first it did require CC4UPD001 and we ran it but we no longer have the discs for that as i think they had database stuff on there ?

If anyone can help anymore it is appreciated.

Thanks for your help so far,

Thank Post
    It may be better to schedule the script to run early morning, say 05:00 rather than during the day as a SH restart will interupt any package assignment and logon attempts

You mention that you have CC4.1...Shouldn't that be CC4.2 if you're on SR2!? I take it you have installed SR2?

I'd be interested in how you're thinking of fixing the database as no tool exists for customers!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    It may be better to schedule the script to run early morning, say 05:00 rather than during the day as a SH restart will interupt any package assignment and logon attempts

You mention that you have CC4.1...Shouldn't that be CC4.2 if you're on SR2!? I take it you have installed SR2?

I'd be interested in how you're thinking of fixing the database as no tool exists for customers!!
    Sorry yes that is my mistake it should be cc4.2 we do have SR2 installed, Sorry for any confusion, Ok I will bear that tip in my mind i will try it out tomorrow and see,

As for fixing it I have no idea im just wondering if anyone has CC4UP001 as if i rember rigtly it has it on ther (Or if I find my discs) or seeing if somone who has the CC3 to CC4 Upgrade Builder could PM me the relevant files or something, But at the moment im not to sure

Thanks
    Last edited by Paul_Warner; 27th September 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added more info

Thank Post
    You can download the database management system installer from the website of the people that make it... You could also restore the database from an early backup of when your server was running well. However, I strongly recommend against attempting to do either of these.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    You can download the database management system installer from the website of the people that make it... You could also restore the database from an early backup of when your server was running well. However, I strongly recommend against attempting to do either of these.
    Thanks I understand you warning, My ultimate goal would be to create a new one but i ahve no idea how to create the Schemas and XML files and everything else inside of it and link it all to the CC4 System,

But thanks anyway

Thank Post
    Thanks I understand you warning, My ultimate goal would be to create a new one but i ahve no idea how to create the Schemas and XML files and everything else inside of it and link it all to the CC4 System, But thanks anyway
    For that reason alone I think it's a foolish move to try doing this. Not to mention the fact that you could completely screw up your network as the RM SQL database is an integral part of CC4. Still. If you are up for the ride and your SLT support you on it, then good luck. :-) Starting from scratch would mean a rebuild of all your network as the DB stores package assignment, client, user information etc.

Thank Post
    As for fixing it I have no idea im just wondering if anyone has CC4UP001 as if i rember rigtly it has it on ther (Or if I find my discs) or seeing if somone who has the CC3 to CC4 Upgrade Builder could PM me the relevant files or something, But at the moment im not to sure.
    Update 1 was intended for pre SR1 networks, not to take an SR2 network back to it's original state. I can gaurantee that RM will not support this action and you will have to pay to get your network recommisioned if this harms your existing installation. Obviously you are going to test this with your P2V installation but think you may be wasting your time. Postgres is the native database for CC4 but without CC4 in-depth knowledge you won't get anywhere.

The script will help you in the mean time I can assure you that. You should speak to your account manager and get the issue escalated if support aren't acting upon this issue.

rad
    Thank Post
    Everyone says dont do it, and if you do and come running back, the cream pie will be in your face.

Sorry but I'd be nagging your account manager daily if these issues were happening at our school. If you are experiencing difficulties, try and ignore the RM India Techncicians and be put through to Abingdon, that way you will get something resolved.

Thank Post
    There are so many things that make this a terrible idea. It is not a question of if this will screw up your network. It will. You will then have to pay RM to do a complete re-installation of your network. Do not do this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast