+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, LanView 4 Wake-On-Lan in Technical; Afternoon everyone. Just taking a quick look at LanView 4 and my first impressions are that its a really useful ...
    Thank Post

LanView 4 Wake-On-Lan

Afternoon everyone.

Just taking a quick look at LanView 4 and my first impressions are that its a really useful piece of software.

My problem is that I cannot seem to use the WOL feature. I have checked that the bios is set to allow the WOL feature but when I select a machine to Wake Up, nothing happens.

I am using my workstation as the LanView Server, the test workstation is on the same VLAN subnet, I am able to view the machine with VNC, I just cant get it to wol.

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks

Thank Post
    have you checked the network settings as well.

Bios alone does not configure the WOl and you need to go into the propeties of the network card

3. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

Admiral208 (27th September 2011)

Thank Post
    This is from a doc I wrote for our Deepfreeze instructions.

Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista are ACPI capable. These operating systems do not support wake from S5 state, only from standby. However, in some ACPI capable computers, the BIOS may have a setting that allows you to wake from an S5 state anyway. If there is no support for wake from S5 state in your BIOS settings, then you will be limited to wake from standby when utilizing these operating systems in ACPI computers.

In the adapters advanced settings, there is a setting titled "Enable PME." To explicitly allow wake up with a Magic Packet from shutdown under APM power management mode, set this to "Enable."

In ACPI capable versions of Windows, there will also be a setting titled "Wake on Settings." This controls the type of packets that will wake up the system from standby and should be set to use both Magic Packets and direct.

In ACPI computers running ACPI aware operating systems such as Windows XP, in Device Manager, the adapter properties will display a tab titled "Power Management." The setting "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" should be checked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    have you checked the network settings as well.

Bios alone does not configure the WOl and you need to go into the propeties of the network card
    Yep, checked these. Its all correct

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    This is from a doc I wrote for our Deepfreeze instructions.

Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista are ACPI capable. These operating systems do not support wake from S5 state, only from standby. However, in some ACPI capable computers, the BIOS may have a setting that allows you to wake from an S5 state anyway. If there is no support for wake from S5 state in your BIOS settings, then you will be limited to wake from standby when utilizing these operating systems in ACPI computers.

In the adapters advanced settings, there is a setting titled "Enable PME." To explicitly allow wake up with a Magic Packet from shutdown under APM power management mode, set this to "Enable."

In ACPI capable versions of Windows, there will also be a setting titled "Wake on Settings." This controls the type of packets that will wake up the system from standby and should be set to use both Magic Packets and direct.

In ACPI computers running ACPI aware operating systems such as Windows XP, in Device Manager, the adapter properties will display a tab titled "Power Management." The setting "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" should be checked.
    I have checked all of these settings and they are correct. I know the machines can be woken from a shutdown state because we use another piece of software called SchoolVue and this will wake the machines without any problems. Are there any settings in the server program that I need to check or should it work 'out the box'?

Thank Post
    check what lanvierw uses to wake up.. Magicpacket or direct

Thank Post
    our workstation computers are set to accept both of these methods for WOL.

Thank Post
    When we were playing with Deepfreeze we found that if the machines were shut down by other programs of manually then we could not get the WOL to always work. We were able to ensure that Deepfreeze took control if we used it to shut down the systems. If Lanview can shut down a system then try that to see if you can the WOL the system??

If that doesn't work then I am stumped

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread