+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, AB tutor - How to apply Policies to offline computers? in Technical; Hi, Is it possible to apply Policies in ab control to computers that are switched off so that when they ...

Thank Post

AB tutor - How to apply Policies to offline computers?

Hi,

Is it possible to apply Policies in ab control to computers that are switched off so that when they are switched on the Policies apply automatically? AB tutor does have access to AD.

At the mo we are having to go round the entire school switching all computers on to add or delete a policy.

Many thanks.

Dan

Thank Post
    Hi

I know this will be a silly question but why are you wanting to apply policy through abtutor instead of group policy.

As far as I know to make changes to a computer you will have to turn it on. We alllow teachers to do things like block the internet but as soon as the controlling pc s turned off its lost. This stops teachers making permanent changes of computers.

Richard

Thank Post
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. as we have the software we thought it would be goood if we can set some permanent policies like blocking anything with facebook in the url and automatically shutting down computers at 5:30. I have tried adding the policies to groups but this doesnt gt applied to offline computers.

Can i also ask, if i were to apply the policy using our admin machine and we were then to turn it off would the policies still remain?, Also do the policies update on restart so if i added a new blocked website to the list, would the offline computers pick this update up when they turned on?

Finally if we apply a policy to the computers onour adming machine and then installed ab tutor control onto another computer, would this computer see what policies have been applied.

I would test for myself but teamviewer has crashed again and would like to know for when im in next.

many thanks

Fred

p.s. We do use a website filter which is provided to us by the council but we would also like an instant website blocker.
    Last edited by fredted40x; 18th September 2011 at 05:12 PM.

Cue
    Thank Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ABTutor very similar to Netsupport School (never used AB) in that settings mean absolutely nothing if the tutor console isn't open?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't ABTutor very similar to Netsupport School (never used AB) in that settings mean absolutely nothing if the tutor console isn't open?
    AB Tutor control is a bit more cleaver and applies until the policy is either timed out or told be cleared.
    There is different ways to set up AB Tutor regarding the policies basically its in the creation of the polices where you can tell it to apply permanently meaning it will apply until the policy has been taken off so for the computer being switched off yes the policy is still there.

Teachers can turn these polices off unless you set up admin account on each tutor control version of AB, The way we have it set up at our school is we have an admin account on each AB and then use "Class View" so the teacher can view that class and apply set policies, With regards to others viewing the policy yes everyone can see whats applied.

Unfortunately they wont update them selves as there not really meant for sort of filtering protection against like Facebook, the only policy we have applied permanently is Removable application block, it just stops kids running games and applications from pen drives any other questions i will be happy to help.

Thank Post
    Hi

You need to filter the internet with a proxy is isa server dont use abtutor. Use abtutor for things like blocking a page tempararily because kids are playing but any premanent block put in your proxy.

Yes other abtutor consoles can make changes

We have it set so that if a client looses contact with the abtutor console at reboot it goes back to normal.

Abtutor sometimes crashes and needs stopping and reopening.

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread