+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, cc3 network in Technical; Hi i need to know what is cc3 network.what kind of hardware or software it have. Only thing i know ...

Thank Post

cc3 network

Hi

i need to know what is cc3 network.what kind of hardware or software it have. Only thing i know about school networks is that they have pc with xp and server i.e. 2003/2000. i am guessing it is new server for schools. Please guide me even if you think i am way out of my league here.

thank you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: cc3 network

CC3 stands for Community Connect 3, and is by a company called RM (Research Machines). It is a network management software layer that sits on top of Windows on the server and workstations, and eases the management of the network - users, workstations, printers, restrictions, remote access and software packages and so on.

It is a very politicial subject on here - some people have CC3 networks, some don't. Some like it - some hate RM and/or disagree with things that make your life easier.

Thank Post

@webman - have you ever come across a situation where you haven't been able to do something that you ideally wanted to do because the network is cc3 (as opposed to a standard windows network)? Just curious... trying to work out why people (including my NM) dislike RM so much.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

_Bat_: no - never. A lot of people judge RM and their products on their experiences or negative reports on the 'old RM' many years ago. You will probably find some posts on here by Russdev asking people critical of RM if they've used CC3 in the past few years - to which there are usually no responses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As got cc3 network will answer that question as well.

No been able to do everything wanted to do.

Reason people hate RM is same reason people dislike Microsoft or Apple really..

When it comes down to people often have one experience with it maybe early 90's and they assume it is same.

We have had cc3 for 3 years + and never had 'issues' people seem to want to associate with RM.

But anyway my view if well know do search on RM on the forum

Back to op in hand....
    Russ

Thank Post

@_Bat_: I don't think it is so much a case of the RM layer preventing you from doing stuff. It is possible t ignore all the RM tools and do things 'properly' but you have then spents lots of money for nothing.

That's the problem with CC3 (or indeed other systems - although to a lesser extent). The cost can be huge. If you have a competent NM that can cope with the workload you don't really need it. Spend the cash on resources to better the teaching

Thank Post

I have noted however, that Ranger Suite's gone very RM-ish. It's not good and no where near such a good company when it was indepedent. For instance, the new account manager is terrible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @_Bat_: I don't think it is so much a case of the RM layer preventing you from doing stuff. It is possible t ignore all the RM tools and do things 'properly' but you have then spents lots of money for nothing.

That's the problem with CC3 (or indeed other systems - although to a lesser extent). The cost can be huge. If you have a competent NM that can cope with the workload you don't really need it. Spend the cash on resources to better the teaching
    Not for nothing...

I would say that in some cases rm is not route to go but when your support is made up of one person (and not tony's army) then it is useful.

But then as said before I have better things to do with my time (and time is money as they say) then spend 8 weeks getting a non vanilla network setup (and yes imho to have an stable and embed solution then it takes at least 8 weeks).

Anyway as usual these threads are going into rm this and rm that it is all personnel choice but at the end it is what is useful for the school.

Regards

Russell

Thank Post

thank you for all the help guys, infact i was fillingin the application form and school uses cc3 and training will be provided but i wanted to know what is it, I have used rangers so now i can feel confident to say i am right person for job

thank you

Thank Post

this is what i think...

RM provides a standard learning platform os, hardware, support and tools at a price, with this you can pay staff peanuts and employ IT monkeys (i am one of these)...you pay for a fixed service, that is easy to comprehend and easy for schools to understand and impliment.

Standard network you have a proper network, thats cheaper, more efficient, safer, more flexible, however in theory you should be paying industry grade and pay for IT professionals?

basically i dont want to work in a school ever again, because government run organisations are in efficient, stupid, pay badly, and dont value anyone.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    _Bat_: no - never. A lot of people judge RM and their products on their experiences or negative reports on the 'old RM' many years ago. You will probably find some posts on here by Russdev asking people critical of RM if they've used CC3 in the past few years - to which there are usually no responses.
    Do not be fooled... RM is the devil and they will be taking your job in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by saidei
    thank you for all the help guys, infact i was fillingin the application form and school uses cc3 and training will be provided but i wanted to know what is it, I have used rangers so now i can feel confident to say i am right person for job

thank you
    Stay with ranger.. It's far far cheaper and more flexable

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Do not be fooled... RM is the devil and they will be taking your job in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by saidei

thank you

Stay with ranger.. It's far far cheaper and more flexable
    Maybe you want to stay topic not every RM post is about BSF you know...

Russ

Thank Post

CC3 networks cause me a lot of stress. Not as bad as the 2.4 network I manage but not much better!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that bandgeekmafia78. Can't see why though unless it wasn't comissioned properly, ours has been fine the past 4.5 years.

Thank Post

I have just started at a RM networked school and have been told by county i cant have an admin login and change the service level from Gold to Bronze cover until i attend a RM course.

Do i need to attend this? The main thing i need to do with a admin login is check the server anti virus/back ups and update the network.

All the software will still be uploaded by county, that charge £180 for every msi!!!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast