+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, cc3 network in Technical; Do you have physical access to the server? If so, here's a boot CD you can run to fix that: ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: cc3 network

Do you have physical access to the server? If so, here's a boot CD you can run to fix that:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'll admit I removed CC3 from our system last year and I am very pleased with the results. I'm usually employed with this in mind though. The last two jobs for instance were to remove Connect 2.4 and CC3 and replace it with a vanilla network. CC3 is a good tool if you haven't got the time to adminstrator a network because of how many others things your expected to do. Personally it just stopped me installing certain packages and in certain cases stopped them running even after a successful install. My main gripe was installing VB .Net and this didn't run properly i.e. you couldn't run your source code because of the security features locked in by RM I asked them about this and they said they didn't allow programming language packages to run because of the risk of malicious source code however we are a 6th form school and we teach A Level computing so I wasn't happy with this as to fix it temporarily we had to give them elevated permissions to all of the pupils on this course. However I install a vanilla server infrastructure in about 3 - 5 days (includes time to test the logins and security) tweaked things over another couple of weeks and over the six weeks break we installed the vanilla OS and apps which was no different to CC3 really we rebuild all the machines every term anyway. This was all done between other day to day jobs et cetera so I think we the right planning you can install Vanilla Networks easily and for me the vanilla network has been a breeze to administer. We have very few problems and they are user related in 99% of cases.

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cooper
    I have just started at a RM networked school and have been told by county i cant have an admin login and change the service level from Gold to Bronze cover until i attend a RM course.

Do i need to attend this? The main thing i need to do with a admin login is check the server anti virus/back ups and update the network.

All the software will still be uploaded by county, that charge £180 for every msi!!!!!
    I'm a bit confused by this, does your LA run your Network then?
    How is this done, by some kind of support contract or is this common practice for your LA?

£180 per msi!? This also seems odd. What do they do for that money? Just allocate the package for you? Build the msi for you? Is this software that you have purchased or software distributed by the LA?

Sorry for all the qs but just interested in understanding how other places work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How on earth can you do your job with no admin access?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd boot into linux and use a few tools to find out what the password is then change it and never let them know it again

Wes

Thank Post

here's a boot CD you can run to fix that
    I'd boot into linux and use a few tools to find out what the password is
    Isn't this the forum where people recurrently moan about not being treated like professionals? ;b

How is this done, by some kind of support contract
    Googles:

http://www.thegrid.org.uk/info/trade...rt/index.shtml

Bit of a giveaway in that URL: a traded service with support contracts.

I can't get the PDFs but it has a section on a "Telephone Helpdesk Service" so chances are the RM course stuff is just them saying they won't risk having to provide an infinite amount of support for a fixed price service and want some assurance that cooper has a clue.

::shrug:: Sounds fair enough to me and if the school doesn't like it they can probably walk away.. only make that **gracefully**. It's NOT a good idea to start cracking or evading passwords on systems where someone else has contractual responsibility.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12