+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Downtime per year in Technical; Since March last year (my time of employment here) one of my schools has been running at 100% uptime (except ...

Thank Post

Re: Downtime per year

Since March last year (my time of employment here) one of my schools has been running at 100% uptime (except for planned downtime obviously) and the other has had half a day downtime due to half the school losing electricity, including the server room. This was when we realised that the UPS hadn't been configured properly and every server immediately lost power . Lesson learnt though... all sorted now. Fortunately no damage was done.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicholab
    How much downtime do you have per year when installing update on the Forest root?

Or does you system keep going even if the forest root fails?

In an RM CC3 system your knackered if the forest root fails and to migrate the forest root if takes 2 days down time. 8O
    Hi

This same on most networks if you don't run a BDC and to be honest it is working out pay-off between loading balancing among number of servers or having a backup server.

As for downtime very little as updates done out of hours like Nick install then reset at early hours or during holidays.

Planned downtime (most was during hols) is about week and a half (one week was due to major upgrades to the network infrastructure).

Unplanned we have had about 3- 4 hours at the most.

Can I be very honest here and please don't take this wrong way.

It sounds like you are having issues with your network and some of them I think are political between you and your network manager and some are procedure issues.

But it does sound like you are having some issues and think instead of trying to fix every issue as whole, take each issue and fix it.

Then look at changing your network from cc3 if that is what the school wants to do.

But word of warning until you have sorted political aspects out you are going to have lots of issues (no matter if you are CC3 or not).

I think what I can gather from your situation you need advice from someone removed from school looking at what network set-up is, what could be and how two options will have a benefit or disadvantage on teaching and learning.

I will gladly help you anyway I can so please do contact me if you wish get some more advice.

Regards

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

have to do things on the fly so to speak even through the holidays as people (teachers moan if they don't have access to the network)

The teachers have a nasty habit of not informing me if they are coming in to the school through the holidays to work with students. This means that everything i have to do is done live and to date i have had only one failed package update. Phewwwwww spent 6 hours straight, at home rectifying this problem so the little darlings could use the network the next day.

kerrymoralee9280

Our uptime is fantastic so I believe, but looking to put something on the network that monitors this.... any suggestions??? (Not nagio)

As for staff not notifying you bossman I'm sure thats that same anywhere you go. We tell them to get lumped though. We say to staff for instance, we need half a day downtime in the next 8 days at some point...... Tell us when your not planning on using the network, then they cant complain cos you have asked them.

Helps having a terminal server though, because that has near 100% uptime so the staff can always work from home if needs be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280
    Our uptime is fantastic so I believe, but looking to put something on the network that monitors this.... any suggestions??? (Not nagio)
    May I ask why not nagios?

There are a few programs listed on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_monitoring

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

If you really don't like nagios for whatever reason, I've been hearing some very good things about Zenoss
    http://www.zenoss.com/

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280
    As for staff not notifying you bossman I'm sure thats that same anywhere you go. We tell them to get lumped though. We say to staff for instance, we need half a day downtime in the next 8 days at some point...... Tell us when your not planning on using the network, then they cant complain cos you have asked them..
    Thats what I do hear also, staff are giving the opportunity to tell me when they are planning coming into school, I then pick a day / half day and notify all staff well in advance that the network will be unavilable at that time.

Thank Post

Probably a couple of days overall in the 3 years I have been here, one was during term time, and was a motherboard failure, server was back up and running within 40 minutes. The other times have been during holiday and planned, for example for server upgrades, which normally take a day for the whole set. (8 servers)

The last one was last Saturday, when we had the earthquake, took out all the servers, came in and fixed them(well turned them back on and changed a plug that blew its fuse), so it was fine for Monday

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Haha, I doubt many people in the UK can say they had to fix their servers because of an earthquake!

Thank Post

Yeah, Don't know if it effected any other schools around the folkstone/dover/deal area.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12