+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Network and Classroom Management Thread, The end of Lanview? in Technical; Ok i think i'll give it a try then. I'm assuming that it offers a few of the features that ...
    Thank Post
    Ok i think i'll give it a try then.

I'm assuming that it offers a few of the features that NetSupport does? I'm not expecting it to do everything that NSS does tho.

Thank Post
    I've just downloaded and installed this program.
    So far i love it! just waiting for the VNC password so i can see how it works on my test machines but if it goes ok then i'll defiantly be rolling it out across the network.

1 question though..What affect does it have on network performance? My network has a 1gigabit backbone will using VNC slow this considerably?

Thank Post
    I had no speed problems apart from when I used the slideshow viewer to show 10+ PC’s at once. The mouse on the PC’s became junky. I fixed this by installing DemoForge Video Hook Driver for TightVNC

http://www.demoforge.com/dfmirage.htm

PMed the password.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    I had no speed problems apart from when I used the slideshow viewer to show 10+ PCs at once. The mouse on the PCs became junky. I fixed this by installing DemoForge Video Hook Driver for TightVNC

http://www.demoforge.com/dfmirage.htm

PMed the password.
    Thanks

Having trouble viewing the previews though?
    Can view in VNC viewer just sits at connecting in remote view..

Any ideas?

Thank Post

MTS Software - LANView 3.1.3

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I would be able to download LanView 3.1.3 by MTS Software. It is a FREEWARE program, but the MTS site recently went down and there is no other place to download it.

If you have the zip file, can you please email it to kurt_holman at hotmail dot com.

Thanks!

- Kurt

Thank Post
    Such a shame this project is dead now, with no sign of open source.

The community has lost a truly fantastic peice of software.

Lanview

Thank Post

An installer?

In desperate need of the installer if anyone can email it me?

And possibly the VNC slideshow?

Had them both, got a new mac yesterday went to reinstall and bam!

damien.deakes@gmail.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
    Thanks for everyone's comments.

I've had several offers for hosting which is very kind, but there are a number of reasons why I cannot take these offers up - which I will not go into. (I will reply to those offers in the fullness of time, but havn't had a chance yet.)

In terms of charging for the software, this was always a non-starter. If I charge, I'll have to support the product. I simply don't have the time as I work full-time.

I'm quite open to admit, I'm disapointed with the lack of support from the users of LanView. I personally would be happy to donate £5 or £10 to a project if it was a product I use all the time - and I don't think this is too much to ask. However, since my other business paid for it, i've not really pushed for donations. Now my business is finishing, lack of funds will definately mean I can't afford to pay for the website.

If the community donates enough to continue the website, then I will continue to develop the software. I can't be fairer than that.

Again, thanks for all your kind words. It's much appreciated.

I know this may seem a little harsh but can I just opine a few things about this as I do have a fair amount of experience of the sort of thing you've gone through and also found a model which could work if you are open to suggestion.

I've had a code mod which worked with phpBB2 that I maintained and supported, albeit loosely for over 6 years now and of late I'm faced with a similar decision although my issue is primarily time

First can I respectfully suggest that part of the problem here is lack of appreciation, percieved as much as lack of funds. The other parts, I'm guessing are that you don't want to let go of your "baby" and a wild stab in the dark is that there's some software agreements or NDA's involved with hooks and other products somewhere along the line...

Ok... first things first.. money.

Forget about the perceived "accept cash" = "must provide support" guilt trip. It need not apply. If you're requiring a donation of 10 for a copy (I'd recommend more like 25 personally!) you can specify that support is as and when. You're accepting donations towards development time and running costs.

This a model I've used on my own code and most people were a LOT more amenable than you might think. Ironically I found that people were more polite and indicated a definite sense of value for my code because they'd parted with a little cash. The freetards were about 79% silent, 19% beligerant, 1% outright rude idiots and 1% grateful.

The bit about it being your baby... Well that I can well understand but as you can see from the concerns expressed, the product is valued but perhaps it's worth thinking about whether you can open up some of the code as well as having an exit plan. I know you may have considered this but I'll be honest when your site showed the same message as we had a year or so ago, my gut reaction was "Oh no, throwing a paddy again". As I said, harsh but you now have attention and can get your point across and are talking about rekindling things again... Am I being completely unfair?

I fully understand the frustration, the small mindedness (see those percentages re: freetards above) and the attitude that comes with a "free" project like this but I think you'll find that if you adopt some of what I've suggested you'll find your motivation returns. Nothing says, we love you like a 25 donation, even if you're putting half of that into comic relief.

Final point... This is a very experienced community of users who doubtless can and would carry the load on support just because it already happens so why not lean on that a little with LanView and use a project forum here to handle support and leave you to get on with development.

Feel free to take the comments how you will but they are intended mainly as a more honest reflection... and before you ask, no I don't use your product (not had a chance to experiment with it) so I have no axe to grind.

All the best in whatever you decide to do...

Thank Post
    Hi,

Just wanted to share my sentiments with the others put up here. We started using this at the beginning of this acedemic year after I played with it during the summer holidays. We find it an absolutely fantastic bit of kit. I had to speak to Mike Fairbrother a few times to get it working correctly but I couldn't have wished for better service. For guys that were doing it for the love of the thing, their service was better then some "proper" software vendors. Did I donate? No, and that's because it was free. Something else always got in the way of getting it done. Every now and then I kept thinking "got to get that sorted with accounts." As others have said, if I had had a trial and then had to pay a nominal fee to get the works, it would have kicked me up the arse and we would have paid straight away once we knew how good it was, though when we heard about Lanview4 was due to be released just after Christmas, we decided not to donate until this had become available and was working on our network. Again, would it have just continued to be "must get that organised". I hope not as that would make me quite a low-life. I feel guilty as hell now at the thought of MST folding is partly down to us. After reading the threads here, I've spoken to my boss who has said that if solid information comes to light that MST will come back, we're donating a "goodly" sum as the software has been invaluable to us. It's in black and white Kevin, can't go back on it can I?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123