+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, SCCM 2012 in Technical; Does anyone have any decent resources for SCCM 2012? I've already played extensively with 2007 to good effect but we're ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries

SCCM 2012

Does anyone have any decent resources for SCCM 2012? I've already played extensively with 2007 to good effect but we're not planning rollout until next year when 2012 is likely to be released. Therefore it makes sense to play with 2012 in its current state now.
    I've got it installed fine and a little bit of basic config but outside of the good people at windows-noob.com I've drawn a blank - the interface is so drastically different and some of the ways things are done is also so different that I can't apply the 2007 way of thinking to it.

For the time being I've stopped playing with it to concentrate on GPO and AD setup and planning but would like to be able to play with deployment and software pushing quite soon.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Have you tried Technet? System Center Configuration Manager 2012 (Prerelease)

You might also want to look at FEP 2012 whilst you are there... Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2012 (Prerelease)

3. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

Gatt (21st June 2011), synaesthesia (21st June 2011)

Thank Post
    I had found the link mentioned by Ric a couple weeks back but there are a lot of holes in this documentation right now. I asked our Microsoft rep about this and he said that they will be adding more and more documentation in the fall as they get ready for the release around the November/December time-frame. So far I really like what I see in the new version. I just wish there would be something out there with more complete documentation. Guess I have to wait....

5. Thanks to kubasa from:

synaesthesia (21st June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did look at Technet originally but as you say it appears to be being updated on the fly, so to speak. There's more there now then when I looked which is a good thing!

Many thanks, I'll keep tinkering

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IIRC there is a webcast shortly about it via Technet. Will try and dig out the link.

Thank Post
    I'm not looking forward to migratng 2007 to 2012!!
    Going to keep a server spare in preperation for it...

Thank Post
    I'm not looking forward to the migration either. We will be migrating from Altiris to SCCM. Should be interesting. I do like the way 2012 is setup and plus we will be saving quite a bit of money which is probably the biggest motivational factor for the migration.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Altiris - I really don't envy you

Thank Post
    Altiris worked just fine for us in the pre-Vista days. Once Vista was released, Altiris was about 6 months late getting out their "supported" version and when 7 came along they really never came out with a good solution (in my opinion). Currently, I script my whole image deployment process and in reality I could continue doing that even with the newest version but then why am I paying Altiris for their "development"? Also, it looks like they are not going to support WIM images in their newest deployment software so I would have to continue using my own scripts. Oh well. It's no skin off my teeth when we switch. Besides, Forefront will be integrated with SCCM 2012 along with WSUS. Can't go wrong!

Sorry - got way off-topic. It's just a touchy subject with me....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't know if anyone else is still looking at this, but we've come on in leaps and bounds and are starting to order in the hardware ready for our leap from CC3 into SCCM for next year. Tests have all been positive, and the guides from Portal - www.windows-noob.com have been particularly helpful, so maybe they'll provide the same to anyone else looking to test this system. We've also bought into the EES licensing scheme - Phoenix Software have been excellent in their provision of information, crystal clarity and competitive pricing, very much unlike Ramesys and RM who between them managed ludicrous pricing and absolutely no information of use to someone who's never bought into such a scheme before.

So far SCCM (2012 Beta 2 here so far) has shown itself to be particularly intuitive. Capturing and deploying images has never really been easier, injecting drivers and software is child's play, even for larger packages like Office 2010.
    We will certainly be going with Forefront for protection so I'm looking to see how well that fares in integration. Wsus just works anyway.
    I'm rather happy that it gives us an open choice to how we want to manage it - one of us prefers to use plain ol' AD, some of us prefer the GUI's available. We can use it as we see fit, and it does make us wonder why schools with on site staff would consider CC4 (not knocking it, I've made my views on it's applications clear).
    Waiting very hopefully for a release version before Easter with luck then we can go ahead all guns blazing. No migration too - nice, clean start, get rid of the years of crud that inevitably builds up on a network. Really can't wait

13. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Jollity (20th July 2012)

Thank Post
    I m excited about sccm 2012 its seem a alot more simpler compared to sacrificing several animals to get it working! forefront is a great piece of software though I wish they would have a septate console for it without having sccm

Thank Post
    I've just been looking through my VLSC and found this Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager in the list available for download.is this the full thing or is there another license i need to buy to get the most out of this?

this is the product description

Version2012

Release Date31/03/2012

Product DescriptionMicrosoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager makes it easier for IT to empower users to be productive with a unified infrastructure that delivers and manages rich user experiences across corporate and consumer devices. This license includes use rights to Virtual Machine Manager and SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard.

System RequirementsNone Provided.

Thank Post
    Depends on your licensing model, but if it's available for download for you that would be the full product. There's a lot of companies that don't realize that all the System Center Suite 2012 products are part of their licensing deal. Here's the scoop on licensing:

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/201...s-and-excites/
    Last edited by rodtrent; 9th July 2012 at 03:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread